Cindy Wahl

Default Automatic Tea Brewing Machines

Is anyone aware of an automatic tea brewing machine on the market
today other than the TeaMate? The TeaMate has been discontinued.
Thank you!
magnulus

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> "Automatic tea brewing"????

Sounds interesting... especially because it would make re-steeping easier.
Just put more water in.

I have made some teas before in an old drip coffeemaker... and it will
work but it makes a very strong cup of tea. I wouldn't dream of using it
for good tea. The water in some coffeemakers is just too hot for many teas.

> What a terrible idea. As far as I can tell the only reason automatic
> coffee machines exist is because of one particular type of coffee
> *brewing method*, namely espressos.

They had automatic coffee makers for years. You Brits (I assume you are
a Brit, as you say "cheers") are mostly used to either instant coffee or
espresso, but here in America we've had them all. The first were automatic
vacuum brewers (for the more discerning), automatic percolators (for the
average person... it makes strong but bitter coffee)... and later the
automatic drip machine, which is what most folks now days use for coffee
here in the US (and I believe they also use them in much of northern Europe,
too- the drip method actually came from France).

It's my understanding that the vacuum method was used at some time to brew
tea as well as coffee, from what little research I've done on vacuum pots.

People in the US are so sold on teabags that it would be an uphill
struggle, though.

Lars Mehlum

On 28 Sep 2004 06:12:22 -0700, Cindy Wahl > wrote:

> Is anyone aware of an automatic tea brewing machine on the market
> today other than the TeaMate? The TeaMate has been discontinued.
> Thank you!

Tefal (T-fal in the US) makes a tea brewing machine called "Magic Tea". I
believe it is only available in Germany and France.

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...D1KQJBNTALRLQH

--
Lars Mehlum
Bergen, Norway)
Joel Reicher

"magnulus" > writes:

> > What a terrible idea. As far as I can tell the only reason automatic
> > coffee machines exist is because of one particular type of coffee
> > *brewing method*, namely espressos.

> They had automatic coffee makers for years. You Brits (I assume you are
> a Brit, as you say "cheers")

Sorry, wrong assumption. *grin*

> are mostly used to either instant coffee or
> espresso, but here in America we've had them all. The first were automatic
> vacuum brewers (for the more discerning), automatic percolators (for
> the

An automatic vacuum brewer would be interesting to look at. Got any
references? I use the normal manual kind for my coffee, and again I
can't imagine what automation could add.

Is an automatic percolator really automatic? Are you talking about the
electric things that keep recycling the water? Those are just like
leaving a french press on a very low flame (if you could put presses
on flames, of course...).

> average person... it makes strong but bitter coffee)... and later the
> automatic drip machine, which is what most folks now days use for coffee
> here in the US (and I believe they also use them in much of northern Europe,
> too- the drip method actually came from France).

And again I can't see what automation adds. What's a `non-automatic'
drip machine?

> It's my understanding that the vacuum method was used at some time to brew
> tea as well as coffee, from what little research I've done on vacuum
> pots.

This I could believe, but I imagine the water temperature is too high
for most teas.

Cheers,

- Joel

Joel Reicher

"magnulus" > writes:

> > What a terrible idea. As far as I can tell the only reason automatic
> > coffee machines exist is because of one particular type of coffee
> > *brewing method*, namely espressos.

> They had automatic coffee makers for years. You Brits (I assume you are
> a Brit, as you say "cheers")

Sorry, wrong assumption. *grin*

> are mostly used to either instant coffee or
> espresso, but here in America we've had them all. The first were automatic
> vacuum brewers (for the more discerning), automatic percolators (for
> the

An automatic vacuum brewer would be interesting to look at. Got any
references? I use the normal manual kind for my coffee, and again I
can't imagine what automation could add.

Is an automatic percolator really automatic? Are you talking about the
electric things that keep recycling the water? Those are just like
leaving a french press on a very low flame (if you could put presses
on flames, of course...).

> average person... it makes strong but bitter coffee)... and later the
> automatic drip machine, which is what most folks now days use for coffee
> here in the US (and I believe they also use them in much of northern Europe,
> too- the drip method actually came from France).

And again I can't see what automation adds. What's a `non-automatic'
drip machine?

