Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med,soc.culture.pakistan

Default Don't Take the Bait-Fish is Not a Health Food - Physicians Committee

Don't Take the Bait-Fish is Not a Health Food

Physicians Committee
pcrm.org

Here are four facts you may not know about fish:

1. Fish is high in cholesterol.

Touted as a health food, fish has a reputation for being
heart-healthy. People who opt for fish to try to protect
their hearts might not realize that fish is often high in
cholesterol.

While a 3-ounce T-bone steak contains 70 milligrams of
cholesterol, three ounces of shrimp contain 161
milligrams. Numerous studies have shown that dietary
cholesterol consumption corresponds with an increased
risk for artery blockage.

The good news is that by eliminating foods that contain
cholesterol, like fish, and opting for naturally
cholesterol-free plant foods, people can reduce both
their cholesterol levels and their risk of heart disease.
Research has shown that every 1 percent reduction in
cholesterol can reduce heart disease risk by 2 percent.

2. Most of the fat in fish is not heart-healthy fat.

While fish does contain omega-3 fats, most of the fat in
fish is not heart healthy. Between 15 and 30 percent of
the fat in fish is actually saturated fat, which
stimulates the liver to produce more cholesterol. High-
fat foods are associated with poor heart health outcomes.

Fish is often celebrated for being low in fat, but this
is often not the case: 52 percent of the calories in
Chinook salmon come from fat. Plant foods, on the other
hand, are often naturally low in fat. Only 2 percent of
the calories in rice and 4 percent of the calories in
beans come from fat. Research has shown that diets low in
fat are best for preventing heart disease.

In 1990, Dean Ornish, M.D., demonstrated that a low-fat
vegetarian diet is capable of reversing heart disease. He
put patients with heart disease on a low-fat, plant-based
diet, and in one year, 82 percent showed a measurable
reversal of their coronary artery blockages.

3. Supplementing with fish oil may do more harm than
good.

In recent years, fish oil has been hailed as a miracle
cure for everything from heart disease to dementia. Many
people supplement with fish oil to increase their intake
of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for
maintaining cellular function. Unfortunately, studies
have shown that most of the health claims associated with
fish oil may be unfounded.

A comprehensive Journal of the American Medical
Association analysis involving 20 studies and more than
68,000 patients showed no link between fish oil and heart
health. Similarly, a study published in the New England
Journal of Medicine reported that patients who
supplemented with fish oil did not reduce their risk of
heart disease.

Additionally, recent reports indicate no association
between fish oil supplementation and the prevention or
improvement of dementia symptoms. Research has even shown
that omega-3 supplements may increase diabetes and
prostate cancer risk. Fortunately, many plant foods
contain alpha-linolenic acid or ALA, which is the only
essential omega-3 fatty acid. Excellent sources of ALA
include walnuts, soybeans, leafy greens, flaxseed,
avocado, and broccoli.

By eating a diet rich in these foods, people can reap all
the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids without any of the
side effects associated with fish consumption. Research
has even shown that women who follow vegan diets have
higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids in their blood than
those who consume diets rich in fish, meat, and dairy.

4. Fish are full of pollutants.

Because fish and shellfish live in increasingly polluted
environments, toxins from the water accumulate in their
bodies. Studies have shown that most of the fish
throughout the world contain dangerously high levels of
mercury.

Exposure to mercury, which is a toxic metal, has serious
health consequences, including increased risk for cancer,
heart disease, and even death. A recent study revealed a
link between mercury exposure and diabetes. Among nearly
3,000 participants, those who consumed the most mercury
over an 18-year period had a 65 percent greater risk for
developing diabetes.

Fish also contain unsafe levels of polychlorinated
biphenyls, which are dangerous chemicals that have been
linked to neurological problems and birth defects in
babies who have been exposed. A plant-based diet
automatically reduces exposure to these toxins.

This site does not provide medical or legal advice. This
Web site is for informational purposes only.

