Ian Hayward

Default Hints, please, and some weirdness...

As a part of one of those intriguing clearance "mystery cases" yesterday I got a
bottle of Domaine Long-Depaquit, Albert Bichot, 2001 Chablis. I am not at all
knowledgeable on Bourgogne, but I am a fan when it is done well; too often it is not,
of course. Some brief research suggests that this is an entry-level Chablis from a
respected producer, and should therefore be pretty good. Can anyone offer any
experiences of this wine, or suggestions as to whether it's a "keeper" (if so, how
long?) or a "drink now".

Y'know how non-believers take the p*** when you refer to "hints of grass on the
nose", or "a touch of chocolate in the finish"? Well, I had some chocolate today -
the real dark Swiss stuff, not the hydrogenated vegetable fat to which the British
laughably apply the term - and I thought "Hmm... South East Australian Shiraz
Cabernet". Honestly, that's what it reminded me of. So don't feel bad about a
little hyperbole now and then.

Regards,

Ian

Dale Williams

In article <JJ2wc.69$WX6.64@newsfe6-win>, "Ian Hayward"
> writes:

> Domaine Long-Depaquit, Albert Bichot, 2001 Chablis. I am not at all
>knowledgeable on Bourgogne, but I am a fan when it is done well; too often it
>is not,
>of course. Some brief research suggests that this is an entry-level Chablis
>from a
>respected producer, and should therefore be pretty good. Can anyone offer
>any
>experiences of this wine, or suggestions as to whether it's a "keeper" (if
>so, how
>long?) or a "drink now".

I don't remember having a Long-Depaquit before, but they are on a list of "good
no-oak" Chablis producers I have.
While I think Chablis 1ers and GC age beautifully, I tend to drink all Chablis
AC young.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Ami Silberman

> Y'know how non-believers take the p*** when you refer to "hints of grass
on the
> nose", or "a touch of chocolate in the finish"? Well, I had some

chocolate today -
> the real dark Swiss stuff, not the hydrogenated vegetable fat to which the

British
> laughably apply the term - and I thought "Hmm... South East Australian

Shiraz
> Cabernet". Honestly, that's what it reminded me of. So don't feel bad

about a
> little hyperbole now and then.

Yeah. I've seen reviews that liken a wine to an aroma of roses, but, now
having become somewhat of a gardener, I'm always wanting to ask "which
rose". I recently compared a rose to smelling rather like chenin blanc.

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes a glass that held Pinot Noir smells
the next day (if you forgot to wash it) like Violets?

Max Hauser

"Ami Silberman" in ...

> Has anyone else noticed that sometimes a glass that held Pinot
> Noir smells the next day (if you forgot to wash it) like Violets?

As usual in such cases, we may rely on Yoxall. (The wines he refers to
below are 100% Pinot Noir, in case they are unfamiliar to anyone.)

"[Chambolle-Musigny] is said to smell of raspberries, as Echézeaux is said
to do of truffles and Clos Vougeot of violets, but I must have an
insensitive nose as I never catch these nuances; good wines of these
communes just seem to me to have a lovely vinuous bouquet, with Echézeaux
the most pronounced."

-- H. W. Yoxall, _The Wines of Burgundy,_ Penguin, 1974, ISBN 0140462007.
(It's also in the second, ISBN 0812860918.)

Mo

"There are two of the comparatively rare Burgundy chteaux at
Chambolle-Musigny, neither very old and each called the Chteaux de
Chambolle-Musigny, which is not very helpful. The older one has splendid
cellars."

Weirdness Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 03-03-2016 03:21 PM
Googlegroup weirdness Sal Paradise General Cooking 0 31-07-2015 07:32 PM
Googlegroup weirdness Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 0 31-07-2015 03:29 PM
Here's some weirdness Kswck General Cooking 12 20-08-2008 01:55 AM
Bleach weirdness maxine in ri General Cooking 20 18-11-2007 10:02 PM