Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tea stain

One of my fave teas is good ol' Earl Grey. I've found only one brand
I did not like, but this outta many EGs. Basically, I wanna know if
EG and other black teas use a dye. Not only is my white tea cup
stained after a cuppa EG, but my stainless steel tea spoon is also
stained! I've yet to run across anything that would stain stainless
steel. Only Earl Grey tea.

Is this true of other black teas?

nb

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 24/03/2015 03:02 pm, notbob wrote:
> One of my fave teas is good ol' Earl Grey. I've found only one brand
> I did not like, but this outta many EGs. Basically, I wanna know if
> EG and other black teas use a dye. Not only is my white tea cup
> stained after a cuppa EG, but my stainless steel tea spoon is also
> stained! I've yet to run across anything that would stain stainless
> steel. Only Earl Grey tea.
>
> Is this true of other black teas?
>
> nb

Yes, all black teas stain, but it's not a dye, it's the tannin in the
tea, English Breakfast certainly does...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenolic_content_in_tea
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 25/03/2015 09:20 pm, Jon wrote:
> On 24/03/2015 03:02 pm, notbob wrote:
>> One of my fave teas is good ol' Earl Grey. I've found only one brand
>> I did not like, but this outta many EGs. Basically, I wanna know if
>> EG and other black teas use a dye. Not only is my white tea cup
>> stained after a cuppa EG, but my stainless steel tea spoon is also
>> stained! I've yet to run across anything that would stain stainless
>> steel. Only Earl Grey tea.
>>
>> Is this true of other black teas?
>>
>> nb
>>

> Yes, all black teas stain, but it's not a dye, it's the tannin in the
> tea, English Breakfast certainly does...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenolic_content_in_tea

Usually leaving your Cup/Spoons etc to soak in a weak bleach/water
solution will get them sparkling clean again...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2015-03-27, Jon > wrote:
> On 25/03/2015 09:20 pm, Jon wrote:

>> Yes, all black teas stain, but it's not a dye, it's the tannin in the
>> tea, English Breakfast certainly does...

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenolic_content_in_tea

> Usually leaving your Cup/Spoons etc to soak in a weak bleach/water
> solution will get them sparkling clean again...

Thanks for the replies and info.

nb
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

notbob > wrote:
>One of my fave teas is good ol' Earl Grey. I've found only one brand
>I did not like, but this outta many EGs. Basically, I wanna know if
>EG and other black teas use a dye. Not only is my white tea cup
>stained after a cuppa EG, but my stainless steel tea spoon is also
>stained! I've yet to run across anything that would stain stainless
>steel. Only Earl Grey tea.
>
>Is this true of other black teas?

Black teas have a large amount of tannin in them.... how much depends a
lot on how the tea is processed. This _is_ a dye, but it's a natural
dye that comes from the tea plant.

However, it shouldn't stain a stainless-steel spoon, not if you are
washing it regularly. It will stain teacups if you don't wash them.

Try a CTC tea, it should stain even more than Earl Grey.
--scott

I will say that there ARE some Chinese greens that have artificial coloring
added to them, but that's a whole different problem of a different color.

>nb

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 28/03/2015 11:54 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> notbob > wrote:
>> One of my fave teas is good ol' Earl Grey. I've found only one brand
>> I did not like, but this outta many EGs. Basically, I wanna know if
>> EG and other black teas use a dye. Not only is my white tea cup
>> stained after a cuppa EG, but my stainless steel tea spoon is also
>> stained! I've yet to run across anything that would stain stainless
>> steel. Only Earl Grey tea.
>>
>> Is this true of other black teas?

> Black teas have a large amount of tannin in them.... how much depends a
> lot on how the tea is processed. This _is_ a dye, but it's a natural
> dye that comes from the tea plant.
>
> However, it shouldn't stain a stainless-steel spoon, not if you are
> washing it regularly. It will stain teacups if you don't wash them.

Inncorrect, I drink Black Tea blends such as English Breakfast and Earl
Grey, and they even stain my stainless steel teapot, spoons and cups.

Just leave them to soak for a couple of hours in a bowl of warm water
with a small amount of bleach added which is much more effective
removing tannin staining than washing-up liquid or dish soap.

How remove black tea stain notbob Tea 6 27-08-2015 03:44 PM
coriander stain in carpet elaich General Cooking 15 02-07-2009 01:30 PM
Tea Stain Tip Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 31 01-06-2008 02:12 PM
Need to clean a stain from a Butchers Block Kswck General Cooking 4 02-06-2005 11:21 PM
hollandaise stain :( JLove98905 General Cooking 20 14-04-2004 07:06 AM