Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Best wines for Thanksgiving dinner?

What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Rigaboy wrote:
> What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

This probably ought to be in the FAQ.

Classic American Thanksgiving Dinner is a wine-pairing challenge;
most of the things found on the table don't really work well with
the popular whites and reds (Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot).

You're probably best off selecting medium- or light-bodied reds
and crisp whites (little or no oak). Sparkling wine is the universal
match, IMHO. Don't spend too much money on any one bottle. I'd suggest
Sauvignon Blanc and dry Riesling for whites, and Pinot Noir, lighter-
bodied Zinfandel and lighter-bodied, fruit-forward Syrah for reds.
I also like dry Rose, but some folks won't even try pink wine, no
matter how nice it is.

Roederer Estate Non-Vintage Brut is a perennial bargain in sparkling
wine; buy a case for the holidays at Costco ($16/bottle). Kim Crawford
Sauvignon Blanc ($13 at Costco) is another perennial bargain. You
might try Bonny Doon's Pacific Rim Dry Riesling ($10-ish), too.

For reds, I've always cheated a bit for Thanksgiving and picked-up
the $8-12 labels from the big producers. You're almost guaranteed that
these reds won't be too heavy-bodied by the price point, and they're
almost always adequate wines.

I'd suggest always having some Port on hand for dessert; there are
several fine choices for under $20. I suggest Graham's Six Grapes
Reserve($17 at Costco), Heitz Ink Grade if you can find it ($25 at
the winery), Benjamin Tawny ($10 at Trader Joes, a bargain).
I'm not as fond of Sandeman's in general, but they're commonly
available.

I'll let those with more experience suggest European wines.

Good luck!
Dana
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Rigaboy" > writes:

> What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

At our house Pinot and Riesling rule on Turkey day!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:14:07 -0800, "Rigaboy" >
wrote:

>What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

I've always avoided the Riesling cliche. No reason, just don't do it.

But, I do like a white available for those who prefer it with fowl. So
I've leaned toward flinty sauvignon blancs. The concept is clear the
ballot from gravy, biscuit, butter overload.

For red, most avoid a heavy red. That, to me, means Pinot Noir. And
within the two major PN styles it's light fruity rather than brooding
Burgundian.

Bottom line is to drink what you like.

This year at my house it's going to be Texas wines that I've recently
encountered and fallen in love with. Becker Chenin Blanc for the
white--clean, crisp, fruity, light. And Becker Grenache for the
red--again a light, fruity, quaffable red.

My mouth begins to water....

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Riesling and aged Chianti here.

"Doug Anderson" > wrote in message
> "Rigaboy" > writes:
>
>> What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

> At our house Pinot and Riesling rule on Turkey day!

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Rigaboy" > wrote in
:

> What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

Unoaked Chardonnay say a St Veran or village Chabilis, why becasue I
like them and my wife doesn't like Pinot with turkey.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:14:07 -0800
"Rigaboy" > wrote:

> What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

It is important to have 3 out of the 4 reds. Cabsav doesn't matter
because it isn't fruity enough. Merlot marries well with candied sweets,
whereas the serious officionado will pick a high alcohol Zin. And Pinot Noix
is important so trendy people can feel trendy.

For white think Chard. But keep a bottle of Fume blanc handy for those
that want more character.

-E

P.S. I will probably serve Vin de Pays de la Principauté d'Orange from
Romero.

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

We typically barbecue a turkey along with the other neo-traditional
stuff, and find that Zinfandel pairs very nicely with the dinner.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bo Joe Lay New Vo

I'd hate to disappoint 1,000's of PR guys...

On 2007-11-07 10:14:07 -0800, "Rigaboy" > said:

> What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Rigaboy wrote:
> What wines does everyone drink with your Thanksgiving dinner?

It depends on what's being served. With turkey, I'd go with a good Cru
Beaujolais or lighter Zin or Pinot Noir or Brut Rosé sparkler; with
sweet potato, cranberry sauce or turnips I'd serve an off-dry white with
good acidity like a Vouvray demi-sec or Alsatian Gewurztraminer. With
stuffing, it all depends on what sort, but it should go with one of the
two previous suggestions.

Mark Lipton

thanksgiving wines Joseph Coulter[_10_] Wine 0 18-11-2013 08:44 PM
Thanksgiving wines for traditional dinner lleichtman Wine 0 07-11-2013 08:15 PM
NYT on Thanksgiving wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 15 19-11-2007 10:51 PM
Thanksgiving wines Al Wine 15 18-11-2004 09:04 PM
TN: Thanksgiving wines Dale Williams Wine 3 01-12-2003 03:43 AM