Hi - non-egg binding

Old 16-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Lady M
Usenet poster

Default Hi - non-egg binding

I am looking for a good binding to use instead of eggs. Jenny is a vega.
I want to put it in a walnut loaf. with veggie gravy.

Thank you
Mary Ann
Old 17-03-2005, 10:24 AM
serene
Usenet poster

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:57:45 -0800, Lady M wrote
(in article ):

I am looking for a good binding to use instead of eggs. Jenny is a vega.
I want to put it in a walnut loaf. with veggie gravy.

Ener-G egg replacer has always done a good job for me.

serene
Old 17-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Kindrick Ownby
Usenet poster

serene wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:57:45 -0800, Lady M wrote
(in article ):

I am looking for a good binding to use instead of eggs. Jenny is a vega.
I want to put it in a walnut loaf. with veggie gravy.

Ener-G egg replacer has always done a good job for me.

Ditto for Ener-G for us.

If you exclude eggs from your diet (as we do) beware that some
so-called egg replacers actually have a little egg in them.

Kindrick
Old 20-03-2005, 02:50 AM
C. Noble
Usenet poster

Garbanzos for Thickening
(Good for loaves and casseroles)

Soak overnight in water to cover: (Approximately 1 c dry garbanzos in 3 cups
water).

Puree: 1 cup soaked garbanzos, 2/3 cup water

Blend very smooth. To use: 1/2 cup slurry = 1 egg

For soft custard texture--use 6 Tablespoons slurry per cup of liquid.
For regular texture--use 9 Tablespoons per cup of liquid.
For very firm texture--use 12 Tablespoons per cup of liquid.
Bake until center is done.

Old 20-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Don Quinoa
Usenet poster

Egg replacers in cakes

1) Replace water with rice or soya milk

2) Use equivilant volume of Soya yoghurt.

3) tablespoon of Arrowroot.

4) Banana

5) Tablespoon of ground linseeds/flaxseeds.

6) Tablespoon of Quinoa flour or soya flour.

7) Tablespoon of Carob flour

Use a teaspoon of finely grated lemon rind and juice with all the above
as an emulsifier.

see also

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...ry/eggfree.php

Good luck

http://www.foodsforlife.org.uk/nutritionist/
Old 02-04-2005, 11:29 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

C Noble's recommendation of soya flour as an egg alternative

Hi. Could you please post more a more detailed description of how you
make "scrambled eggs" from soya flour?

Thanks in anticipation,

Ross-c
Old 03-04-2005, 11:16 AM
C. Noble
Usenet poster

Hi Ross-c,

Wish I had an answer for you - and me both! I had found Soya flour to
be a good binding agent.

There is an ingredient that tastes like boiled eggs called Black Salt
(from India). It is also suppose to be healthy for you. I have used black
salt to make an "egg" salad out of tofu and it really tasted more like the
real egg salad that I remember. I would also try the black salt to make
tofu "scrambled eggs".

It may work also with Soya flour - that's an idea. A friend of mine
said her Naturopath does not think tofu is good for human consumption as it
is not fermented. I haven't heard this before but open to hear more.

Best wishes,
C. Noble

ups.com...