Full Disclaimer
Privacy Policy

The Physicians Committee
5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste.400, Washington DC, 20016
Email:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-to...-a-health-food

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj

o o o

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
for the educational purposes of research and open
discussion. The contents of this post may not have been
authored by, and do not necessarily represent the opinion
of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright
law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

o If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely
not be read, considered or answered if it does not
contain your full legal name, current e-mail and postal
addresses, and live-voice telephone number.

o Posted for information and discussion. Views
expressed by others are not necessarily those of the
poster who may or may not have read the article.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted
material the use of which may or may not have been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. This
material is being made available in efforts to advance
the understanding of environmental, political, human
rights, economic, democratic, scientific, social, and
cultural, etc., issues. It is believed that this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material
as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
material on this site is distributed without profit to
the included information for research, comment,
discussion and educational purposes by subscribing to
USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article
for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed by forgery by one
or more net terrorists, this post may be reposted several
times.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med

On 8/10/2014 2:16 PM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> Don't Take the Bait-Fish is Not a Health Food

Wrong. Fish is very nutritious and healthful for human consumption.

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med,soc.culture.pakistan

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> health consequences, including increased risk for cancer,
> heart disease, and even death. A recent study revealed a
> link between mercury exposure and diabetes. Among nearly
> 3,000 participants, those who consumed the most mercury
> over an 18-year period had a 65 percent greater risk for
> developing diabetes.
>
> Fish also contain unsafe levels of polychlorinated
> biphenyls, which are dangerous chemicals that have been
> linked to neurological problems and birth defects in
> babies who have been exposed. A plant-based diet
> automatically reduces exposure to these toxins.
>
> This site does not provide medical or legal advice. This
> Web site is for informational purposes only.
>
> Full Disclaimer
> Privacy Policy
>
> The Physicians Committee
> 5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste.400, Washington DC, 20016

Forget Eating Fish - The least likely of all places in
the world to find an uncontaminated fish is...

Excerpt:

Forget Eating Fish

The least likely of all places in the world to find an uncontaminated
fish is in the United States. We have the dubious distinction of
being the world's largest producer of pesticides. We use 1.1 billion
pounds of pesticides a year -- about five pounds for every member of
the population. This amounts to 30% of the entire world's use. You
may be wondering if any fish are safe. Even for research purposes, it
is impossible now for scientists to find fish anywhere in U.S. waters
which do not carry toxic chemicals in their flesh.

A major study reported in Tufts University's Diet and Nutrition
Letter compared the offspring of 242 women who ate varying amounts of
fish from Lake Michigan. The study found that the more fish the
mothers had eaten, the more their babies showed abnormal reflexes,
general weakness, slower response to stimuli, and various signs of
depression. Even mothers eating the fish two or three times a month
produced babies weighing seven to nine ounces less at birth, with
smaller heads. To learn about contaminated fish in other U.S. waters,
please refer to the sources provided below.

- Pimentel, D., "Pesticides . . ." BioScienc 27, March, 1977

- Pimentel, D., "Realities of a Pesticide Ban" Environment, March,
1973

- Turner, J., "A Chemical Feast: Report on the Food and Drug
Administration," Grossman, 1970

- "Infant Abnormalities Linked to PCB Contaminated Fish" Vegetarian
Times, November, 1984

- Robbins, John, "Diet for A New America" Stillpoint Publishing,
1987, pg. 334

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://tinyurl.com/JaiMaharaj
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med

On 8/10/2014 2:58 PM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:
>>
>> Don't Take the Bait-Fish is Not a Health Food

Wrong. Fish is very nutritious and healthful for human consumption.

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med

This "physician's group" is the public relations wing of peta.

The 4 health "problems" alledged for fish can one and all be found in error
if we took the time to refute them from the medical research literature.
It would be easy to show the great bulk of research says fish is just fine.
Not only fine but having great advantages to one's health.

The only claim having merit among the 4 "problems" is contamination of some
fish. For example the large fish whose diet is smaller fish gather in time
mercury that can sometines be at levels to avoid. So eat smaller fish
species and the problem is solved.

It is only some species such as the largest tuna variets and others which
have this potential risk. Even then any health problem can be avoided by
limited use of them. Doctors suggest not having more then one serving of
these large fish a week to avoid the potential problem.

