Dale Williams

Default TN: Labor Party wines

Sunday we decided to have friends over for a Day Before Labor Day Party.
Incredibly cool (65°F) cloudy day, we had a good time grilling, talking,
drinking, and listening to the hound bay. I grilled sausage, steak, salmon, and
veggies; Betsy made deviled eggs and I made mango salsa,; others brought salads
and desserts. I had some open wines that were poured, plus:
2002 Selbach Dry Riesling (aka Fish Label)- peach and light citrus notes,
modest acidity, not compelling. B-
2002 Andre Iché "Les Hérétiques" (VdP de l'Hérault). Rich dark berry fruit,
ripe but not fat, some pleasantly funky notes. Great party wine at $6-7. B+/B
A couple of Napa Cab fans were present, so I fetched a couple of (it turns out
non-TCA-tainted) Beaulieu Cabernets:
1996 BV Rutherford - some flowers and earth on the nose, quiet but clear cassis
and black cherry fruit. A little time made that earthiness seem more
stereotypical "dust'" , but it was gone before I had a chance for a second
glass. B++
1999 BV Napa Cab- sweet black cherry fruit, pleasant modest CS (though Betsy
told me later she really disliked, said it tasted like cough medicine). B

Then, a Burg:
2001 Jean Michelot Pommard- let's just say there's a good reason not to buy $15
Pommards. Weedy, tannic, fruitl-deficient, short finish. C/C+

There was also a truly ghastly Chardonnay, but I forgot to get name before I
took out recycling.

On Labor Day itself we worked around the house, then had a nice quiet dinner of
leftovers. The wine was the 1998 Villadoria Barolo, which opened with a
walloping dose of volatile acidity. The first glass smelled as if someone was
stripping their fingernails,but it blew off after a few moments. Some violets
and light oak on the nose, kirsch and red berry fruit. Surprising tannins for a
cheapie Barolo. Not great Nebbiolo, but ok qpr for a moderately international
Barolo. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency. *
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Mike Tommasi

As usual your notes have made me hungry, and I have only just had
breakfast...

But Dale, you left a word out of the title : Labour Party wines ?

Hmmm, let's see, how about St Emilion Chateau B-lair? The little
dashbetween B and lair is a ... trade union? But no, This Chateau is
from the rive doite, I would expect to drink a rive gauche at such an
event... And I hope the vigneron practices "labour des sols".

Sorry

Mike

On 08 Sep 2004 02:05:08 GMT, amnspam (Dale Williams)
wrote:

>Sunday we decided to have friends over for a Day Before Labor Day Party.
>Incredibly cool (65°F) cloudy day, we had a good time grilling, talking,
>drinking, and listening to the hound bay. I grilled sausage, steak, salmon, and
>veggies; Betsy made deviled eggs and I made mango salsa,; others brought salads
>and desserts. I had some open wines that were poured, plus:
>2002 Selbach Dry Riesling (aka Fish Label)- peach and light citrus notes,
>modest acidity, not compelling. B-
>2002 Andre Iché "Les Hérétiques" (VdP de l'Hérault). Rich dark berry fruit,
>ripe but not fat, some pleasantly funky notes. Great party wine at $6-7. B+/B
>A couple of Napa Cab fans were present, so I fetched a couple of (it turns out
>non-TCA-tainted) Beaulieu Cabernets:
>1996 BV Rutherford - some flowers and earth on the nose, quiet but clear cassis
>and black cherry fruit. A little time made that earthiness seem more
>stereotypical "dust'" , but it was gone before I had a chance for a second
>glass. B++
>1999 BV Napa Cab- sweet black cherry fruit, pleasant modest CS (though Betsy
>told me later she really disliked, said it tasted like cough medicine). B
>
>Then, a Burg:
>2001 Jean Michelot Pommard- let's just say there's a good reason not to buy $15
>Pommards. Weedy, tannic, fruitl-deficient, short finish. C/C+
>
>There was also a truly ghastly Chardonnay, but I forgot to get name before I
>took out recycling.
>
>On Labor Day itself we worked around the house, then had a nice quiet dinner of
>leftovers. The wine was the 1998 Villadoria Barolo, which opened with a
>walloping dose of volatile acidity. The first glass smelled as if someone was
>stripping their fingernails,but it blew off after a few moments. Some violets
>and light oak on the nose, kirsch and red berry fruit. Surprising tannins for a
>cheapie Barolo. Not great Nebbiolo, but ok qpr for a moderately international
>Barolo. B/B+
>
>Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
>good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
>it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
>and certainly not of consistency. *
>Dale
>
>Dale Williams
>Drop "damnspam" to reply

