Santa

Default First time drinking wine, which is best brand available in Costco?

I am verymuch interested in Wine, sofar no alcohol, which is best
branded Wine, friend of mine told me wine is good for health, can
somebody suggest me which is goo done, which should available in
Costco?. Do I have to mix anything (like soda?.) or can I pour into
glass and take it?. Also suggest best rum also?.

Also after opened wine bottle, if something is left, can I leave it
outside?. Thanks in advance.
Hunt

In article >, santa19992000
@yahoo.com says...

>I am verymuch interested in Wine, sofar no alcohol, which is best
>branded Wine, friend of mine told me wine is good for health, can
>somebody suggest me which is goo done, which should available in
>Costco?. Do I have to mix anything (like soda?.) or can I pour into
>glass and take it?. Also suggest best rum also?.
>
>Also after opened wine bottle, if something is left, can I leave it
>outside?. Thanks in advance.

Since this is your first foray into wines, I'll give you a starting point:
Germany. That said, each Costco has a different wine selection, based on their
buyer's power, and the perception of what will sell in that store's area. In
our higher-end Costco (read best neighborhood), there are usually 2-3 German
whites available. They are QmP wines, which means that they are in the upper
tier of Germany's wine standards, however, the wines themselves are usually
from "volume" producers, and, as such, are not rare collectibles. I recommend
a Spätlese Riesling to start, as they are low in alcohol, have nice fruit (
often perceived as "sweetness"), and are very food friendly. Not knowing what
the line up will be at your Costco, I cannot recommend a producer, but there
should be a few to choose from - try one of each. Prices that I have seen are
US$8-14.

Pinot Grigio is another very approachable white, and you should be able to
find a few producers' wines available - some domestic (US), and some imported.
King Estate, OR, is a nice light one, but you may not be able to find it.
These are fruity and low in alcohol, as well, though not as low as the
Rieslings of Germany.

A favorite food wine in the red category from Costco, in my family, is the
Acacia (CA, US) Carneros Pinot Noir, ~US$22. Be careful if your Costco has a
broad selection, as there is also a Beckstoffer Vineyard Acacia, that is in
the US$50/btl range, and the labels look very similar. So similar, in fact,
that I was once charged $19.95 for six Beckstoffers, because I'd bought six
Carneros. I had to drive back to pay my difference, which I didn't detect,
until I went to enter the wines into my computer. I guess I could have
pocketed the difference, but I appreciate their having a good selection and
just could not allow this mistake to go uncorrected. Pinot Noirs from the US,
especially the Carneros area of CA, are a lighter red, that pairs well with
many foods. They too offer a lot of fruit, and are readily drinkable, as soon
as you get home.

This little list is reflective of the wines that I can find at one Costco
store in my metro-area. One problem with shopping in a big-box discount store
for wine, however, is that there is usually not someone around, who can answer
your questions readily, and if there is, chances are they will not be there on
your next visit. Therefore, when starting out with wine, I'd urge you to
establish a relationship with a good wine shop, with a knowledgeable staff.
That way, on your next visit, you can say, "by the way, that bottle of xxxx,
that I bought was really acidic, and we didn't like it at all... " A good
salesman, will then recommend something to better fit your palette.

As for mixing your wine with something else - don't. With the exception of
White Port, and a very few other wines, they are best NOT mixed with anything.
Try chilling your whites to about 50 F, and your Pinot Noir to about 60 F.
Costco also offers some nice wine glasses (often Riedels) for a good price.
Pick up a set for your family/friends (four will be a good start, unless you
have a large family). I'd say to go with a set of "red wine" glasses, as they
will work better with your white wines, than will "white wine" glasses with
your red - usually.

Most of all, enjoy with good company!

Hunt

Hunt

In article >, santa19992000
@yahoo.com says...

> [...]

establish a relationship with a good wine shop, with a knowledgeable staff.
That way, on your next visit, you can say, "by the way, that bottle of xxxx,
that I bought was really acidic, and we didn't like it at all... " A good
salesman, will then recommend something to better fit your palette.

As for mixing your wine with something else - don't. With the exception of
White Port, and a very few other wines, they are best NOT mixed with anything.
Try chilling your whites to about 50 F, and your Pinot Noir to about 60 F.
Costco also offers some nice wine glasses (often Riedels) for a good price.
Pick up a set for your family/friends (four will be a good start, unless you
have a large family). I'd say to go with a set of "red wine" glasses, as they
will work better with your white wines, than will "white wine" glasses with

AG

My wife is a "physician/MD" at Yale University, and here is what we do:
1) We drink ONLY RED wine (MUCH better for health)
2) Since between us, we drink 1-2 liters/day, we don't pay more than
$5-7/bottle. (we can not tell the difference anyway, from the
much-coveted-vintage/chateau-wines, since we always drink with spicy fish &
veg dishes)
3) We drink ONLY with the meals (better for health)
4) Whites, Champagne, and occasional Cointreau and Cognac, only for special
occasions, once a month.
5) Avoid beer, due to hi-carbs & calories.
6) Avoid any OTHER alcohol, due to hi-calories.
7) Do not worry about liver damage, she is in "oncology" ))
Cheers,
Andre

