Fermented Fuit Juice -- How to turn it into alcohol?

Old 19-03-2009, 02:23 AM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Fermented Fuit Juice -- How to turn it into alcohol?

I've been making fermented fruit juice. I store and open commercial
apple juice in the fridge for weeks. Then I just mix with water 1/2
and 1/2. Gets nice carbonated pop going but this isn't really
alcohol, at least not yet. It's fermented alright. But not alcohol.
At least, you can't get drunk from it.

What do you have to do to turn this into alcohol?

Old 19-03-2009, 04:43 AM posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 18, 9:23*pm, milwaukee brewer wrote:
I've been making fermented fruit juice. *I store and open commercial
apple juice in the fridge for weeks. *Then I just mix with water 1/2
and 1/2. *Gets nice carbonated pop going but *this isn't really
alcohol, at least not yet. *It's fermented alright. *But not alcohol.
At least, you can't get drunk from it.

What do you have to do to turn this into alcohol?

To get a good drink with alcohol. you need yeast that ferments sugars
to alcohol, the right amount of sugars in the juice, the right
temperature (usually higher than refrigerator temperature), the right
amount of acids, etc. Also you need to follow certain sanitation
procedures, or else bacteria may produce bad tastes and smells or even
give you a case of the "tourist trots". Most of us here consume rather
than make wine. You might get more help in the group
rec.crafts.winemaking. Also there are stores and web sites that
specialize in home wine making and beer brewing and that can supply
your needs. You might like to buy an introductory book for home wine
making from one of them. If you can visit such a store in your area,
the owner often is willing to offer advice for those new to home wine
making.
Old 19-03-2009, 02:08 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Mike wrote on Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:15:05 +0100:

cwdjrxyz wrote:
[...]

Probably too much SO2 in commercial juice.

I'd agree with comments about doing fermentation under controlled
conditions and using proper yeasts. Apple juice, if bought from local
producers who don't pasteurize or add SO2, will ferment in the fridge
but I've never kept it long enough to detect more than a slightly "hard"
taste. I guess the amount of alcohol is small.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 19-03-2009, 02:44 PM posted to alt.food.wine

It may be that the yeast culture in apple juice is not the same as the
saccaromyces cerveria (sp?) that takes grape juice to 14 %. Even on grapes
skins there is a host of several different yeasts of other families that may
dominate the feremntation process up to c. 5 % (vide Jancis Robinson).

Cheers

Nils

Old 19-03-2009, 03:56 PM posted to alt.food.wine

I do believe som producers try to "recycle" the yeast by spreading lees in
the vineyard ... not a terribly good idea as it may enhance bacteria rather
than the "natural" yeasts. What about bajanus in Veneto, then, do you mean
that the reservoir is in the cellars rather than in the vineyards? It would
fit neatly with what I heard about a cheese factory - to get the cheese to
mature as they wanted, the old cheese cellar master had to pass through the
cellars, wearing, and this was important, his old cap ... which apparently
was supposed to contain the ferments needed for the proper maturation of the
cheeses. If it is not true, it is still a fairly good story.

Cheers

Nils

Old 19-03-2009, 04:28 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-03-19 08:56:51 -0700, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
said:

I do believe som producers try to "recycle" the yeast by spreading lees in
the vineyard ... not a terribly good idea as it may enhance bacteria rather
than the "natural" yeasts. What about bajanus in Veneto, then, do you mean
that the reservoir is in the cellars rather than in the vineyards? It would
fit neatly with what I heard about a cheese factory - to get the cheese to
mature as they wanted, the old cheese cellar master had to pass through the
cellars, wearing, and this was important, his old cap ... which apparently
was supposed to contain the ferments needed for the proper maturation of the
cheeses. If it is not true, it is still a fairly good story.

Cheers

Nils

I've often used "champagne yeast" from my friendly neighborhood wine
and beer making supplies store with a fermentation lock (from the same
source) on top in the original gallon bottle. Then, as apple cider
time comes conveniently at the time of first frosts, after I fermented
a couple of gallons, I put them in a bucket (clean) lightly covered out
on the back porch. In the morning, take off the ice and toss. Do that
a couple of days and the alcohol content rises to the point where it
will preserve itself. Makes a delicious drink, and great addition for
cooking, like a chicken liver pate and so on...

Jim

Old 19-03-2009, 04:37 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-03-19 08:56:51 -0700, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
said:

[...]

Readers of Terry Pratchett's eminent Discworld series will recognise this as
scumble, which is, as everybody knows, made from apples.
Well, mostly apples.
And it should not come into contact with metal.
Cheers
Nils

Old 19-03-2009, 05:54 PM posted to alt.food.wine

cwdjrxyz wrote:
[...]

Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not- Hide quoted text -

I just add a shot or two of vodka to my apple juice and I get apple
juice with alcohol.:-)
Old 19-03-2009, 08:13 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 19, 12:54*pm, "Bi!!" wrote:

I just add a shot or two of vodka to my apple juice and I get apple
juice with alcohol.:-)

Make that two 1 1/2 oz shots of Devil's Springs vodka (80%,160 US
proof alcohol) to a large glass of apple juice, over ice if you wish,
and you will have super apple "wine". One glass of this likely will be
enough, or more than enough, for most people :-). Please do not drive
a car soon after drinking this.