Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Blind St Julien, with surprises

Last night a nice group got together at Riverpark a blind tasting of wines from St. Julien. My train was late, so I scurried down to find myself the last to arrive. There was a blind white to start, some oak, pear fruit, good acids. II took a stab and got lucky with Jura Chardonnay. It's the 2012 Domaine du Pelican Arbois Chardonnay apparently a partnership including d'Angerville, I like, but not appreciably better than the Tissot Empreinte at half the price. B+/B
Restaurant did a nice job, good service. I enjoyed the charcuterie, fish tacos, and the rabbit (though when they said 1/2 a rabbit, I didn't expect 1/2 a newborn)

On to the blind St Julien

Wine #1 : Elegant, soft, mature. B+

Wine #2- Quite barnyardy at first, very full-fruited, gets cleaner, pretty classic ripe vintage Medoc. A-

Wine #3- a bit sharp and lean at first, lots of acid, I liked a lot more with some time in glass. B+/A-

Wine #4 - funky, we discussed whether it was corked or just musty, cork became clearer. NR

Wine #5 - Herby/funky, good fruit, I thought the finish a bit drying, but liked more later. B+

Wine #6 - Ripest so far, a bit California-y, plump. B/B+

Wine #7- Barnyard, fruit opens way up, goes from middle of pack to one of my favorites on re-taste. A-

Wine #8 - weird, maderized, probably seen some heat. C-

Wine #9 - Brett/bandaid, a bit clipped, midbodied, better than #8 C+/B-

Wine #10- Ripe, soft without being flabby, very good A-/B+

Wine #11 Young, sweet, ripe. B+/A-

Before revealing we did 3/2/1 voting. I lost vote sheet, but #2 (first bottle of 90 LLC) won easily, with #10 ('99 Poyferre) edging #7 (82 Gruaud) for 2nd. Most non-flawed wines got some votes.

Wine #1 1970 Leoville Las Cases

Wine #2 1990 Leoville Las Cases (Winner)

Wine #3 1986 Gruaud Larose

Wine #4 1966 Ducru-Beaucaillou

Wine #5 1990 Leoville Las Cases (4th place)

Wine #6 - 1990 Gruaud Larose

Wine #7 1982 Gruaud Larose (3rd place)

Wine #8 1975 Leoville Las Cases

Wine #9 1981 Ducru-Beaucaillou

Wine #10 1999 Leoville Poyferre (2nd place)

Wine #11 1961 Beychevelle

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:59:43 AM UTC-6, DaleW wrote:
> Last night a nice group got together at Riverpark a blind tasting of wines from St. Julien. My train was late, so I scurried down to find myself the last to arrive. There was a blind white to start, some oak, pear fruit, good acids. II took a stab and got lucky with Jura Chardonnay. It's the 2012 Domaine du Pelican Arbois Chardonnay apparently a partnership including d'Angerville, I like, but not appreciably better than the Tissot Empreinte at half the price. B+/B
>
> Restaurant did a nice job, good service. I enjoyed the charcuterie, fish tacos, and the rabbit (though when they said 1/2 a rabbit, I didn't expect 1/2 a newborn)
>

> On to the blind St Julien
>

> Wine #1 : Elegant, soft, mature. B+
>

> Wine #2- Quite barnyardy at first, very full-fruited, gets cleaner, pretty classic ripe vintage Medoc. A-
>

> Wine #3- a bit sharp and lean at first, lots of acid, I liked a lot more with some time in glass. B+/A-
>

> Wine #4 - funky, we discussed whether it was corked or just musty, cork became clearer. NR
>

> Wine #5 - Herby/funky, good fruit, I thought the finish a bit drying, but liked more later. B+
>

> Wine #6 - Ripest so far, a bit California-y, plump. B/B+
>

> Wine #7- Barnyard, fruit opens way up, goes from middle of pack to one of my favorites on re-taste. A-
>

> Wine #8 - weird, maderized, probably seen some heat. C-
>

> Wine #9 - Brett/bandaid, a bit clipped, midbodied, better than #8 C+/B-
>

> Wine #10- Ripe, soft without being flabby, very good A-/B+
>

> Wine #11 Young, sweet, ripe. B+/A-
>

> Before revealing we did 3/2/1 voting. I lost vote sheet, but #2 (first bottle of 90 LLC) won easily, with #10 ('99 Poyferre) edging #7 (82 Gruaud) for 2nd. Most non-flawed wines got some votes.
>

> Wine #1 1970 Leoville Las Cases
>

> Wine #2 1990 Leoville Las Cases (Winner)
>

> Wine #3 1986 Gruaud Larose
>

> Wine #4 1966 Ducru-Beaucaillou
>

> Wine #5 1990 Leoville Las Cases (4th place)
>

> Wine #6 - 1990 Gruaud Larose
>

> Wine #7 1982 Gruaud Larose (3rd place)
>

> Wine #8 1975 Leoville Las Cases
>

> Wine #9 1981 Ducru-Beaucaillou
>

> Wine #10 1999 Leoville Poyferre (2nd place)
>

> Wine #11 1961 Beychevelle
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Was the storage on the 1975 Leoville less than perfect? We recently tasted the '75 and it was still holding well.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Blind St Julien, with surprises

"lleichtman" wrote in message

Was the storage on the 1975 Leoville less than perfect? We recently tasted
the '75 and it was still holding well.

sorry, I meant to reply to group. Yes, I think storage was issue. The guy
who brought is meticulous (he builds high end custom wine cellars for a
living) but this was bought on secondary market, he was first to say cooked

[TN] Several pleasant surprises Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 03-04-2013 03:38 PM
TN: Pleasant (and unpleasant) surprises DaleW Wine 0 23-09-2007 07:35 PM
Some surprises in Chinatown Space Cowboy Tea 26 24-04-2006 12:57 PM
Snickers® Surprises Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-02-2006 10:52 PM
Lucky surprises from the market Ginny Sher General Cooking 10 27-03-2005 08:33 PM