Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: white PN from Rheingau, Cali Syrah and Chard, Steen

Local tomatoes and corn are coming in, and lobsters were $5/lb. so we did our favorite lobster salad (the one with corn and tomatoes!). The 2011 G. Breuer "Jeux" Spatburgunder Blanc was very spicy and saline, more rocks than fruit, hint of spritz. Unusual and interesting wine, but not a good match with lobster B

So I opened the 2012 Liquid Farm White Hill Chardonnay (Santa Rita Hills). I think Dave was shocked that I even owned Cali Chards. I had liked this at a store tasting and I liked again this night. Plenty of rocks, but with plenty of fruit and structure as well. Not much apparent oak, little herby note, good length, nice wine. B+/A-

Friday we flew to GA. Dinner at my parents' was lasagna with a vegetable salad, my dad (definitely not a geek!) opened the 2012 Blue Fin Syrah (California). I guess the best thing is that it is clean- dark berry juice, a bit of sweetness, simple. a touch clipped. This would do well as a BTG offering at an Applebees. C+
Saturday we cooked dinner for my folks. Grilled chicken in a horseradish/honey sauce, braised Chard, rice with mushrooms, and a cold zucchini soup. I had picked up the 2013 Neethlingshof Chenin Blanc (Stellenbosch). Pleasant floral wine, tropical fruit but enough acidity, nothing complicated but a good dinner accompaniment. B-