sherdwen

Default Tea vs. Coffee

Tea vs. Coffee
Comparing the health, history, lifestyle, caffeine content and
characteristics of Tea vs. Coffee has been an eye opening experience

Health benefits
Tea - research shows that green tea may prevent cancer, restrict blood
cholesterol, control high blood pressure, lower blood sugar, suppress
aging, deter food poisoning prevent and treat skin disease, stop
cavities and fight viruses
see health benefits for more details

Coffee- no research was found to suggest that coffee may enhance
health. Upon reviewing the characteristics of coffee the presence of
carbohydrates, minerals, and phenolic acid suggest the possibility of
potential health benefits but apparently not substantial enough to be
noteworthy

History
Tea - The history of tea began thousands of years ago when Emperor Shen
Nung discovered tea in 2700 B.C.

Coffee - The history of coffee began much later and is believed to have
been first cultivated in Arabia near the Red Sea in 674 A.D.

Caffeine content and effects
Tea - Tea has approximately 55 milligrams of caffeine per cup. Various
teas contain different amounts of caffeine. Green tea contains the
least, about one-third the caffeine as black and oolong about
two-thirds as much. The caffeine in tea is said to increase
concentration, and enhance the sense of taste and smell. The effect of
caffeine in tea usually takes longer to enter the blood stream than
coffee therefore, seems gentler to the system. About 80% of the
caffeine in black tea can be removed easily at home
see tips on removing caffeine

Coffee - Coffee has approximately 125-185 milligrams of caffeine per
cup. The caffeine in coffee is sometimes associated with a lift
followed by a letdown. The effects of the caffeine in coffee are
immediate and sometimes arouse feelings of anxiety known as "coffee
jitters". Many varieties of decaffeinated coffees are available on the
market today.
Note: the University of California at Berkley Wellness Letter/1988 that
tea or coffee drunk in moderation (two reported it cups of coffee a day
and four or five cups of black tea) has no harmful effects.
Cost Comparison
Tea - Tea in no longer considered an expensive luxury drink and is
actually less expensive per cup than most beverages on the market at
about $1.16 per cup.
Coffee - Coffee is approximately $1.47 per cup
Characteristics
Tea - Tea contains tannin, catechin, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Natural
fluorine and Polysaccharides. tannin and catechin have been associated
with preventing cancer and heart disease

Coffee - Coffee contains caffeine, trigonelline, chlorogenic acid,
phenolic acid, amino acid, carbohydrates, minerals, organic acids
aldehydes, ketones, esters, amines, and mercaptans. None of the
ingredients in coffee have been associated with fighting disease or
enhancing health.

Lifestyle
Tea - Tea is a genteel beverage requiring preparation and time to sip.
The pace is always slow, calm and tranquil, the beverage soothing.

Coffee - The coffee culture can be fast paced and frantic. Images of
people in lines at the drive-through talking into microphones and
driving around buildings to pick up huge paper cups of the daily
special come to mind.

always been said to prolong life and enhance health. Tea has less
caffeine in it per cup than coffee and is one of the least expensive
beverages on the market today. Tea promotes peace and tranquility and
requires a degree of ceremony.
http://www.teatimeworldwide.com/Men/tea_vs_coffee.html
i thought this was an interesting post i found.
personally i feel-
the caffeine in coffee is much more "harsh" on the body, like a slap in
the face. i find tea like a fresh breeze of air.
--sherdwen

http://teaarts.blogspot.com/

TeaDave

while I agree that tea is far better than coffee, for the sake of
argument I would like to mention some problems with this list.
1. Tea discovered by Shen Nung, 2700 BC - Does the writer of this
website have a time machine? The author seems to be completely sure of
his names and dates.
2. "no research was found to suggest that coffee may enhance
health" Did the author look?
3. Cost of tea- "$1.16 per cup" Ouch!
4. "Tea - Tea is a genteel beverage requiring preparation and time to
sip. The pace is always slow, calm and tranquil, the beverage soothing.

Coffee - The coffee culture can be fast paced and frantic. Images of
people in lines at the drive-through talking into microphones and
driving around buildings to pick up huge paper cups of the daily
special come to mind."
Tea- "always"
Coffee- "can be"
This is by no means a fair compairison, nor is it intended to be.

I agree with this author, but tea doesn't need any extra help/biased
writing to be better than coffee.