> It's my understanding that the vacuum method was used at some time to brew
> tea as well as coffee, from what little research I've done on vacuum
> pots.

This I could believe, but I imagine the water temperature is too high
for most teas.

Cheers,

- Joel
magnulus

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> "magnulus" > writes:
> An automatic vacuum brewer would be interesting to look at. Got any
> references? I use the normal manual kind for my coffee, and again I
> can't imagine what automation could add.

http://www.coffeeandkitchen.com/bodu...ee-makers.html

They've had electric vacuum brewers since the late 20's and 30's. Silex
and Sunbeam used to make them. The last one to be made for the American
market was in the 1970's.

Most reviews of the Santos say it doesn't brew a very strong cup of
coffee compared to other methods, particular "manual" vacuum brewing.
Others are quite happy with it. The automation means you don't have to
stand around and pull the syphon off the heat when it's done brewing, the
machine does this for you. Unfortuntely, you are stuck with a 30 second
brewing, which is a bit short for a vacuum pot unless you grind fine (and
doing this will result in coffee in the bottom of the cup). One solution
might be to use a glass rod filter or cloth filter, which should be able to
fit.

> Is an automatic percolator really automatic? Are you talking about the
> electric things that keep recycling the water?

Yes, it just heats up the water and sends in up a tube and over the
coffee, then back down. It's not really like a French press because the
water boils and cools off repeatedly. Originally the idea was you brew
coffee with them very quickly (usually there's a glass window, and you brew
the coffee to the color you want)... but then people got cheap and used less
coffee and brewed longer- the result can be bitter coffee without much
aroma. Unlike other methods, the electric percolator really doesn't do much
"automaticly" that I'm aware of- which is why most folks used stovetop
percolators.

> And again I can't see what automation adds. What's a `non-automatic'
> drip machine?

A Melitta one-cup filter. Not really a machine. You put the filter over
a cup, put in the coffee, and pour water over the filter. Automation
reduces the possibility of burning oneself, and also allows a person to
finish getting dressed in the morning, or go get the paper, etc.

> This I could believe, but I imagine the water temperature is too high
> for most teas.

The water only goes up to about 190 F or so. That's actually a little
cooler than what black tea requires, although it might be too hot for green
tea. It's my experience that unless you pre-heat the water, it rarely gets
above 170 F. The water appears to boil on the surface, but that's actually
just pressurized air escaping.

I was looking for vacuum pot rods on Ebay and on the net (they are
filters with etched glass at the bottom that the water runs around), and I
came across a reference to the rods actually first being used for tea
brewing.

Joel Reicher

"magnulus" > writes:

> "Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> > "magnulus" > writes:
> > An automatic vacuum brewer would be interesting to look at. Got any
> > references? I use the normal manual kind for my coffee, and again I
> > can't imagine what automation could add.

> http://www.coffeeandkitchen.com/bodu...ee-makers.html
>
> They've had electric vacuum brewers since the late 20's and 30's.

As you say, I would call that an electric vacuum brewer rather than an
`automatic' one. Rather like not calling eletric kettles automatic.

> Unlike other methods, the electric percolator really doesn't do much
> "automaticly" that I'm aware of- which is why most folks used stovetop
> percolators.

That was my thought too. In fact, the stovetop pots have such a
different action that many people I know call them `whooshers'. To my
mind they work more like espresso machines, and `espresso pots' is
another name I've heard for them.

> The water only goes up to about 190 F or so. That's actually a little
> cooler than what black tea requires, although it might be too hot
> for green

Interesting. If I can get my brewer satisfactorily clean (coffee oils
are persistent), then I might try some blacks in it.

> tea. It's my experience that unless you pre-heat the water, it rarely gets
> above 170 F. The water appears to boil on the surface, but that's actually
> just pressurized air escaping.

Not if you wait long enough. As far as I've observed it, when brewing
begins there are three layers in the bottom chamber: water, air, and
water vapour. The water vapour is on top, being hot. Once the water
level has cleared the bottom of the pipe, the air is the next to go
up, being displaced by the water vapour as the remaining water in the
bottom chamber boils. Eventually, however, the air is exhausted and
water vapour begins travelling up the pipe. At this point the upper
chamber liquid rises to its maximum temperature.

