Alex Chaihorsky

I agree on all points. You seem like a reasonable person with whom one can
talk about these matters without filtering each and every word.
Next time you are in Reno, gimme a buzz. We will love to have you for dinner
and tea at our casa.

Cheers,

Sasha.

> [...]
> with that. My favorite story is about the time my Jewish husband and I
> went
> to see my relatives- I was afraid that they would ask him stupid questions
> about Cha-noo-kuh. Instead, they were nice and ignored us the way the
> pretty much ignore everybody. In other words, he was accepted. On the
> other side, he was afraid to tell his mother I was black, even though she
> was an old lefty. When he finally showed her a picture of me, she was
> happy- she was afraid I was some Irish Catholic and would try to convert
> him! In her mind, a black woman was almost as good as being part of the
> 'tribe', as it were.
>
> You have to understand- people in my family range in color from cream to
> bitter chocolate. Black-white dating is in my experience (and in the
> experience of all of my black girlfriends, who have all dated white or
> non-American men) more fraught for white people than it is for many of us.
> We know more about 'white culture' than vice versa. I've found that the
> more
> assimilated blacks and whites are to each other, the more likely they are
> date interracially. In other words, most black people in poverty areas of
> NY wouldn't, but a certain number of college and prep-school educated ones
> might. My husband and I, for instance, bot loved jazz and the blues, and
> he
> introduced me to early R&B; his parents and my parents both had been
> involved in the Civil Rights movement, and he and I had both gone to
> schools
> for the gifted. I'd also grown up ina Jewish neighborhood, and he'd gone
> camp with Paul Robeson, Jr. Culturally we were perfect for each other. As
> for the BF, he's a former military brat- to him, everyone is equally
> alien.
> He was a 'minority' in his home town because he spoke with a Devon accent
> as
> a child, and because he didn't think black people were different from
> anyone
> else. He's been dating non-white women since the age of 18, and never had
> problem with his family.
>
> With many white people, it's all about desire and shame. Shame in that
> they've already 'mixed' with us (how did we get to be so many colors
> anyway?) and desire (for instance, Italian-American men whose bloodlines
> are
> from Sicily and lower Italy will often make it clear they are interested
> in
> me- and I see more and more ads from Italian-American men who actually
> want
> to date and marry black women). Black people feel desire and shame also,
> because of slavery. This may be why most of my friends usually date
> Europeans or ex-military guys or Jewish guys rather than home-grown
> American
> white guys- there tends to be less baggage.

Alex Chaihorsky

> [...]

> else. He's been dating non-white women since the age of 18, and never had
> problem with his family.
>
> With many white people, it's all about desire and shame. Shame in that
> they've already 'mixed' with us (how did we get to be so many colors
> anyway?) and desire (for instance, Italian-American men whose bloodlines
> are
> from Sicily and lower Italy will often make it clear they are interested
> in
> me- and I see more and more ads from Italian-American men who actually
> want
> to date and marry black women). Black people feel desire and shame also,
> because of slavery. This may be why most of my friends usually date
> Europeans or ex-military guys or Jewish guys rather than home-grown
> American
> white guys- there tends to be less baggage.

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:46:17 GMT, Tea wrote:

love
> > us

> > course,

> > next

> > because

> > anyway.

will

> > experience a

behavioral

this
> > and

are
> > all

it

> > never

is

> >> My family surname is Welsh in origin and can literally be translated
> >> as "pasty white honky." And yet my uncle's third wife is black - and a
> >> wonderful lady, to boot.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, while the Washington, DC, area has been good to them,
> >> they're approaching retirement age. And all the locations they've
> >> seriously considered for their post-employment life have proven to be
> >> less than welcoming to a multi-racial couple.
> >>
> >> Truth be told, my uncle's a better man because of my aunt. Period.
> >> It's a shame that people get their knickers in a knot over something
> >> that is really so inconsequential.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Derek
> >>
> >> Sometimes the end doesn't justify the jeans.

> > The BF and I have already had 'the talk'. He's planning on moving up

here
> > next year because the opportunities are better and because there's still

> > Klan group outside of his town in PA. Black people can be annoying, but
> > they don't burn down your house for dating non-black guys.

> Nah, sometimes they just beat up the non-black guys. I've seen the
> results of threatened and actual violence against non-black guys for
> daring to date a "sister."