Rosco

That's an interesting post...I tend to think of coffee as more of a
"drug" - not refreshing like tea but effective for clearing out morning
cobwebs.

I wouldn't characterize coffee culture as "frantic" though. I always
associate coffee breaks with relaxation and conversation.

Ross

--
Oolong Tea direct from Taiwan
http://www.teafromtaiwan.com/
sherdwen

I stated
>h**p://www.teatimeworldwi.......
>------------------------------=AD--------------------
>i thought this was an interesting post i found.

teadave stated
>Tea discovered by Shen Nung, 2700 BC - Does the
>writer of this
>website have a time machine? The author seems to be >completely sure of
>his names and dates.

teadave your right we would need a time machine. the author talks of
shen nung, but as far as the history records go shen nung is just a
legend, at least at this point in time. the only factual record of tea
that come real real clear is lu-yu's tea classic. Tang dynasty.
sherdwen/icetea

Scott Dorsey

In article >, Rosco > wrote:
>That's an interesting post...I tend to think of coffee as more of a
>"drug" - not refreshing like tea but effective for clearing out morning
>cobwebs.
>
>I wouldn't characterize coffee culture as "frantic" though. I always
>associate coffee breaks with relaxation and conversation.

--cut here--
Newsgroups: talk.bizarre
From: (Scott Dorsey)
Subject: ADVERTISEMENT: WORKPLACE PRODUCTIVITY AID
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 14:25:52 GMT

The "coffee break" is a long-standing office tradition, but one that is
often not well received by management. But now, with the aid of modern
technology you can take this formerly wasted time, and turn it into powerful
productivity-enhancing time with the KAFEBONG.

Let's first examine the two major problems that are faced with coffee in the
average workplace, and how each one of these difficulties are solved with the
KAFEBONG. How many times have you seen any of the following take place in
your office?

1. Employees complain that the coffee is not fresh

With the KAFEBONG this will never happen. Steam is forced through a
coffee filter, condensed, and delivered directly to the employee's
mouth within seconds. It has no time to become stale.

2. Employers complain that personnel waste time drinking coffee

With the KAFEBONG, a person can consume six cups of coffee in the
space of ten seconds. Long coffee breaks are a thing of the past
with the KAFEBONG, as employees are bright-eyed within an instant.

The KAFEBONG takes useless time and turns it into the most important time
of the day. It has revolutionized many major corporations, inside and out.
If you don't believe us, listen to some of our many satisfied users, both
in labor and in management:

"Before the KAFEBONG, we had a lot of trouble getting line workers to
show up at the beginning of the day. Now we have trouble getting them
to go home! Some of the guys on the line normally work six or seven days
straight."
-- Jules Thomas, Owner, National Furniture Manufacturing

"Bong! Bongbong bong! Kafkaf! KAFEBONG wonderful! Wonderful wonderful
wonderbong KAFEBONG!"
-- Jim Stout, upholstery stapler, National Furniture Manufacturing

"With the KAFEBONG on-board, we can keep the pilot wide-eyed on any flight,
even long transatlantic trips. In this way, we can eliminate the co-pilot
and pass our savings on to the customer."
-- Scott Case, CEO, JaluVet Airlines

"We certify that the KAFEBONG is... perfectly safe and... unlikely to produce
any caffeine-induced psychosis... unless badly misused."
-- American Medical Association

"We used to have real problems with teacher burnout when dealing with large
classes of sixty to seventy hyperactive children, but now with the KAFEBONG
our teacher retention rate is dramatically higher."
-- Thomas Mellors, Principal, Timothy Leary Elementary

Now that you've heard what the KAFEBONG can do for your workplace, you know
that you must order it. We're so confident that you'll be pleased with the
system that we're extending this special offer: try the KAFEBONG for three
weeks at our cost, and if you like it, pay us $250 down and $25 a month
for the next four years. We know that once you start using the KAFEBONG,
you'll find that you just can't work the same way without it. Work harder
the easy way--- with the KAFEBONG

danube

> Now that you've heard what the KAFEBONG can do for your workplace, you
> know that you must order it. We're so confident that you'll be pleased
> with the system that we're extending this special offer: try the KAFEBONG
> for three weeks at our cost, and if you like it, pay us $250 down and $25
> a month for the next four years. We know that once you start using the
> KAFEBONG, you'll find that you just can't work the same way without it.
> Work harder the easy way--- with the KAFEBONG

Kafe Bongs me up