Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately?

I stopped using Lipton tea about 15 years ago. I tried a number of
different brands, both in the same price range and above, and found
without exception that every one of them was superior to Lipton, which
in comparison seemed too astringent and lacking in body.

A couple of months ago, I had to attend a seminar so I had to resort to
buying a cup of tea instead of making my own, and the only choice was
Lipton. I was surprised when it tasted a lot better than I thought it
would. Of course, my expectations were not that high to begin with.

I just returned from grocery shopping and on a whim, bought two boxes
of Lipton tea bags because they were on sale - 2 boxes of 100 tea bags
for $5. I figured that, if nothing else, they could be used to make
iced tea. When I got home, I decided to make a cup, just out of
curiosity. I let it infuse for 5 minutes, and it made a nice, dark
brew - just how I like it. In the past, I seem to remember Lipton
making a very pale liquor. I am sipping on it right now, and I must
say it is surprisingly good with none of the astringency that I
remember from years ago. This is a much smoother, full-bodied tea than
what I grew up with.

Lipton's packaging has changed significantly in recent years, but I had
assumed that the tea itself had stayed the same. Now I am convinced
that they have changed their blend. Probably they were losing market
share and were forced to improve the quality. Either that or my taste
buds have gone to hell altogether -- LOL!!

I definitely would have no qualms about drinking Lipton in the future.
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this change?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Rob wrote:
>Either that or my taste
> buds have gone to hell altogether -- LOL!!
>
> I definitely would have no qualms about drinking Lipton in the future.
> I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this change?

I'm going with the downward spiral of your poor tastebuds.

Honestly it can be a couple of factors. Time of day, quality of water,
and personal taste. They only have Lipton in my office (which I barely
ever touch) but when I do it is always to add some sugar to and get all
the caffeine and sugar as possible early in the day or to keep me going
for the last hour.

It is always slightly bitter and acidic and harsh, especially if brewed
for 5 minutes! However, I'm always one to say go with what tastes good
to *you* not some critic or whoever else. My best suggestion to you
would be to try a few other teas in this class and then decide: Taj
Mahal Brand Tea (found in Indian groceries), PG Tips, Typhoo (nice if
you like strong tea), or a good english breakfast tea.

I have not noticed any changes, or any changes for the better in Lipton
over the past 10 years or so... but that's just me.

- Dominic
Drinking: Taj Mahal Brand Assam w/honey

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic T. wrote:

> Honestly it can be a couple of factors. Time of day, quality of water,
> and personal taste. They only have Lipton in my office (which I barely
> ever touch) but when I do it is always to add some sugar to and get all
> the caffeine and sugar as possible early in the day or to keep me going
> for the last hour.
>
> It is always slightly bitter and acidic and harsh, especially if brewed
> for 5 minutes! However, I'm always one to say go with what tastes good
> to *you* not some critic or whoever else. My best suggestion to you
> would be to try a few other teas in this class and then decide: Taj
> Mahal Brand Tea (found in Indian groceries), PG Tips, Typhoo (nice if
> you like strong tea), or a good english breakfast tea.

I've ben drinking PG Tips and Taj Mahal for quite a while now. I am
not saying that Lipton is the best tea I've ever had, but what I had
today was perfectly acceptable in a bind. And believe me, before this
I would not touch any Lipton product with a 10-foot pole. Taj Mahal
still remains my favorite because the price is right and it is a
stronger brew than Lipton.

I do think the mainstream brands have been forced to improve their
blends due to the increased availablity of gourmet teas. I read that a
few years ago Tetley changed its formula. They replaced their
"original" blend with the "classic" blend, which is supposedly the same
blend they sell in the UK. I am beginning to think that Lipton may
have quietly done the same. I noticed that the phrase "Brisk" no
longer appears on their packaging. In fact, the package is a lot
closer to the Lipton Yellow Label packaging that the rest of the world
gets.