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med,soc.culture.pakistan

Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]

> fish from Lake Michigan. The study found that the more fish the
> mothers had eaten, the more their babies showed abnormal reflexes,
> general weakness, slower response to stimuli, and various signs of
> depression. Even mothers eating the fish two or three times a month
> produced babies weighing seven to nine ounces less at birth, with
> smaller heads. To learn about contaminated fish in other U.S. waters,
> please refer to the sources provided below.
>
> - Pimentel, D., "Pesticides . . ." BioScienc 27, March, 1977
>
> - Pimentel, D., "Realities of a Pesticide Ban" Environment, March,
> 1973
>
> - Turner, J., "A Chemical Feast: Report on the Food and Drug
> Administration," Grossman, 1970
>
> - "Infant Abnormalities Linked to PCB Contaminated Fish" Vegetarian
> Times, November, 1984
>
> - Robbins, John, "Diet for A New America" Stillpoint Publishing,

Go vegetarian, pleads Yana Gupta in new ad

Rediff On The Net
Thursday, January 29, 2004

Would you go vegetarian if Yana Gupta
appeals to you submerged in crystal-
clear water, surrounded by a school
of exotic fish and wearing an
alluring mermaid costume?

View picture at:
http://im.rediff.com/news/2004/jan/29yana.jpg

People for the Ethical Treatment of
Animals thinks some people will and
roped in the Czech-born model for
their new advertisement, which is
part of its campaign to promote
vegetarianism.

It urges people to leave the fish in
the sea to where they belong and to
go vegetarian. It was shot by ace
photographer Jatin Kampani, a release
from PETA said. The tagline Try to
Relate to Who is on Your Plate goes
on to explain that 'Fish are Friends,
not Food'.

"There are so many delicious and
nutritious vegetarian options to
choose from these days - in every
part of the world - that there's no
need to kill fish or any other animal
for food," says Yana Gupta, who is
vegetarian and who also tries to
avoid dairy products. "A vegetarian
diet is good for your health, the
animals, the environment and your
taste buds," she adds.

According to PETA, fish feel pain and
suffer and those who are caught for
food are often impaled, thrown,
crushed and mutilated - all while
still live - and then left to die
slow and painful deaths by
suffocation.

"It is unthinkable that fish do not
have pain receptors: they need them
in order to survive," says
microbiologist Professor Frank Hird.

In commercial fishing, along with the
fish, unintentional victims such as
dolphins, birds and turtles are
captured in huge nets and dragged
along the ocean floor for hours along
with rocks and debris.

PETA website:
http://www.petaindia.org/

More at:
http://in.rediff.com/news/2004/jan/29peta.htm

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.jai-maharaj
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med

On 8/11/2014 10:16 AM, hari.kumar-- wrote:
> This "physician's group" is the public relations wing of peta.

pcrm is a notorious left-wing advocacy group that misstates science all
the time, in pursuit of a political agenda.

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med

On 8/11/2014 10:47 AM, Dr. Jai Maharaj bullshitted:
> Dr. Jai Maharaj bullshitted:
>>
>>> Don't Take the Bait-Fish is Not a Health Food

Fish is a nutritious and healthful food for humans. This is not in
rational dispute.

Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian

On 8/10/2014 2:16 PM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:

> [...]

Existence - "getting to experience life" - is not a benefit for farm
animals.

The "meat industry" [sic] does not "provide life" to livestock animals.
It provides meat to consumers, in the same way strawberry growers
provide strawberries to consumers.
Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 12:11:53 -0700, Goo wrote:

>On 8/11/2014 10:16 AM, hari.kumar-- wrote:
>> This "physician's group" is the public relations wing of peta.

>pcrm is a notorious left-wing advocacy group that misstates science all
>the time, in pursuit of a political agenda.

What is that agenda, Goo?

Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.religion.vaisnava,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.animals.rights.promotion,soc.culture.usa,sci.med

On 9/10/2014 12:13 PM, [email protected]. wrote:
> On 8/11/2014 12:11 PM, james g. keegan jr. wrote:
>> On 8/11/2014 10:16 AM, hari.kumar-- wrote:
>>> This "physician's group" is the public relations wing of peta.

>> pcrm is a notorious left-wing advocacy group that misstates science all
>> the time, in pursuit of a political agenda.

> What is that agenda

Go read about it yourself.