MEow

Default Peanuts advice wanted

I've bought a bag of whole, roasted peanuts because though I don't
like them much in themselves, I thought they might be interesting in
some sort of recipe. Can anyone give me any tips, advice and/or
recipes for using them in cooking?
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Kate L Pugh

MEow > wrote:
> I've bought a bag of whole, roasted peanuts because though I don't
> like them much in themselves, I thought they might be interesting in
> some sort of recipe. Can anyone give me any tips, advice and/or
> recipes for using them in cooking?

Chop or crush a handful and sprinkle on top of rice dishes... for example
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...le-paella.html

Peanuts go very well with chickpeas...
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...anut-stew.html

Grind them up in the blender and put them in nut roasts and veggie
burgers. I think they go very well with Marmite but other people
think I am mad. This recipe was adapted from a veggie burger recipe:
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...lemon-dip.html

Chopped peanuts are used to finish Thai dishes such as Pad Thai.

I generally just eat them though - in cooking I would be more likely
to use peanut butter. I'd be interested to see other people's replies
to this question.

Kake
Keith Michaels

In article >,
Kate L Pugh > writes:
|> MEow > wrote:
|> > I've bought a bag of whole, roasted peanuts
Can anyone give me any tips, advice and/or
|> > recipes for using them in cooking?

Great ideas Kake, here's a couple more.

Dry roast in a pan two cups of shelled peanuts until brown spots appear,
set aside. Repeat with 1/2 cup of sesame seeds, set aside. Heat two
tablespoons of oil in pan, add 3 crushed dry red chillis and 1/2 tsp.
of asafoetida. Fry 30 seconds, then place all ingredients in food
processor and chop coarsely. Keep this in refrigerator and use to top
vegetable or rice dishes.

Dry roast 1 cup peanuts as above, set aside. Saute 1 chopped onion
and one chopped jalapeno in oil until onion is translucent. Add 2-3
cups of frozen whole kernel corn (thawed) and combine, saute briefly.
Add peanuts, toss, and cook until corn is done. Add salt and pepper.
This recipe can be extended in many directions by adding tomato,
red/green peppers, lima beans, etc.
Kate Pugh

Keith Michaels > wrote:
> Dry roast in a pan two cups of shelled peanuts until brown spots appear,
> set aside. Repeat with 1/2 cup of sesame seeds, set aside. Heat two
> tablespoons of oil in pan, add 3 crushed dry red chillis and 1/2 tsp.
> of asafoetida. Fry 30 seconds, then place all ingredients in food
> processor and chop coarsely. Keep this in refrigerator and use to top
> vegetable or rice dishes.

Keith, that sounds great, thanks. I'll give it a go if (as I think I
do) I have some asafoetida in the store cupboard.

Going off at a tangent from Nikitta's peanut request, you reminded me
of a very simple and nice sesame sauce for vegetables. Toast 25g
(1oz) sesame seeds in a hot dry frying pan until they start to pop,
but stop before they colour more than very slightly. Grind them in a
pestle and mortar then add 1 Tbsp sake, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, and 1 tsp
sugar. This is very good on steamed or boiled green beans - the
quantities given above will top 250g (9oz) of beans. Recipe from
Soei Yoneda's "Good Food from a Japanese Temple".

Kake