The Lipton provided in your office may be a foodservice version or it
may just be old. There's a takeout place in the lobby of my building
where coffee and tea are sold and I noticed that they are still selling
Tetley Original Blend, which was discontinued by Tetley about six years
ago.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:20:26 -0800, Rob wrote:

> I stopped using Lipton tea about 15 years ago. I tried a number of
> different brands, both in the same price range and above, and found
> without exception that every one of them was superior to Lipton, which
> in comparison seemed too astringent and lacking in body.
>
> A couple of months ago, I had to attend a seminar so I had to resort to
> buying a cup of tea instead of making my own, and the only choice was
> Lipton. I was surprised when it tasted a lot better than I thought it
> would. Of course, my expectations were not that high to begin with.
>
> I just returned from grocery shopping and on a whim, bought two boxes
> of Lipton tea bags because they were on sale - 2 boxes of 100 tea bags
> for $5. I figured that, if nothing else, they could be used to make
> iced tea. When I got home, I decided to make a cup, just out of
> curiosity. I let it infuse for 5 minutes, and it made a nice, dark
> brew - just how I like it. In the past, I seem to remember Lipton
> making a very pale liquor. I am sipping on it right now, and I must
> say it is surprisingly good with none of the astringency that I
> remember from years ago. This is a much smoother, full-bodied tea than
> what I grew up with.
>
> Lipton's packaging has changed significantly in recent years, but I had
> assumed that the tea itself had stayed the same. Now I am convinced
> that they have changed their blend. Probably they were losing market
> share and were forced to improve the quality. Either that or my taste
> buds have gone to hell altogether -- LOL!!
>
> I definitely would have no qualms about drinking Lipton in the future.
> I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this change?

I have been drinking Lipton's green tea and like it. I quit drinking
Lipton's black many years ago because it made my teeth extra sensitive.
Today I fished a 4 oz can of Twining's Jasmine from the back of a top
shelf. It has been there for many years. Instead of throwing it out, I
made a pot for lunch. It was still fragrant and tasted good. How long
will tea keep as a general rule? MLB

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

mlbriggs wrote:

> > How long

> will tea keep as a general rule? MLB

It depends on the type of tea and how it is being stored. Fannings and
dust, which are used in tea bags, deteriorate more quickly than whole
leaves. The usual advice is to use it within one year of manufacture.

That being said, however, at other peoples' houses I have had tea made
from very old teabags - Red Rose and Tetley. I could tell they were
old because the packaging had been redesigned several years earlier,
and these were still the old design. I cringed when I saw that, but I
was surprised that the tea tasted just fine.

I had another cup of Lipton this afternoon. I did not enjoy it as much
as the first one from this morning. It is not as good as PG Tips or
Taj Mahal, but it still seems a lot better than I remembered it being
years ago.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately?"

When hell freezes over maybe.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

wrote:
> "Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately?"
>
> When hell freezes over maybe.

Wow, what a helpful response!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Rob wrote:
> I've ben drinking PG Tips and Taj Mahal for quite a while now. I am
> not saying that Lipton is the best tea I've ever had, but what I had
> today was perfectly acceptable in a bind. And believe me, before this
> I would not touch any Lipton product with a 10-foot pole. Taj Mahal
> still remains my favorite because the price is right and it is a
> stronger brew than Lipton.

I wasn't sure if you had tried any of those or not, sorry I'm new
'round here. The Lipton we have in my office is bought weekly from the
grocery store next door. One box of decaf and one regular, so it is
fresh (as can be) and regular retail stock. I realy haven't noticed a
difference, not to say there hasn't been one, just that I haven't
detected it. I do think a lot of both coffee and tea companies have had
to get their stuff together and put out a little better product (or
market their old product as new and hip and "premium") to compete, but
Lipton is still pretty low on my personal list. I always hate to seem
like a tea snob, it is just that the same money can buy me so many more
wonderful teas from the asian market that it is hard for me to even
consider Lipton. Even a change to Salada or Red Rose is a step above
Lipton to me, so I really place it low. Any tea that I can't drink
without adding sugar is at the bottom.

- Dominic
Drinking: Chamomille Tea.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Rob wrote:
> That being said, however, at other peoples' houses I have had tea made
> from very old teabags - Red Rose and Tetley. I could tell they were
> old because the packaging had been redesigned several years earlier,
> and these were still the old design. I cringed when I saw that, but I
> was surprised that the tea tasted just fine.

Well, to think about it, good tea is picked in Spring, and is still
pretty
darned good in Winter. Back when tea was a major economic driver
of the British Empire, it could take months for the stuff to get from
garden to shop, sit there for a few months, end up in a caddy, , and
quite some time to reach the bottom of the caddy.

It doesn't go off, and if kept cool and dry and dark and away from
circulating
air, it shouldn't deteriorate too quickly. And if it started out at a
lower
quality, you can hardly expect to see it get much worse than you'd
expect
new low-quality tea to be.

