nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute

Old 26-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Randell Tarin
Usenet poster

Default nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute

How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute? I have found it
in tablet form but also in a large expensive container in flake form.

Would I need to pulverize the flakes into powder and sprinkle them or do I
need to mix it with tofu for a more cheesy consistency?

Randell Tarin
Old 27-08-2004, 10:30 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:11:35 GMT, Randell Tarin
took a very strange rock and inscribed
these words:

How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute?

The flakes are usually used in recipes to add a cheesy flavor and
(possibly less frequently?) as a "sprinkle-on" table condiment.

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
/ http://tlshell.cnc.net/

Old 31-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Will Yardley
Usenet poster

On 2004-08-27, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:11:35 GMT, Randell Tarin :

How does one use nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute?

The flakes are usually used in recipes to add a cheesy flavor and
(possibly less frequently?) as a "sprinkle-on" table condiment.

You can also make some cheesy sauces with it.

There's a recipe in the New Farm cookbook that's something like this
(for a mac and cheese type dish)..
you can halve the quantity to make less. It will get harder if you
refrigerate it, and you can then use it to make a grilled cheese type
thing....

From memory:

1/2 C white flour
1/2 C nutritional yeast flakes (it has to be halved (I think) if you
use powder instead)
2 C water
tsp or so of salt
tsp of yellow mustard
1 Tbsp margarine

mix flour, salt and yeast, whisk in water. keep whisking over medium
heat until the liquid thickens and bubbles. Cook another 30 seconds,
turn off heat. Add margarine and mustard. Stir into cooked pasta. It's
not really that close to mac and cheese, but not bad.

Some other suggestions he
http://essenes.net/vegches.html

The type that's made from raw cashews / pine nuts etc. can be /really/
good.

These people http://playfood.org/ (annoying flash site) in LA make a
REALLY good grilled cheese - I had several at a recent street fair, and
several non-vegan friends all agreed it was pretty much dead on. If
you're in Socal, I'd suggest checking out their cafe.

Their fake sour cream is also good, as is their chili.
Old 31-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Will Yardley
Usenet poster