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link
http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

wrote:

>Sunday we decided to have friends over for a Day Before Labor Day Party.
>Incredibly cool (65°F) cloudy day, we had a good time grilling, talking,
>drinking, and listening to the hound bay. I grilled sausage, steak, salmon, and
>veggies; Betsy made deviled eggs and I made mango salsa,; others brought salads
>and desserts. I had some open wines that were poured, plus:
>2002 Selbach Dry Riesling (aka Fish Label)- peach and light citrus notes,
>modest acidity, not compelling. B-
>2002 Andre Iché "Les Hérétiques" (VdP de l'Hérault). Rich dark berry fruit,
>ripe but not fat, some pleasantly funky notes. Great party wine at $6-7. B+/B
>A couple of Napa Cab fans were present, so I fetched a couple of (it turns out
>non-TCA-tainted) Beaulieu Cabernets:
>1996 BV Rutherford - some flowers and earth on the nose, quiet but clear cassis
>and black cherry fruit. A little time made that earthiness seem more
>stereotypical "dust'" , but it was gone before I had a chance for a second
>glass. B++
>1999 BV Napa Cab- sweet black cherry fruit, pleasant modest CS (though Betsy
>told me later she really disliked, said it tasted like cough medicine). B
>
>Then, a Burg:
>2001 Jean Michelot Pommard- let's just say there's a good reason not to buy $15
>Pommards. Weedy, tannic, fruitl-deficient, short finish. C/C+
>
>There was also a truly ghastly Chardonnay, but I forgot to get name before I
>took out recycling.
>
>On Labor Day itself we worked around the house, then had a nice quiet dinner of
>leftovers. The wine was the 1998 Villadoria Barolo, which opened with a
>walloping dose of volatile acidity. The first glass smelled as if someone was
>stripping their fingernails,but it blew off after a few moments. Some violets
>and light oak on the nose, kirsch and red berry fruit. Surprising tannins for a
>cheapie Barolo. Not great Nebbiolo, but ok qpr for a moderately international
>Barolo. B/B+
>
>Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
>good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
>it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
>and certainly not of consistency. *
>Dale
>
>Dale Williams
>Drop "damnspam" to reply

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link
http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Dale Williams

Yikes, sorry about that.

I guess Laurel Glen Reds be TOO left for such a party?
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

> Yikes, sorry about that.
>
> I guess Laurel Glen Reds be TOO left for such a party?

Not usually (remember Neil Kinnock?), though its most recent
manifestation would likely quail at the association. ;-)

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

> Yikes, sorry about that.
>
> I guess Laurel Glen Reds be TOO left for such a party?

Not usually (remember Neil Kinnock?), though its most recent
manifestation would likely quail at the association. ;-)

Mark Lipton
Mat

Dale Williams wrote:

Haha, you know we have a political party in Oz called the Labor Party?

When I read the header I thought "This will be interesting." :-)

Mat

TN: Labor Day week wines DaleW Wine 0 04-09-2012 06:05 PM
Labor Day picnic party cshenk General Cooking 6 07-09-2010 05:58 PM
TN: pre-Labor Day party, w/reds, white, pinks, bubbles DaleW Wine 2 08-09-2009 02:16 PM
TN: Many wines on Labor Day, inc. 71 Barolo DaleW Wine 12 03-09-2008 06:50 PM
TN: Labor Day wines DaleW Wine 0 05-09-2006 05:41 PM