British Airways Vegan meals

Old 20-12-2003, 02:36 AM
lostcherree
Usenet poster

Default British Airways Vegan meals

ok so I flew to London this month on British Airways and I requested a
vegan meal

the first meal I had on the plane seemed vegan (I'm just veggie now so it
doesn't make much difference to me), but then the second meal (breakfast)
wasn't vegan at all. I can't remember what it was but they gave me butter
and this milk substitute that wasn't vegan.

then coming back... they for some reason had my marked down as having a L-O
veggie meal, but the second meal was labeled vegan and it consisted of the
following:

egg and mayo sandwich
chocolate banana muffin
cheese and onion crackers
milk for tea

?!?!!?!? I figured someone just marked it wrong, but I dunno

does this happen to you guys frequently?

Heather
Old 20-12-2003, 02:50 AM
Rubystars
Usenet poster

"lostcherree" wrote in message
[...]

The people on the airlines probably thought eggs and milk were vegan because
they probably don't understand the difference between vegan and vegetarian.
And a lot of people think that vegetarians don't mind if something contains
"just a little" meat, like say, cooking vegetables in bacon grease, or
adding chicken broth to vegetable soup, or serving yogurt with gelatin.

You can't change the world but the way to deal with it next time is probably
to pack your own meals and take them with you. That way, if they serve you
something palatable, fine. If it turns out not being something you can eat,
you have something ready to eat instead.

-Rubystars

Old 20-12-2003, 03:13 AM
lostcherree
Usenet poster

The people on the airlines probably thought eggs and milk were vegan
because they probably don't understand the difference between vegan
and vegetarian. And a lot of people think that vegetarians don't mind
if something contains "just a little" meat, like say, cooking
vegetables in bacon grease, or adding chicken broth to vegetable soup,
or serving yogurt with gelatin.

You can't change the world but the way to deal with it next time is
probably to pack your own meals and take them with you. That way, if
they serve you something palatable, fine. If it turns out not being
something you can eat, you have something ready to eat instead.

-Rubystars

I don't want to change the world (insert billy bragg lyric here)

since I'm not vegan anymore, I ate it anyways, but it's just silly how you
can request a vegan meal and they will only give you one vegan meal out of
two. Then mess it up entirely on the returning flight. I just wanted to see
if that happened to other people as well. It's kind of a bigger inconvience
to have the option of a vegan meal, have an expectation, and then them not
coming through...

I will say the first meal I had, the cous cous, was mighty tasty though

heather

Old 20-12-2003, 03:20 AM
Rubystars
Usenet poster

"lostcherree" wrote in message
snip
I don't want to change the world (insert billy bragg lyric here)

lol

since I'm not vegan anymore, I ate it anyways, but it's just silly how you
can request a vegan meal and they will only give you one vegan meal out
of
two.

They don't know what "Vegan" is. I wouldn't be surprised if someone said
they were vegan, requested a vegan meal, and ended up with a kosher or halal
meat dish.

Then mess it up entirely on the returning flight. I just wanted to see
if that happened to other people as well. It's kind of a bigger

inconvience
to have the option of a vegan meal, have an expectation, and then them not
coming through...

There have been other people that posted here in the past about similar
things.

I will say the first meal I had, the cous cous, was mighty tasty though

That's good at least.

-Rubystars

Old 20-12-2003, 08:59 AM
MrFalafel
[...]

I've flown with BA many times and they've always given me a vegan meal
as requested. I always call and confirm the meal a day or so before
the flight and also confirm it when I check-in for my boarding pass.
BA offers several different types of vegetarian meals (kosher,
western, and a few others) so it's not suprising if they make a
mistake every now and then. I consider BA to be the most accomodating
airline for vegans.
Old 20-12-2003, 10:19 AM
Adam D. Moss
Usenet poster

MrFalafel wrote:
I've flown with BA many times and they've always given me a vegan meal
as requested. I always call and confirm the meal a day or so before
the flight and also confirm it when I check-in for my boarding pass.
BA offers several different types of vegetarian meals (kosher,
western, and a few others) so it's not suprising if they make a
mistake every now and then. I consider BA to be the most accomodating
airline for vegans.

The last time I flew anywhere was with BA, and I ended up
getting nothing to eat (not that airline meals are a big
improvement over nothing) despite pre-ordering a vegan
meal. I didn't have to remind them, they came to me and
said that they didn't get a vegan meal put onboard. I
wasn't too bothered though.

--adam
Old 20-12-2003, 01:47 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

On 20 Dec 2003 00:59:11 -0800, (MrFalafel) wrote:

mistake every now and then. I consider BA to be the most accomodating
airline for vegans.

I have found Air Lanka to be the best in that respect. They have
several different "classes" of vegetarian meals and absolutely
fantastic "pure vegetarian" (vegan) meals. I flew with them between
Australia and Europe 3 times and found their service in this respect
nothing short of impeccable.
....On the other hand the worst so far has been Air France... what part
of the sentence "I don't eat meat" don't they understand?? For the
French it seems that vegetarianism is pretty much akin to having 3
heads and being a dangerous subversive!

regards,

Paul.

Old 22-12-2003, 11:13 AM
JAID
Usenet poster

Jennifer Huebl wrote:

...bring your own snacks and drinks on the plane just in case.
Expect the worst with airline special meals -- that way you'll be
surprised and happy when you get something edible =)

Yes, sensible suggestion. Likewise, I reckon airlines make a decent
attempt most of the time and a couple times a stunning effort, way
beyond the call.

Then, I like melon.

Ian