Amaranth hot cereal recipes?

Old 27-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Steve
Usenet poster

Default Amaranth hot cereal recipes?

Hi;

Anyone have a recipe for hot amaranth cereal that you can make in a
manner similar to oatmeal?

By that I mean putting some amaranth in a bowl, putting in the
microwave, and getting a meal out a little bit later?

Thanks

Steve

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"
Old 29-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Viviane
Usenet poster

It's not a recipe but the ingredients listed can give you a good idea.
Good luck!

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/st_pro...54104583880.9b
Viviane

Old 30-12-2004, 02:18 AM
Steve
Usenet poster

Viviane wrote:
It's not a recipe but the ingredients listed can give you a good idea.
Good luck!

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/st_pro...54104583880.9b
Viviane

Wow is that expensive compared to oatmeal when unprocessed amaranth is not.

I think I might try using my pressure cooker. It will still be slower
then microwaving oatmeal, but it might be tolerable.

Steve

Old 31-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Chef R. W. Miller
Usenet poster

http://www.prodigyweb.net.mx/centeot...es/recetas.htm

http://www.coolkarma.com/Foods/cream..._amaranth.html

Recipes.
Amaranth pancakes (a warm, welcome change to 'pog' in winter)
1 cup amaranth flour 1 cups water
cup arrowroot 2 tbsp lemon juice
cup ground nuts 2 tbsp oil
1 tsp baking soda 1-2 tbsp maple
1 tsp ground cinnamon syrup or honey
Combine the flour, arrowroot, nuts, baking soda and cinnamon.
In a small bowl, mix the water, lemon juice, oil, and maple syrup or honey.
Stir liquid into flour mix to combine well. The batter will be thin.
Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto a preheated frying pan. (The pancakes
will be very thin) When pancakes are bubbly on top and browned on bottom,
turn and cook other side. As the batter stands, it may thicken, thin with a
little water.
Note: If you want to use these pancakes as flatbreads, cool them on wire
racks, then stack, wrap and refrigerate until needed. Warm in a toaster oven
or on wire racks in a moderate oven for a few minutes. Use to make mini
sandwiches.

Enjoy.
Chef R. W. Miller
Marriott Resorts & Hotels

Old 05-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Kake L Pugh
Usenet poster

Steve wrote:
Anyone have a recipe for hot amaranth cereal that you can make in a
manner similar to oatmeal?

By that I mean putting some amaranth in a bowl, putting in the
microwave, and getting a meal out a little bit later?

Depends what your motivation for wanting to do this is.

If you're wanting a quick start in the morning, then soak the amaranth
overnight (I usually use soya milk diluted with water, but plain water
or diluted juice would also work) and then microwave in the morning.
This is very tasty when done with a variety of grains - whole or
flaked - plus nuts and fruits. I've used quinoa, amaranth, barley
flakes, rye flakes, wheatgerm, oats, oh, loads of others that I can't
remember right now. I've even used couscous once or twice when I was
running short of grains.

(The overnight soaking and subsequent cooking makes this completely
different from mixtures that are either not soaked or not cooked. The
grains, nuts and fruits will all change character. Note that most
grain mixtures will take up a *lot* of liquid, so you probably won't
need as much as you think you do! You can soak 4 or 5 days' worth of
breakfasts at a time if you keep the soaking mixture in the fridge.)

If you're wanting something that you can whip up quickly from dry
ingredients at little notice, then grinding the amaranth in a food
processor might work to make it cook quicker, but this (unlike the
suggestion above) is untested.

Kake
Old 06-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Steve
Usenet poster

Kake L Pugh wrote:
If you're wanting a quick start in the morning, then soak the amaranth
overnight (I usually use soya milk diluted with water, but plain water
or diluted juice would also work) and then microwave in the morning.

When I cook amaranth I usually use 1/3 cup dry amaranth to 1 cup water.
Would I use the same volumes with the over night soak? How long would I
microwave it for? Sounds interesting!

Steve

Old 06-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Kake L Pugh
Usenet poster

Steve wrote:
When I cook amaranth I usually use 1/3 cup dry amaranth to 1 cup water.
Would I use the same volumes with the over night soak?

That sounds about right. You don't have to be spot-on accurate,
though. If it needs more liquid when you look at it in the morning,
then you can add more liquid.

How long would I microwave it for?

Until it's done Seriously, you can eat the soaked grains uncooked
if you really want (though I do find the amaranth sticks in my teeth a
bit much when I eat it like that), so the length of time you cook it
for depends on how much you want it cooked. Cook it a bit and then
try it. You may like it just barely softened, or cooked to mush. If
you want an educated but untested guess on an upper limit, I doubt it
would change much past 8-10 minutes' microwaving, assuming a modern
microwave and sufficient liquid.

Kake
Old 10-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Steve
Usenet poster

Soaking amaranth overnight did not work. Soaking it over several days
did. So did microwaving the Amaranth in water for 5 min before soaking
it overnight.

I didn't realize how much the taste of oatmeal was about the spices and
toppings I use with it.

Once I put ground flax, cinnamon, and nutritional yeast into my amaranth
mush it tasted just like oatmeal .

Can anyone suggest any vegan additions to hot amaranth cereal to make it
a bit more interesting?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 12-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Kake L Pugh
Usenet poster

Steve wrote:
Soaking amaranth overnight did not work. Soaking it over several days
did. So did microwaving the Amaranth in water for 5 min before soaking
it overnight.

Sorry to hear the simpler suggestions didn't work. Perhaps we have
different preferences as to how cooked we like our grains; or maybe
our amaranth differs.

Can anyone suggest any vegan additions to hot amaranth cereal to make it
a bit more interesting?

Dried fruits added in when you soak; raisins and sultanas added as-is,
larger fruits like apricots or prunes cut up with scissors.

Kake
Old 16-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Usenet poster

I would suggest using a rice cooker, with a 2:1 water to amanranth
ratio. Sometimes there's a little bit that's hard at the bottom, but I
use this for Quinoa (which I prefer) and it's quick and no-hassle.
Try it

Kal
San Diego