substitute for Chicken Stock?

Old 13-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Robert
Usenet poster

Default substitute for Chicken Stock?

I want to make Egg Drop Soup, but unfortunately the main ingredient is
Chicken Stock. Are there any good substitutes for Chicken Stock?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 13-04-2004, 04:40 PM
usual suspect
Usenet poster

Robert wrote:
I want to make Egg Drop Soup, but unfortunately the main ingredient is
Chicken Stock. Are there any good substitutes for Chicken Stock?

Umm, you could try vegetable stock. Some of the prepared ones are more salt than
vegetable, but you can always make your own. Here's a link to a recipe to give
you ideas. You can search for more recipes using your favorite search engine.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=81356

I'd recommend a fake chicken stock but I don't use them.
Old 15-04-2004, 04:59 AM
Lorraine
Usenet poster

"Robert" wrote ...
I want to make Egg Drop Soup, but unfortunately the main ingredient is
Chicken Stock. Are there any good substitutes for Chicken Stock?

There are many vegetarian chicken-style broth recipes, or you could use
pre-made chicken-style broth. I believe that Pacific Foods makes a veg.
chicken-style broth packaged in an aseptic container (boxed). Here are a
couple of recipes just in case that option is not available to you.

BRYANNA'S HOMEMADE CHICKEN STYLE VEGETABLE BROTH POWDER
(Bryanna Clark Grogan)

Blend in a dry blender:

1 and 1/3 c. good-tasting nutritional yeast flakes
3 T. onion powder
2 and 1/2 T. sea salt
2 and 1/2 tsp. garlic granules or powder
1 T. soymilk powder
1 T. white beet sugar
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. finely crumbled dried sage (NOT powdered)
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. tumeric

Store in an airtight container and use 1 level tablespoon per cup of water.

From Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook by Abbot George
Burke
Unchicken Broth
1/2 c. Onions, chopped
4 1/2 tsp. Monosodium glutamate
1 tsp. Sea salt
1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
1/3 c. Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp. Corn oil
2 c. Water

Combine everything and simmer for 5 minutes.

Hope that helps. )

Lorraine
Old 15-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Carey
Usenet poster

"Robert" wrote in message
3.158...
I want to make Egg Drop Soup, but unfortunately the main ingredient is
Chicken Stock. Are there any good substitutes for Chicken Stock?

Water, salt, pinch of sugar, and a good bit of nutritional yeast. I tend to
throw in some Bragg's too. Taste and adjust as needed.

Carey
Old 15-04-2004, 05:08 AM
ShantiP1
Usenet poster

I just use what I would use in chicken stock, sans the chicken, i.e. lots of
celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, carrots, peppercorns and salt. Works great.
To give it some color, you can brown the veggie a bit in some olive oil to
caramelize them and the add some boiling water and that will give some color to
the stock.

Regards,
June