If you wait this long (perhaps 1 minute), you also get a much more
effective vacuum in the bottom chamber.

Cheers,

- Joel
Joel Reicher

Joel Reicher > writes:

> Not if you wait long enough. As far as I've observed it, when brewing
> begins there are three layers in the bottom chamber: water, air, and
> water vapour. The water vapour is on top, being hot. Once the water
> level has cleared the bottom of the pipe, the air is the next to go
> up, being displaced by the water vapour as the remaining water in the
> bottom chamber boils. Eventually, however, the air is exhausted and
> water vapour begins travelling up the pipe. At this point the upper
> chamber liquid rises to its maximum temperature.

I should have added that these stages can be clearly observed in the
bubbling behaviour of the top chamber. It's air when the bubbling
begins, but that subsides. The water vapour is, at this point, hitting
the top chamber liquid and condensing, raising the temperature of that
chamber. When the temperature is sufficiently high, the vapour doesn't
condense anymore, and begins bubbling through, so you get a second
stage of bubbling.

Cheers,

- Joel
Joel Reicher

Joel Reicher > writes:

> Not if you wait long enough. As far as I've observed it, when brewing
> begins there are three layers in the bottom chamber: water, air, and
> water vapour. The water vapour is on top, being hot. Once the water
> level has cleared the bottom of the pipe, the air is the next to go
> up, being displaced by the water vapour as the remaining water in the
> bottom chamber boils. Eventually, however, the air is exhausted and
> water vapour begins travelling up the pipe. At this point the upper
> chamber liquid rises to its maximum temperature.

I should have added that these stages can be clearly observed in the
bubbling behaviour of the top chamber. It's air when the bubbling
begins, but that subsides. The water vapour is, at this point, hitting
the top chamber liquid and condensing, raising the temperature of that
chamber. When the temperature is sufficiently high, the vapour doesn't
condense anymore, and begins bubbling through, so you get a second
stage of bubbling.

Cheers,

- Joel

Richard Bornstein

I have something called Mrs. Tea. You put the leaves in the top, pour the
water into the teamaker with a filter and 5 minutes later, you have tea.
Even comes with it's own teapot

"Cindy Wahl" > wrote in message
om...
> Is anyone aware of an automatic tea brewing machine on the market
> today other than the TeaMate? The TeaMate has been discontinued.
> Thank you!

Richard Bornstein

I have something called Mrs. Tea. You put the leaves in the top, pour the
water into the teamaker with a filter and 5 minutes later, you have tea.
Even comes with it's own teapot

"Cindy Wahl" > wrote in message
om...
> Is anyone aware of an automatic tea brewing machine on the market
> today other than the TeaMate? The TeaMate has been discontinued.
> Thank you!

magnulus

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> That was my thought too. In fact, the stovetop pots have such a
> different action that many people I know call them `whooshers'. To my
> mind they work more like espresso machines, and `espresso pots' is
> another name I've heard for them.

Percolators are like vacuum pots, except the water runs back down to the
bottom.

Moka pots actually pressurize the bottom using steam, then it blasts water
through the grounds and stays in the top, producing something like espresso
(indeed, this is exactly how early espresso machines worked). Like a vacuum
pot, but with a bit more force.

magnulus

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> That was my thought too. In fact, the stovetop pots have such a
> different action that many people I know call them `whooshers'. To my
> mind they work more like espresso machines, and `espresso pots' is
> another name I've heard for them.

Percolators are like vacuum pots, except the water runs back down to the
bottom.

Moka pots actually pressurize the bottom using steam, then it blasts water
through the grounds and stays in the top, producing something like espresso
(indeed, this is exactly how early espresso machines worked). Like a vacuum
pot, but with a bit more force.

Joel Reicher

"magnulus" > writes:

> Percolators are like vacuum pots, except the water runs back down to the
> bottom.

The thing that makes them unlike vacuum pots is that the brewed drink,
once it has come down to the bottom, will get heated and probably
boiled again, which spoils many kinds of drink.

Cheers,

- Joel

Bluesea

"magnulus" > wrote in message

> "Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
>
> > Is an automatic percolator really automatic? Are you talking about the
> > electric things that keep recycling the water?

