Young Martle

Default Cornish Hen pairing

Sunday is going to be a busy day for me. I will have about 2 hours to
prepare a dinner for family and friends.

I've decided to go with Bacon wrapped Cornish Hens with raspberry
balsamic glaze. Not sure what the starch and veg will be.

Looking for a wine to pair with this meal. My wine selection is pretty
limited and most of what I have came from here
http://www.nfliquor.com/downloads/pricelist.pdf

I would like to spend between $20 and $40 Canadian.

Thanks
Myron
Dale Williams

In article >, Young Martle
> writes:

>'ve decided to go with Bacon wrapped Cornish Hens with raspberry
>balsamic glaze. Not sure what the starch and veg will be.

I personally think poultry with fruit glazes are a tough match (see my recent
posting re maple glazed chicken). I'd generally go for an unoaked, somewhat
fruity, white with just a hint of residual sugar. And I wouldn't spend a lot.

>Looking for a wine to pair with this meal. My wine selection is pretty
>limited and most of what I have came from here
>http://www.nfliquor.com/downloads/pricelist.pdf

Hmm, don't see any Alsace Pinot Blancs, Riesling, or Pinot Gris (a Muscat and
a couple of Gew., but wouldn't try those). I have mixed impressions of Schloss
Vollrads wines, but the Kabinett Riesling might be ok. Or you might try one of
the Australian Rieslings. Personally I don't think a Chardonnay or SB based
wine (which is 90% of that list) would work especially well.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Young Martle

On 19 Mar 2004 17:03:32 GMT, amnspam (Dale Williams)
wrote:

>In article >, Young Martle
> writes:
>
>>'ve decided to go with Bacon wrapped Cornish Hens with raspberry
>>balsamic glaze. Not sure what the starch and veg will be.
>>

>I personally think poultry with fruit glazes are a tough match (see my recent
>posting re maple glazed chicken). I'd generally go for an unoaked, somewhat
>fruity, white with just a hint of residual sugar. And I wouldn't spend a lot.
>
>>Looking for a wine to pair with this meal. My wine selection is pretty
>>limited and most of what I have came from here

http://www.nfliquor.com/downloads/pricelist.pdf

>Hmm, don't see any Alsace Pinot Blancs, Riesling, or Pinot Gris (a Muscat and
>a couple of Gew., but wouldn't try those). I have mixed impressions of Schloss
>Vollrads wines, but the Kabinett Riesling might be ok. Or you might try one of
>the Australian Rieslings. Personally I don't think a Chardonnay or SB based
>wine (which is 90% of that list) would work especially well.
>
>Dale

Thanks Dale. I was looking at the Wolf Blass Gold label Riesling
myself. People around here tend to like anything that starts with Wolf
Blass. :-) but I understand that the Riesling can be quite nice.

I know what you mean by the fruit glazed poultry, but this recipe is
quick, easy and a crowd pleaser. Even the kids love it!

Maybe I could serve it with some type of risotto that would allow me
to have a red!!?

Thanks again
Myron
Dale Williams

Actually, after I wrote my reply, I started thinking a lighter fruity red might
be ok too- could check out the Fleurie or Brouilly.

BTW, if you think storage is good, there's a couple of good prices on some
'89/'90 Bdx there (if my mental currency calculator is correct-I'm thinking
$1CAD is $.75-.80 US?). '89 Pichon Lalande for $91CAD? That's at least a $100
US bottle. '90 d'Anguldet for $41CAD is also a good price for a good cru
bourgeois from a good year.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Cornish Pasties James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 36 23-08-2008 06:25 PM
Cornish Hen Recipe Alex Devlin Recipes 2 15-11-2006 02:10 AM
Cornish Hens? Heavy_Smoker Barbecue 17 14-01-2006 07:09 PM
cornish pasties sandy General Cooking 2 05-10-2004 09:17 AM