Makes me wonder what Pu-erh would taste like if the mold didn't set
in...

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic T. wrote:

> Lipton is still pretty low on my personal list. I always hate to seem
> like a tea snob, it is just that the same money can buy me so many more
> wonderful teas from the asian market that it is hard for me to even
> consider Lipton. Even a change to Salada or Red Rose is a step above
> Lipton to me, so I really place it low. Any tea that I can't drink
> without adding sugar is at the bottom.

I agree with you. Lipton is by no means my favorite; all I am saying
is that it will do in a pinch. In the past, I might have said I'd
rather have nothing at all. I drank Red Rose for many years but got
lately I have gotten tired of it. It just seemed tasteless to me after
I'd been drinking Taj Mahal for a while. Maybe after some time away
from it, it will taste better to me, like the Lipton does.

I had another cup of Lipton this afternoon. It was not horrible, but I
didn't enjoy it as much as I did that first cup earlier in the day.
Maybe that first cup just exceeded my low expectations. I will
probably use the rest of the Lipton for iced tea. Iced tea seems to
taste pretty much the same no matter what brand I use, so I tend to use
whatever is cheap and save my money for more expensive teas that I like
to drink hot.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

And if it started out at a
> lower
> quality, you can hardly expect to see it get much worse than you'd
> expect
> new low-quality tea to be.

Well, I don't know about that. If I had to have low quality tea, I
would at least prefer it to be fresh, wouldn't you? And I wouldn't
want something that was really stale, no matter how high quality it was
purported to be when it was first made.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ozzy wrote:

I was permanently
> disenchanted with the brand many years ago, when I first began to realize
> that L.'s simply *would not* make as drinkable a masala chai as Taj Mahal,
> regardless of the spices used nor the sweetnener nor the nature of the
> lightener.
>
> Ozzy

I have no doubt that you are correct. But let's face it, the Lipton
tea sold in America wasn't intended to be used as a base for masala
chai. There is a reason that Taj Mahal is stronger - because people in
India do use these teas for chai. Likewise, tea in England is blended
stronger because it needs to stand up to the addition of milk.

The United States is a very large and ethnically diverse country, as
everyone knows. So it stands to reason that anything that is
mass-marketed on a nationwide basis - like Lipton tea or Folgers coffee
or any popular brand of beer - is going to be rather
middle-of-the-road, not too strong, not too weak. Of course no product
is going to be to everybody's taste. I wish that the tea sold in
American supermarkets was more like what is sold in England. But I'm
grateful that even though this isn't the case, there are plenty of
other outlets out there where I can find something that is more to my
liking. Not necessarily better or worse, just more in line with my
personal preferences.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>>> When hell freezes over maybe.

> Wow, what a helpful response!

> If we're talking about the Lipton tea sold bagged in US supermarkets,
> said response is right on the money.

> stePH

Why, just yesterday I drank a paper cup stuffed with a Lipton teabag, with
sugar and milk that I added my very self. I bought it at the corner deli run
by a friendly Yemeni fellow, and drank it at the bus stop. It didn't kill
me.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Your domain is available - http://www.swill.com/

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Pat" > writes:

> [...US supermarket tea is middle-of-the-road...]

> I wish that the tea sold in American supermarkets was more like what
> is sold in England.

I wish the tea sold in US supermarkets were more like what's sold in China.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Pat" > wrote in
oups.com:

> There is a reason that Taj Mahal is stronger - because people in
> India do use these teas for chai. Likewise, tea in England is blended
> stronger because it needs to stand up to the addition of milk.
>
> The United States is a very large and ethnically diverse country, as
> everyone knows. So it stands to reason that anything that is
> mass-marketed on a nationwide basis - like Lipton tea or Folgers coffee
> or any popular brand of beer - is going to be rather
> middle-of-the-road, not too strong, not too weak. Of course no product
> is going to be to everybody's taste. I wish that the tea sold in
> American supermarkets was more like what is sold in England. But I'm
> grateful that even though this isn't the case, there are plenty of
> other outlets out there where I can find something that is more to my
> liking. Not necessarily better or worse, just more in line with my
> personal preferences.

Sounds reasonable enough, and bottom line, no-one can argue with personal
taste, however much they disagree with it.

