How do you make mock chicken?

Old 26-02-2005, 10:17 AM
willyd
Usenet poster

Default How do you make mock chicken?

I'm a big fan of Lightlife's Chick N' Strips but it's getting
increasingly hard to find where I live. I'd like to make something like
this myself but I'm not sure where to begin. My first thought is to
freeze tofu but it would be nice to flavor it first. Has anyone tried
marinating tofu before freezing it? Is this the wrong procedure
altogether?
Old 26-02-2005, 05:52 PM
serene
Usenet poster

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:17:41 -0800, willyd wrote
(in article . com):

I'm a big fan of Lightlife's Chick N' Strips but it's getting
increasingly hard to find where I live. I'd like to make something like
this myself but I'm not sure where to begin. My first thought is to
freeze tofu but it would be nice to flavor it first. Has anyone tried
marinating tofu before freezing it? Is this the wrong procedure
altogether?

It works fine for me, but if I were making "chicken" strips, I'd use
seitan. I can tell you how I make it, if you like, or there are
several brands to buy.

serene
Old 27-02-2005, 11:45 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

I have a book "Vegetarian Cooking Chinese Style". The listed author is
the "Wei-Chuan Cultural-Educational Foundation". The ISBN is
0-941676-20. It explains how to make a whole variety of "mock meats",
primarily from dried tofu skin. I've never actually made any of the
recipes. Buying the book seemed like a good idea at the time but ...
you know how it is....

Cheers,

Ross-c

Old 27-02-2005, 11:51 AM
willyd
Usenet poster

It works fine for me, but if I were making "chicken" strips, I'd use
seitan. I can tell you how I make it, if you like, or there are
several brands to buy.

serene

What would you do to make it a chicken substitute?

Old 27-02-2005, 05:20 PM
serene
Usenet poster

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:51:01 -0800, willyd wrote
(in article .com):

It works fine for me, but if I were making "chicken" strips, I'd use
seitan. I can tell you how I make it, if you like, or there are
several brands to buy.

serene

What would you do to make it a chicken substitute?

I add a bit of vegan "chicken broth" powder to the simmering liquid,
and cut it into strips before baking or frying it. Works pretty well.
There is also a decent canned variety of mock chicken at our HFS, and
I use that a lot.

serene
Old 28-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Les
Usenet poster

Before you go to the trouble of making your own,
have you tried Quorn vegetarian chicken?
It tastes just like it and the protein is high quality and it is
nutritionally dense not calorie-dense.
See http://www.quorn.us/
Note: It has a small amount of egg white in it.
I have no connection to the company.

Regards ... Les