True. Which is bad enough. I always used to diffuse the sitch when I was
with my husband (no, it wasn't a divorce. I'm widowed). I pity the guy who
might try to beat up the boyfriend though, since he's professionally trained
in hand-to-hand combat and has told me that he has no qualms about breaking
someone's head. I've had th good fortune of never having lived in
neighborhoods where anyone would ever do such a thing, and my family has
never behaved that way. And I'm sorry you ever had to see such a thing.

The husband and I made a point of not wandering through Harlem and such, as
it would have been bad for our mutual health. But is that a bit different
than Klansmen showingup at the door? Intensity-wise, yes. Intent-wise, it's
the same.

> > The idea of
> > moving to an area where there are no other educated black people, where

all
> > the gays have low-paying jobs and are seen as pariahs, and where the

John
> > Birch Society is still big doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
> >
> > Have your aunt and uncle looked at Columbia, Maryland? They have

delightful
> > houses there and it's a planned community- it was founded to be

ethnically
> > diverse. Miami can be good, although the old people there are still

living
> > in the past. And anywhere near NYC you can find places where you don't

have
> > to shovel snow. There 's also the US Virgin Islands- money goes further

and
> > they can live in peace. My mother is living in Owings Mills, Maryland,

but
> > she finds it a bit dull after having lived in NYC.

> Well, the Virgin Islands actually causes more problems. They want to
> retire near family, not away from it. But the DC area is too pricey.
> They want to live as well as they are living now, but they won't be
> able to pull it off on their retirement income.

See, that's the problem. DC is ridiculous. My mom is managing, thank
goodness, but she also keeps a place in Florida, which she likes. She's not
far from Lauderhill.

> Unfortunately, all the towns they find geographically, educationally,
> and architecturally appealing are just south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Understood. They'd have to worry about all kinds of lovely ignorant people.
Although the BF is technically above the Mason-Dixon, withing driving
distance of Harrisburg, and it's not pleasant there either. Nor would it be
pleasant in Howard Beach, here in the city, or Bed-Stuy. Oddly enough,
certain parts of Central Harlem would be fine- lots of multiracial artists
and professionals, and housing is still reasonable.
Unfortunately, the world is still changing. The BF and I were talking about
possible futures- where would we retire? Certain sections of Upstate NY are
fine, but one has to be careful there also. But the corridor up the Hudson
sems to be ok, and things will have changed by then.

> --
> Derek
>
> "The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shorline of
> wonder." -- Ralph W. Sockman

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> [...]

Understood. They'd have to worry about all kinds of lovely ignorant people.
Although the BF is technically above the Mason-Dixon, withing driving
distance of Harrisburg, and it's not pleasant there either. Nor would it be
pleasant in Howard Beach, here in the city, or Bed-Stuy. Oddly enough,
certain parts of Central Harlem would be fine- lots of multiracial artists
and professionals, and housing is still reasonable.
Unfortunately, the world is still changing. The BF and I were talking about
possible futures- where would we retire? Certain sections of Upstate NY are
fine, but one has to be careful there also. But the corridor up the Hudson
sems to be ok, and things will have changed by then.

> --
> Derek
>
> "The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shorline of

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:37:00 GMT, Tea wrote:
>
> > Never having given two figs what some anomalous black community thinks

(and
> > at least one Supreme Court Justice and a former head of the Joint Chiefs

of
> > Staff seem to agree with me, to no ill effects), I've never concerned

myself
> > with that.

> Don't forget about the Secretary General of the U.N.

Yup. In certain circles if people don't like it, they've learned to keep
their thoughts to themselves.

> --
> Derek
>
> The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to
> assume you're pretentious.

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:37:00 GMT, Tea wrote:
>
> > Never having given two figs what some anomalous black community thinks

(and
> > at least one Supreme Court Justice and a former head of the Joint Chiefs

of
> > Staff seem to agree with me, to no ill effects), I've never concerned

myself
> > with that.

> Don't forget about the Secretary General of the U.N.

Yup. In certain circles if people don't like it, they've learned to keep
their thoughts to themselves.

> --
> Derek
>
> The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to
> assume you're pretentious.

Derek

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:55:31 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:37:00 GMT, Tea wrote:
>>
>>> Never having given two figs what some anomalous black community thinks

> (and
>>> at least one Supreme Court Justice and a former head of the Joint Chiefs

> of
>>> Staff seem to agree with me, to no ill effects), I've never concerned

> myself
>>> with that.

