FoodBanter.com

-   -   Removing alcohol (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/24112-removing-alcohol.html)

Ruiseart agus Ceit 14-05-2004 12:48 PM

Removing alcohol

Hallo,

Just a quickie for you wine experts :) Does boiling remove the alcohol
from mead/wine, and if so, how long should it be boiled?

Thanks in advance,

Ruiseart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.amitar.com.au/~druid1/RavensWing.html
"Mist Covered Mountains" new CD from RavensWing available now
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arne Ahronovich 14-05-2004 01:22 PM

Removing alcohol

It depends on the quality of the wine. I have found that Mouton Rothschild
sometimes needs to be boiled for hours and hours. You could perhaps use a
microwave for a faster elimination, which worked quite well when I tried
this method on a 1955 Chteau Gillette Crème de Tête last weekend. It
devoloped a magnificent taste of roasted marshmallows and hot Dr. Pepper on
the palate. But be sure to give that baby at least 700 watts for half an
hour or so.

Seriously, you can remove alcohol from wine or any other alcoholic beverage
by boiling it - thats how they made de-alc'd beer before the days of inverse
osmosis. The time to fully de-alc will depend on the content of alcohol, the
quantity of wine, the shape of the container you boil it in and, of course,
the time you will need to bring the whole thing to a boil.
You could try to accelerate the process by having your local pyromaniac
ignite the evaporating alcohol with a lighter though(«Chteau Pétrus
flambé»). But DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME FOLKS!

"Ruiseart agus Ceit" > wrote in
m.au...

Arne Ahronovich 14-05-2004 01:46 PM

Removing alcohol

"Emery Davis" > wrote in
. ..
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 19:48:42 +0800, "Ruiseart agus Ceit"

> said:
>

> You must boil it for many hours, in order to remove all liquid, leaving

only
> a sludgy residue. Then just add water back in!

BTW, once you have produced the sludgy residue, you are in the posession of
a unique and very versatile stock that can be used in many ways: Just whisk
in a spoonful of butter and you'll have a near-perfect «Sauce beurre blanc»,
ready to serve with any fish.

Ian Hoare 14-05-2004 06:39 PM

Removing alcohol

Salut/Hi Ruiseart agus Ceit,

le/on Fri, 14 May 2004 19:48:42 +0800, tu disais/you said:-

> Hallo,
>
> Just a quickie for you wine experts :) Does boiling remove the alcohol
> from mead/wine, and if so, how long should it be boiled?

Despite what others have said, I'm afraid you cannot remove all alcohol from
wine just by boiling it. What happens with mixtures of liquids which form
contsant boiling point mixtures, (this is a mixture where both liquids
evaporate in such a way as their proportions do not change) is that when you
start boiling, the liquid which is present in larger proportion will boil
off first, and then the mixture boils away, keeping the same proportion of
both. Alcohol and water (major components of wine/mead) make a constant
boiling mixture, and so when you heat wine, first alcohol boils off (as the
"cbm" contains less than 10% alcohol) and then when the cmb proportions are
reached, both boil together. So that means that the only way to remove ALL
alcohol is to boil the wine/liquid dry.

To take an example (I don't remember what the proportions of alcohol/water
in a cbm are, but for the sake of the example, I'll call it 5% alcohol), Say
you heat 1 kilo of wine at 13% alcohol (130 gms) to boiling point. First of
all more alcohol than water will evaporate, until you end up at 5% alcohol.
As a complete guess, let's say 80 gms alcohol and 20 gms water, leaving 50
gms alcohol and 850 gms water. From then on, further boiling - even to half
volume - will only reduce BOTH components in equal proportion, so you would
lose 25 gms alcohol and 425 gms water, leaving still 25 gms alcohol etc.

Sorry to those who thought otherwise, but this is simple physical chemistry.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Thomas Curmudgeon 14-05-2004 08:32 PM

Removing alcohol

Ruiseart agus Ceit wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> Just a quickie for you wine experts :) Does boiling remove the alcohol
> from mead/wine, and if so, how long should it be boiled?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ruiseart.

Is this a serious question?

We assume boiling would ruin the taste of wine.

You can buy alcohol free wine, I have a bottle I bought 6 or 7 years
ago. Never opened it, looks like crusty old grape juice, but I
understand alcohol free wine tastes more like wine than unfermented
grape juice. Maybe one day I'll actually taste some.

If you're cooking with wine, don't worry about the alcohol for non
drinking people, it will all burn off.

I doubt mead comes without alcohol, though. But who knows.

Anders Tørneskog 14-05-2004 10:27 PM

Removing alcohol

"Thomas Curmudgeon" > skrev i melding
> Ruiseart agus Ceit wrote:
>
> If you're cooking with wine, don't worry about the alcohol for non
> drinking people, it will all burn off.

Not according to Ian?
Anders

Ruiseart agus Ceit 15-05-2004 01:05 AM

Removing alcohol

"Ian Hoare" wrote:

> Salut/Hi Ruiseart agus Ceit,
>
> le/on Fri, 14 May 2004 19:48:42 +0800, tu disais/you said:-
>
> > Hallo,
> >
> > Just a quickie for you wine experts :) Does boiling remove the

alcohol
> > from mead/wine, and if so, how long should it be boiled?

> Despite what others have said, I'm afraid you cannot remove all alcohol

from
> wine just by boiling it. What happens with mixtures of liquids which

form
> contsant boiling point mixtures, (this is a mixture where both liquids
> evaporate in such a way as their proportions do not change) is that when

you
> start boiling, the liquid which is present in larger proportion will

boil
> off first, and then the mixture boils away, keeping the same proportion

of
> both. Alcohol and water (major components of wine/mead) make a constant
> boiling mixture, and so when you heat wine, first alcohol boils off (as

the
> "cbm" contains less than 10% alcohol) and then when the cmb proportions

are
> reached, both boil together. So that means that the only way to remove

ALL
> alcohol is to boil the wine/liquid dry.
>
> To take an example (I don't remember what the proportions of

alcohol/water
> in a cbm are, but for the sake of the example, I'll call it 5% alcohol),

Say
> you heat 1 kilo of wine at 13% alcohol (130 gms) to boiling point. First

of
> all more alcohol than water will evaporate, until you end up at 5%

alcohol.
> As a complete guess, let's say 80 gms alcohol and 20 gms water, leaving

50
> gms alcohol and 850 gms water. From then on, further boiling - even to

half
> volume - will only reduce BOTH components in equal proportion, so you

would
> lose 25 gms alcohol and 425 gms water, leaving still 25 gms alcohol etc.
>
> Sorry to those who thought otherwise, but this is simple physical

chemistry.

Thankyou for this :)

Ruiseart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://gdosc.bravepages.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thomas Curmudgeon 18-05-2004 11:11 PM

Removing alcohol

Anders Tørneskog wrote:
> "Thomas Curmudgeon" > skrev i melding
>
>>Ruiseart agus Ceit wrote:
>>
>>If you're cooking with wine, don't worry about the alcohol for non
>>drinking people, it will all burn off.
>>

> Not according to Ian?
> Anders

Certainly most of it will. Just don't mention the rest!