> Yes, it just heats up the water and sends in up a tube and over the
> coffee, then back down. It's not really like a French press because the
> water boils and cools off repeatedly. Originally the idea was you brew
> coffee with them very quickly (usually there's a glass window, and you

brew
> the coffee to the color you want)... but then people got cheap and used

less
> coffee and brewed longer- the result can be bitter coffee without much
> aroma. Unlike other methods, the electric percolator really doesn't do

much
> "automaticly" that I'm aware of- which is why most folks used stovetop
> percolators.

Jumping in here rather late, but...

My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it
finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the water
up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"magnulus" > wrote in message

> "Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
>
> > Is an automatic percolator really automatic? Are you talking about the
> > electric things that keep recycling the water?

> Yes, it just heats up the water and sends in up a tube and over the
> coffee, then back down. It's not really like a French press because the
> water boils and cools off repeatedly. Originally the idea was you brew
> coffee with them very quickly (usually there's a glass window, and you

brew
> the coffee to the color you want)... but then people got cheap and used

less
> coffee and brewed longer- the result can be bitter coffee without much
> aroma. Unlike other methods, the electric percolator really doesn't do

much
> "automaticly" that I'm aware of- which is why most folks used stovetop
> percolators.

Jumping in here rather late, but...

My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it
finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the water
up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Mike Thadman

"Richard Bornstein" > wrote in message >...
> I have something called Mrs. Tea. You put the leaves in the top, pour the
> water into the teamaker with a filter and 5 minutes later, you have tea.
> Even comes with it's own teapot
>

> "Cindy Wahl" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Is anyone aware of an automatic tea brewing machine on the market
> > today other than the TeaMate? The TeaMate has been discontinued.
> > Thank you!

there's a new product out there called tea spot. www.the-tea-spot.com.
Its a tea pot with a timer in the lid, that once you select the type
of tea you are brewing it will automatically lift the teas back into
the lid so it doesnt steep too long. Pretty nifty idea. don't know if
this counts as an automatic brewer.
Mike Thadman

"Richard Bornstein" > wrote in message >...
> I have something called Mrs. Tea. You put the leaves in the top, pour the
> water into the teamaker with a filter and 5 minutes later, you have tea.
> Even comes with it's own teapot
>

> "Cindy Wahl" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Is anyone aware of an automatic tea brewing machine on the market
> > today other than the TeaMate? The TeaMate has been discontinued.
> > Thank you!

there's a new product out there called tea spot. www.the-tea-spot.com.
Its a tea pot with a timer in the lid, that once you select the type
of tea you are brewing it will automatically lift the teas back into
the lid so it doesnt steep too long. Pretty nifty idea. don't know if
this counts as an automatic brewer.
Joel Reicher

"Bluesea" > writes:

> My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
> percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it
> finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the water
> up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

If it was bubbling the coffee at all, it was ruining it. Brewed coffee
should not be boiled, and in fact coffee grains shouldn't brew at
boiling point unless you're using an espresso machine, where the
contact is very brief.

If coffee is boiled, the resulting brew is extremely bitter, but I
know many people equate such bitterness with desirable `strength', and
mistakenly associate the bracing flavour with more caffeine.

Cheers,

- Joel

Joel Reicher

"Bluesea" > writes:

> My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
> percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it
> finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the water
> up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

If it was bubbling the coffee at all, it was ruining it. Brewed coffee
should not be boiled, and in fact coffee grains shouldn't brew at
boiling point unless you're using an espresso machine, where the
contact is very brief.

If coffee is boiled, the resulting brew is extremely bitter, but I
know many people equate such bitterness with desirable `strength', and
mistakenly associate the bracing flavour with more caffeine.