Xyzsch

>My wife is a "physician/MD" at Yale University, and here is what we do:
>1) We drink ONLY RED wine (MUCH better for health)
>2) Since between us, we drink 1-2 liters/day, we don't pay more than
>$5-7/bottle. (we can not tell the difference anyway, from the
>much-coveted-vintage/chateau-wines, since we always drink with spicy fish &
>veg dishes)
>3) We drink ONLY with the meals (better for health)
>4) Whites, Champagne, and occasional Cointreau and Cognac, only for special
>occasions, once a month.
>5) Avoid beer, due to hi-carbs & calories.
>6) Avoid any OTHER alcohol, due to hi-calories.
>7) Do not worry about liver damage, she is in "oncology" ))
>Cheers,
>Andre

Andre

This seems to be a one size fits all approach, regardless of of your wife's
credentials. One to two liters per day? My
girlfriend drinks little, and I would have trouble handling half that amount of
alcohol on a daily basis. One or two glasses every other day is what my body
can handle. And a blanket condemnation of white wine and beer? This seems to
be a little far-fetched. I try to get lots of water if I drink, avoid spicy
food in general, and take in extra magnesium.

And lo carb diets are the biggest travesty ever fosted on the American public.

Tom Schellberg

Santa

Hunt,

Thanks for nice posting, I always used to see alholic drinks in
Costco, you suggested me to for local wine shop, if you know could you
please give me the some of the local shops in US. By the way, I swa
these two brands in Costco, these two I saw before your posting, one
is "Raven Wood Vitners Blend" and second one is "Beajolas Villages
(Louis Jadot)", each one is around $8 and Alcohol is around 12.5%, I
don't know whether they are good onee?. thanks.

cassandra

"Santa" > wrote in message
om...
>I am verymuch interested in Wine, sofar no alcohol, which is best
> branded Wine, friend of mine told me wine is good for health, can
> somebody suggest me which is goo done, which should available in
> Costco?. Do I have to mix anything (like soda?.) or can I pour into
> glass and take it?. Also suggest best rum also?.
>
> Also after opened wine bottle, if something is left, can I leave it
> outside?. Thanks in advance.

Hi Santa

I don't know do your area have Beverage & more shop, who hold wine tasting
every Saturday at 3 to 6pm and they serve about 10 kind of wines ( white &
red both), and they charge very cheap, the wines are ok, but it's a good way
to start and learn and find the wine you lik.

Cheers
Cassandra

cassandra

"Santa" > wrote in message
om...
>I am verymuch interested in Wine, sofar no alcohol, which is best
> branded Wine, friend of mine told me wine is good for health, can
> somebody suggest me which is goo done, which should available in
> Costco?. Do I have to mix anything (like soda?.) or can I pour into
> glass and take it?. Also suggest best rum also?.
>
> Also after opened wine bottle, if something is left, can I leave it
> outside?. Thanks in advance.

Hi Santa

I don't know do your area have Beverage & more shop, who hold wine tasting
every Saturday at 3 to 6pm and they serve about 10 kind of wines ( white &
red both), and they charge very cheap, the wines are ok, but it's a good way
to start and learn and find the wine you lik.

Cheers
Cassandra

Hunt

In article >, santa19992000
@yahoo.com says...

>Hunt,
>
>Thanks for nice posting, I always used to see alholic drinks in
>Costco, you suggested me to for local wine shop, if you know could you
>please give me the some of the local shops in US. By the way, I swa
>these two brands in Costco, these two I saw before your posting, one
>is "Raven Wood Vitners Blend" and second one is "Beajolas Villages
>(Louis Jadot)", each one is around $8 and Alcohol is around 12.5%, I
>don't know whether they are good onee?. thanks.

As to retailers, what area of the US are you in? It appears that you posted
through Google &/or Yahoo, so I can't get a handle on your ISP. Also, rather
than just going to a liquor retailer (though you might get good wine advice),
I'd look into wine specific shops.

As for the Ravenswood VB, it's a nice, inexpensive Zin. As it IS a blend, the
"house style" doesn't change much from year to year. I keep a case of it, plus
the Peachy Canyon Paso Robles (just a bit more expensive), as "house" Zins,
especially for cooking, when a medium>full-bodied red is required. It is also
a nice quaff, while cooking. A bit one dimensional, it does have nice fruit on
the palette, though the alcohol levels are up a bit, as with most Zins.

The Jadot is a very nice entry-level Beaujolais (Gamay grape), from a region
in lower Burgundy. It is a step above the Nouveau Beaujolais, which is about
to make its appearance at the end of November. The Beaujolais Villages offers
quite a bit more in the way of character, than the Nouveau, for just a few $
more - well worth it. If you like the Villages, there are several levels of
Beaujolais up from it, and most that you'll find in US are not very expensive.
Each of those has more unique character, though often less "fruit." As
expressed in this thread, put a slight chill on it, before serving.

Hunt