Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chteau Pierrefitte Lalande De Pomerol

We've just been given a bottle of this (the 1986 vintage) and I
wondered if anyone has any ides where I can find out more about this
wine.

My brother, who gave it to us, was given a half case some years ago
and believes it to be a particularly fine wine. I've tried
unsuccessfully to find some notes on this, but just wanted to find out
more about it.

Cheers,.

Steve Hodgson
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 26, 9:43*am, Steve Hodgson > wrote:
> We've just been given a bottle of this (the 1986 vintage) and I
> wondered if anyone has any ides where I can find out more about this
> wine.
>
> My brother, who gave it to us, was given a half case some years ago
> and believes it to be a particularly fine wine. I've tried
> unsuccessfully to find some notes on this, but just wanted to find out
> more about it.
>
> Cheers,.
>
> Steve Hodgson

I've never heard of this particular estate. CT lists several vintages,
but not the '96. This is the '05, http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=493191

you can click on all this producer's notes to see any notes on other
vintages.

Lalande de Pomerol is a satellite vintage to the more famous Pomerol
appellation. The wines are typically heavily Merlot oriented, with
maybe some Cabernet Sauvignon or Cabernet Franc (Petit Verdot and
Malbec are also allowed, though if used I'd assume less than 5%- never
actually remember hearing of a Lalande de Pomerol using either).

1996 is generally considered to be much stronger in Medoc ("Left
Bank") than Right Bank (where Pomerol and its satellites are). That
said, it could be a nice midweight Merlot if stored well. It wouldn't
have much in the way of monetary value ($10-25 at auction maybe) but
that doesn't mean it won't drink well. I'd say 14 years is longer than
most hold Lalande de Pomerols, so I'd suggest drinking sooner rather
than later. Good luck!
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

>> We've just been given a bottle of this (the 1986 vintage) and I

^^^^
>> wondered if anyone has any ides where I can find out more about
>> this wine. [...]

> I've never heard of this particular estate. CT lists several
> vintages, but not the '96. [...]

We're talking 19_8_6, not '96.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 26, 3:58*pm, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> >> We've just been given a bottle of this (the 1986 vintage) and I

> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^
>
> >> wondered if anyone has any ides where I can find out more about
> >> this wine. [...]

> > I've never heard of this particular estate. CT lists several
> > vintages, but not the '96. [...]

> We're talking 19_8_6, not '96.

And not stored too well. I shouldn't get my hopes up then
--
Cheers,

Steve
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 26, 11:48*am, Steve Hodgson > wrote:

> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^

> > > I've never heard of this particular estate. CT lists several
> > > vintages, but not the '96. [...]

> > We're talking 19_8_6, not '96.

> And not stored too well. I shouldn't get my hopes up then
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Sorry Steve, I misread (thanks Michael for catching).
1986 was a big tannic vintage. Lots of great wines,and a long lived
vintage but I've again found Left better than Right (not as extreme as
'96) and folks don't usually hold Lalande de Pomerols that long.
Especially without proper storage.
That said, one can never predict - I've had very good wines with worst
pedigrees and poor storage. All one can do is try and hopefully enjoy.
We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

Posted to alt.food.wine

I have had a couple of bottles of Ch. Pierrefite (2001 and 2002) and it was
a nice wine, but probably not meant to survive 24 years in a less than
perfect environment.

But, who knows, open it and let the wine finish the story.