>> Don't forget about the Secretary General of the U.N.

> Yup. In certain circles if people don't like it, they've learned to keep
> their thoughts to themselves.

And sometimes, they don't. I know of people who have sent letters of
protest to the American Swedish Institute because Mrs. Annan was going
to be speaking there.

The same people sent letters of protest because a well known Swedish
couple adopted an African child.

Twits abound. And, unfortunately, they have an unnerving ability to
get their grubby mitts on the microphone.

--
Derek

Luck can't last a lifetime unless you die young.
Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:55:31 GMT, Tea wrote:

> > (and

Chiefs
> > of

> > myself
> >>
> >> Don't forget about the Secretary General of the U.N.

> > Yup. In certain circles if people don't like it, they've learned to keep
> > their thoughts to themselves.

> And sometimes, they don't. I know of people who have sent letters of
> protest to the American Swedish Institute because Mrs. Annan was going
> to be speaking there.
>
> The same people sent letters of protest because a well known Swedish
> couple adopted an African child.
>
> Twits abound. And, unfortunately, they have an unnerving ability to
> get their grubby mitts on the microphone.

Better a microphone than a rock, although I'd rather they not touch either
one.

Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:55:31 GMT, Tea wrote:

> > (and

Chiefs
> > of

> > myself
> >>
> >> Don't forget about the Secretary General of the U.N.

> > Yup. In certain circles if people don't like it, they've learned to keep
> > their thoughts to themselves.

> And sometimes, they don't. I know of people who have sent letters of
> protest to the American Swedish Institute because Mrs. Annan was going
> to be speaking there.
>
> The same people sent letters of protest because a well known Swedish
> couple adopted an African child.
>
> Twits abound. And, unfortunately, they have an unnerving ability to
> get their grubby mitts on the microphone.

Better a microphone than a rock, although I'd rather they not touch either
one.

Derek

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:37:26 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>> (and

> Chiefs
>>> of
>>> myself

>>> Yup. In certain circles if people don't like it, they've learned to keep
>>> their thoughts to themselves.

>> And sometimes, they don't. I know of people who have sent letters of
>> protest to the American Swedish Institute because Mrs. Annan was going
>> to be speaking there.
>>
>> The same people sent letters of protest because a well known Swedish
>> couple adopted an African child.
>>
>> Twits abound. And, unfortunately, they have an unnerving ability to
>> get their grubby mitts on the microphone.

> Better a microphone than a rock, although I'd rather they not touch either
> one.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want them touching my microphone...

... on the off chance that stupidity is contagious.

But enough about twits. Let's talk about tea!

--
Derek

Scintillate, scintillate globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific
Loftily perched in the ether capacious
Strongly resembling a gem carbonaceous.

Derek

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:37:26 GMT, Tea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...

>>> (and

> Chiefs
>>> of
>>> myself

>>> Yup. In certain circles if people don't like it, they've learned to keep
>>> their thoughts to themselves.

>> And sometimes, they don't. I know of people who have sent letters of
>> protest to the American Swedish Institute because Mrs. Annan was going
>> to be speaking there.
>>
>> The same people sent letters of protest because a well known Swedish
>> couple adopted an African child.
>>
>> Twits abound. And, unfortunately, they have an unnerving ability to
>> get their grubby mitts on the microphone.

> Better a microphone than a rock, although I'd rather they not touch either
> one.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want them touching my microphone...

... on the off chance that stupidity is contagious.

But enough about twits. Let's talk about tea!

--
Derek

Scintillate, scintillate globule vivific
Fain would I fathom thy nature specific
Loftily perched in the ether capacious
Strongly resembling a gem carbonaceous.
Tea

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
. com...
> I agree on all points. You seem like a reasonable person with whom one can
> talk about these matters without filtering each and every word.
> Next time you are in Reno, gimme a buzz. We will love to have you for

dinner
> and tea at our casa.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sasha.

The US is by no means perfect- after all, there are parts of the city I
wouldn't traverse with my boyfriend on my arm, for fear of something bad
happening. However, there is a great deal more tolerence in this country
than there used to be. There's now a much higher probability that someone
will go to jail for committing a hate crime- when I was a child, I was
simply taught that I had to be very careful, and that the police would
probably not help me.

And feel free to stop by NYC sometime and have tea here- I have a wonderful
view, and the tea here is good.

Tea