I also observe that main-line America has not exactly been a nation of
tea-drinkers, either. That's slowly changing -- you can find more diverse
& better teas in an average chain supermarket than you could thirty years
ago. (Obviously more shelf space is still set aside for various brands of
coffee, some in enormous cans, because more demand is expected.) The
traditional preference for tea in the UK is doubtless responsible for the
difference you mention in the quality of supermarket brands.

My personal taste says that Lipton's are, if not the worst of readily
available tea bags, certainly far from preferrable. Judging by some of
the responses in this thread so far, I'm not alone.

However, people's tastes matter mostly to themselves. Most people in the
US find themselves in situations where Lipton is the only tea available,
because it is so very common. Surely the person who can readily accept
that, or even enjoy the cup of necessity, is better off.

Ozzy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ozzy wrote:

> I also observe that main-line America has not exactly been a nation of
> tea-drinkers, either.

And that is why it is so difficult to find good tea in American
supermarkets. They've all been blended to be lighter and less robust -
and that may be OK for iced tea, but if you like a good strong cuppa,
you usually have to go searching beyond the supermarket shelves. It
can be found, but sometimes you really have to look.

That's slowly changing -- you can find more diverse
> & better teas in an average chain supermarket than you could thirty years
> ago. (Obviously more shelf space is still set aside for various brands of
> coffee, some in enormous cans, because more demand is expected.)

Yes, and I do think the quality of what is offered in supermarkets is
improving as a result of the increased competition from
gourmet/specialty teas and coffees.

The
> traditional preference for tea in the UK is doubtless responsible for the
> difference you mention in the quality of supermarket brands.

It's a catch-22. Do the British have better quality supermarket teas
because they are serious tea drinkers, or are they serious tea drinkers
because better quality tea has been made available to them. Likewise,
do Americans have lesser quality tea on their supermarket shelves
because they don't care about tea, or do they not like tea because what
they've tried was of middling quality?

> My personal taste says that Lipton's are, if not the worst of readily
> available tea bags, certainly far from preferrable. Judging by some of
> the responses in this thread so far, I'm not alone.

I agree. Lipton is far from my favorite, but I would choose it over a
lot of the fruit-flavored teas I see in supermarkets. But I do think
some people are a bit over the top with their hatred for Lipton - I get
the distinct impression that some would rather drink raw sewage than
Lipton. It all gets a bit ridiculous.

> However, people's tastes matter mostly to themselves. Most people in the
> US find themselves in situations where Lipton is the only tea available,
> because it is so very common. Surely the person who can readily accept
> that, or even enjoy the cup of necessity, is better off.

Exactly. I honestly think that proper preparation is more important to
making a good cuppa than the brand of tea that is used. Naturally,
better quality tea will taste better, but even a mediocre tea can
suffice when need be if it is well-prepared.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Not sure my two cents is worth much but here goes.
I think we have to realize that Lipton, Red Rose, Tetley and other
"blended" teabag merchants are providing a product. It may not be a
product we all like but nonetheless it is a product just like the best
Long Jing or Mao Feng or Ti Guan Yi or any other tea manufacturer you
may happen to like.

Lipton has changed its blend several times for several reasons. The
main reason is the availability from year to year of the tea leaves
available to Lipton in the quantities needed to produce its product.
With the Sunami last growing season it devestated much of Sri Lankas
tea crop and the ensuing unusually dry season didn't help either for
India's tea crop. This meant that Lipton and others had to buy their
bulk tea elsewhere and it meant that their "taste testers" had to blend
various harvests together to provide the same level of taste and
quality that is known as the Lipton brand.

Having said all this I can drink any tea including Lipton when
desperate enough. I give Lipton Red Rose Tetley and others high marks
for consistency year to year. You may not like it and that's fine but
realize they produce a product that is "standardized" year to year
which is pretty amazing when you realize the scale on which they
produce.

For me personally I prefer none blended teas particularly from the high
mountain regions of Taiwan, The West Lake Region and Yunnan and Fujian
Provinces of China but that's just me. I will tell you the 'consitency'
of tea from these regions vary from year to year just like wine.

Just a side note ( and I may start another string about this ) tea has
never recovered its "king" status in the US since the war of 1812.
Coffee has remained king since then and little doubt it will remain so
for sometime to come. But tea is a more gentile and subtle beverage
that comes to us when we are older and perhaps a bit wiser to
understand that "in your face" isn't always the way to go.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Pat" > writes:
>

>> [...US supermarket tea is middle-of-the-road...]

>> I wish that the tea sold in American supermarkets was more
>> like what is sold in England.