Cheers,

- Joel
Mike Petro

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:49:56 GMT, Joel Reicher >
cast caution to the wind and posted:

>"Bluesea" > writes:
>
>> My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
>> percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it
>> finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the water
>> up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

>If it was bubbling the coffee at all, it was ruining it. Brewed coffee
>should not be boiled, and in fact coffee grains shouldn't brew at
>boiling point unless you're using an espresso machine, where the
>contact is very brief.
>
>If coffee is boiled, the resulting brew is extremely bitter, but I
>know many people equate such bitterness with desirable `strength', and
>mistakenly associate the bracing flavour with more caffeine.
>
>Cheers,
>
> - Joel

According to Industry standards, extraction temperature should be 186
degrees F. That is where most commercial brewing systems are
calibrated, plus or minus a degree or 2.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Mike Petro

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:49:56 GMT, Joel Reicher >
cast caution to the wind and posted:

>"Bluesea" > writes:
>
>> My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
>> percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it
>> finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the water
>> up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

>If it was bubbling the coffee at all, it was ruining it. Brewed coffee
>should not be boiled, and in fact coffee grains shouldn't brew at
>boiling point unless you're using an espresso machine, where the
>contact is very brief.
>
>If coffee is boiled, the resulting brew is extremely bitter, but I
>know many people equate such bitterness with desirable `strength', and
>mistakenly associate the bracing flavour with more caffeine.
>
>Cheers,
>
> - Joel

According to Industry standards, extraction temperature should be 186
degrees F. That is where most commercial brewing systems are
calibrated, plus or minus a degree or 2.

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
remove the "filter" in my email address to reply
Steve Hay

Off the subject of tea slightly, but I've found the best coffee is made
with a french press. Just like with tea, the grounds/leaves have the
most surface area to volume ratio when allowed to roam free and then
filtered at the end.

Steve

Mike Petro wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:49:56 GMT, Joel Reicher >
> cast caution to the wind and posted:
>

>>"Bluesea" > writes:
>>

>>>My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
>>>percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it
>>>finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the water
>>>up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

>>If it was bubbling the coffee at all, it was ruining it. Brewed coffee
>>should not be boiled, and in fact coffee grains shouldn't brew at
>>boiling point unless you're using an espresso machine, where the
>>contact is very brief.
>>
>>If coffee is boiled, the resulting brew is extremely bitter, but I
>>know many people equate such bitterness with desirable `strength', and
>>mistakenly associate the bracing flavour with more caffeine.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>> - Joel

> According to Industry standards, extraction temperature should be 186
> degrees F. That is where most commercial brewing systems are
> calibrated, plus or minus a degree or 2.
>

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Steve Hay

Mike Petro wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:49:56 GMT, Joel Reicher >
> cast caution to the wind and posted:
>

>>"Bluesea" > writes:
>>

>>>My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
>>>percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it
>>>finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the water
>>>up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

>>If it was bubbling the coffee at all, it was ruining it. Brewed coffee
>>should not be boiled, and in fact coffee grains shouldn't brew at
>>boiling point unless you're using an espresso machine, where the
>>contact is very brief.
>>
>>If coffee is boiled, the resulting brew is extremely bitter, but I
>>know many people equate such bitterness with desirable `strength', and
>>mistakenly associate the bracing flavour with more caffeine.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>> - Joel

> According to Industry standards, extraction temperature should be 186
> degrees F. That is where most commercial brewing systems are
> calibrated, plus or minus a degree or 2.
>

> Mike Petro
> http://www.pu-erh.net
> remove the "filter" in my email address to reply

Bluesea

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> "Bluesea" > writes:
>
> > My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
> > percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and

when it
> > finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the

water
> > up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

> If it was bubbling the coffee at all, it was ruining it...

Sorry, if you were confused by my choice of words. I've always thought of
the water rising through the tube and hitting the lid as bubbling because of
the sound made. What I meant was that the coffee maker quit perking.

He

It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it finished
perking in accordance to what was set, it simply kept the coffee warm.

--
~~Bluesea~~who never acquired a taste for coffee in any form

Bluesea

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> "Bluesea" > writes:
>
> > My mother, a coffee-drinker, switched from stovetop to an automatic
> > percolator. It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and

when it
> > finished perking in accordance to what was set, it quit bubbling the

water
> > up through the tube and simply kept the coffee warm.

> If it was bubbling the coffee at all, it was ruining it...

Sorry, if you were confused by my choice of words. I've always thought of
the water rising through the tube and hitting the lid as bubbling because of
the sound made. What I meant was that the coffee maker quit perking.

He

It had a dial setting to select weak to strong brews and when it finished
perking in accordance to what was set, it simply kept the coffee warm.

--
~~Bluesea~~who never acquired a taste for coffee in any form

Joel Reicher

Steve Hay > writes:

> Off the subject of tea slightly, but I've found the best coffee is
> made with a french press. Just like with tea, the grounds/leaves have
> the most surface area to volume ratio when allowed to roam free and
> then filtered at the end.

I recommend you try vacuum brewing then. In effect it's just like a
press, but better. The temperature of the water is kept at its optimum
for coffee brewing while the grains and the water mix, just as in a
press, and filtering the grains out subsequently is simplicity itself,
but I won't say how it happens. That would be spoiling the fun.

Cheers,

- Joel
Joel Reicher

Steve Hay > writes:

> Off the subject of tea slightly, but I've found the best coffee is
> made with a french press. Just like with tea, the grounds/leaves have
> the most surface area to volume ratio when allowed to roam free and
> then filtered at the end.

I recommend you try vacuum brewing then. In effect it's just like a
press, but better. The temperature of the water is kept at its optimum
for coffee brewing while the grains and the water mix, just as in a
press, and filtering the grains out subsequently is simplicity itself,
but I won't say how it happens. That would be spoiling the fun.

Cheers,

- Joel
Joel Reicher

"Bluesea" > writes:

> Sorry, if you were confused by my choice of words. I've always thought of
> the water rising through the tube and hitting the lid as bubbling because of
> the sound made. What I meant was that the coffee maker quit perking.

As far as I know it *is* bubbling when it goes up the tube. An
expansion of some liquid into gas is the only thing that can send it
up.

Now I'm not sure what you see as the difference between going up the
tube and "perking", but this is getting too OT.

Cheers,

- Joel

Joel Reicher

"Bluesea" > writes:

> Sorry, if you were confused by my choice of words. I've always thought of
> the water rising through the tube and hitting the lid as bubbling because of
> the sound made. What I meant was that the coffee maker quit perking.

As far as I know it *is* bubbling when it goes up the tube. An
expansion of some liquid into gas is the only thing that can send it
up.

Now I'm not sure what you see as the difference between going up the
tube and "perking", but this is getting too OT.

Cheers,

- Joel
Bluesea

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> "Bluesea" > writes:
>
> > Sorry, if you were confused by my choice of words. I've always thought

of
> > the water rising through the tube and hitting the lid as bubbling

because of
> > the sound made. What I meant was that the coffee maker quit perking.

> As far as I know it *is* bubbling when it goes up the tube. An
> expansion of some liquid into gas is the only thing that can send it
> up.
>
> Now I'm not sure what you see as the difference between going up the
> tube and "perking", but this is getting too OT.

Difference? Well, "...bubbling up the tube" was wasteful blather that
prompted you to respond as you did and since I don't even like coffee, this
is OT for my life as well as this ng. I'm gonna quit while I can .

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Joel Reicher" > wrote in message
> "Bluesea" > writes:
>
> > Sorry, if you were confused by my choice of words. I've always thought

of
> > the water rising through the tube and hitting the lid as bubbling

because of
> > the sound made. What I meant was that the coffee maker quit perking.

> As far as I know it *is* bubbling when it goes up the tube. An
> expansion of some liquid into gas is the only thing that can send it
> up.
>
> Now I'm not sure what you see as the difference between going up the
> tube and "perking", but this is getting too OT.

Difference? Well, "...bubbling up the tube" was wasteful blather that
prompted you to respond as you did and since I don't even like coffee, this
is OT for my life as well as this ng. I'm gonna quit while I can .

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

Brewing Machines Bad Mercer Tea 9 09-12-2005 09:59 PM
Recommendations for automatic coffee machines ? Mark Carroll Coffee 2 26-11-2005 12:21 AM
Brewing Temperature Test, Braun KF-157B Automatic Drip Coffeemaker [email protected] Coffee 1 09-07-2005 12:12 PM
Presto Scandinavian-Design Automatic Drip Coffeemaker, Brewing [email protected] Coffee 0 06-07-2005 08:10 PM
Presto Scandinavian-Design Automatic Drip Coffeemaker, Brewing Temp [email protected] Coffee 1 05-07-2005 12:24 AM