> I wish the tea sold in US supermarkets were more like what's
> sold in China.

I call foul. "Sold in Chinese supermarkets" is the proper
parallel. What's on the shelf of the average Chinese supermarket?
As for me, I'd be pleased as punch to have on US shelves a selection
of tea readily available at ordinary Japanese grocery stores.

--crymad

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

crymad > writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> > "Pat" > writes:
> >
> >> [...US supermarket tea is middle-of-the-road...]

> >> I wish that the tea sold in American supermarkets was more like
> >> what is sold in England.

> > I wish the tea sold in US supermarkets were more like what's sold in
> > China.

> I call foul. "Sold in Chinese supermarkets" is the proper
> parallel. What's on the shelf of the average Chinese supermarket?

Stipulating for the moment that you are the law in these parts, the
Chinese supermarkets in the New York area vary widely, but they all
have tens of brands or varieties. I've never risked serious money on
Chinese supermarket tea, but when I buy cheap tea there, sometimes
it's compost and sometimes it's quite good for a wake-up cup.
SMMV[1], of course.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
[1]Sheriff's mileage may vary (depending on the horse?)
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> I've never risked serious money on
>Chinese supermarket tea, but when I buy cheap tea there, sometimes
>it's compost and sometimes it's quite good for a wake-up cup.
>SMMV[1], of course.

Very Funny! But sadly true!LOL As with everything the buyer must
beware. But as tea enthusiasts hell we should try everything at least
once right?

>As for me, I'd be pleased as punch to have on US shelves a selection
>of tea readily available at ordinary Japanese grocery stores.

For those living in the Northern New Jersey or Greater NYC area there
is no excuse on this one! Mitsuwa Supermarket exists in North New
Jersey just below Fort Lee and is an excellent Japanese Supermarket
complete with japanese teas!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

humantenacity wrote:
> Not sure my two cents is worth much but here goes.
> I think we have to realize that Lipton, Red Rose, Tetley and other
> "blended" teabag merchants are providing a product. It may not be a
> product we all like but nonetheless it is a product just like the best
> Long Jing or Mao Feng or Ti Guan Yi or any other tea manufacturer you
> may happen to like.

Exactly. That was my point in starting this thread, but you've said it
better than I did. I don't think any of these teas are great but I
don't think they are particularly terrible either. Any of them will do
when nothing else is available. And I don't think Lipton is really
any worse than the others. I used to think it wa much worse than the
others. So either the others are not as good as I once thought they
were, or Lipton has been forced to improve its product. Speaking of
the others, I had a cup of Red Rose tonight. Red Rose used to be a
favorite of mine, but now it just tastes like colored water. So that's
another brand delegated to "iced tea only" status, and when what I have
onhand is used up I probably won't buy it again.

I don't think any of these teas are really bad, per se. They are what
they are, and they've been blended to the tastes of the average
American consumer, as market research has undoubtedly identified it to
be. My taste just happens to be different. I am really grateful to
have discovered brands like Taj Mahal which are cheap and easy to find
in Indian markets. It has saved me a lot of money because I was to the
point where the only teas I could enjoy were expense imports from
Britain that I bought online.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

humantenacity wrote:

> With the Sunami last growing season it devestated much of Sri Lankas
> tea crop and the ensuing unusually dry season didn't help either for
> India's tea crop. This meant that Lipton and others had to buy their
> bulk tea elsewhere and it meant that their "taste testers" had to blend
> various harvests together to provide the same level of taste and
> quality that is known as the Lipton brand.

humantenacity,

I am curious as to your source of info on the 'devastated' tea crop in
Sri Lanka post tsunami. I got reports from the source that said just
the opposite. The tea grows from 200 ft elevation to 6000 ft. The
tsunami did not touch the tea crop. What it did to humans, property
along the coast, and the general economy is another matter. Liptons and
many other blenders in the US use Argentinian and Kenyan tea that was
not damaged either.

richard

Mark Lipton, I need your help please D&K Condron Wine 1 05-11-2007 02:05 AM
lipton green tea [email protected] Tea 7 05-12-2006 03:01 AM
Has Lipton tea been reformulated? Rob Tea 0 17-06-2005 04:09 PM
Lipton Ice Te RB Watts Tea 1 23-07-2004 09:23 PM
Lipton's Tea Leif Thorvaldson Tea 16 04-02-2004 04:04 AM