green and white teas and blood thinners

Old 30-07-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default green and white teas and blood thinners

I've been on blood thinners for a loooong time. Recently, my anticoagu;ant
therapist told me to be sure to not drink green tea or white tea. Or at
least not a lot (what is a lot?). I guess it interferes with blood thinner
activities. Thought I would let others know. Haven't checked it out
online. But, I'm not drinking them now.

ladyredlight

Old 30-07-2007, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"ladyredlight" writes:

I've been on blood thinners for a loooong time. Recently, my anticoagu;ant
therapist told me to be sure to not drink green tea or white tea. Or at
least not a lot (what is a lot?). I guess it interferes with blood thinner
activities. Thought I would let others know. Haven't checked it out
online. But, I'm not drinking them now.

Apparently it's the vitamin K in tea leaves. But if you believe this,

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QA/QA142947/

green tea seems not to interfere much with anticoagulants unless you
eat the leaves.

/Lew: not a biochemist!
---
Lew Perin /
Old 30-07-2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN

i dont know what an anticoagulant therapist is,

but a medical doctor should be able to tell you from blood tests
if the anticoagulant dose is enough and working.

vitamin K is required for coagulation, so you need that for normal
function.

its possible that tea catechins or other chemicals
bind and prevent absorbtion of vitamin k and the anticoagulant.

Old 31-07-2007, 01:23 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

If you're getting a prescription from a doctor you can check with them
or the pharmacist. Normally you get information with the prescription
on contraindications. There are places on line that contain this
information about the med. If you belong to an HMO check with the
registered dietitian. You can go to the NIH site and check PubMed for
broader information which can be more misleading than anything else.
if anything tea might lower the efficacy of the med, so more med. If
I'm sick I'm drinking more tea not less.

Jim

Old 31-07-2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

ladyredlight wrote:
I've been on blood thinners for a loooong time. Recently, my anticoagu;ant
therapist told me to be sure to not drink green tea or white tea. Or at
least not a lot (what is a lot?). I guess it interferes with blood thinner
activities. Thought I would let others know. Haven't checked it out
online. But, I'm not drinking them now.

Which anticoagulant are you on?

I don't know what would be in green tea that _isn't_ in black tea that
would promote blood clotting. But maybe it's something that specifically
reacts with the particular blood thinner you are on.
--scott

Old 31-07-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 30, 10:14 am, "ladyredlight" wrote:
I've been on blood thinners for a loooong time. Recently, my anticoagu;ant
therapist told me to be sure to not drink green tea or white tea. Or at
least not a lot (what is a lot?). I guess it interferes with blood thinner
activities. Thought I would let others know. Haven't checked it out
online. But, I'm not drinking them now.

ladyredlight

Coumadin (warfarin) specifically will interact with green tea because
green tea, not any other, has higher levels of Vitamin K.
Shen

Old 31-07-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 30, 10:14 am, "ladyredlight" wrote:
I've been on blood thinners for a loooong time. Recently, my anticoagu;ant
therapist told me to be sure to not drink green tea or white tea. Or at
least not a lot (what is a lot?). I guess it interferes with blood thinner
activities. Thought I would let others know. Haven't checked it out
online. But, I'm not drinking them now.

ladyredlight

PS - very often, patients are asked to avoid green tea, aspirins
(etc), antibiotics etc when preparing for surgery because of clotting/
no clotting interactions.
And, unfortunately, Dr. Weil doesn't always get things right.
Shen

Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dr Weill have some great things to say sometimes

May be he forgot to mention some of the green tea side effects, or tea
in general.

Here is a comprehensive list of them.

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...e-effects.html

And if you are worried about medical interaction, here is another
article.

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...teraction.html

Generally it is advisable to avoid drinking tea 2 hours after taking
medication.

The reality is quite complex.

I am not a doctor, of course.

While vitamin K has been shown to interact with courmadin in one human
case, there is also studies that show that green tea has other blood
thinning effects.

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...ood-clots.html

Such contradictions arise in many other diseases (heart problems,
blood pressure), simply because tea contains so many different
compounds (caffeine etc), and they act differently to the same
disease.

I don't think it is something to be alarmed of, but definitely
something to be aware and mindful of.

Happy drinking.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Old 01-08-2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 1, 4:33 am, juliantai wrote:
[...]

Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

As a practitioner, and a tea-drinker, I'd say, "listen to your
doctor.". Although, the "jury's still out" collecting a body of work
tea interactions, compliance in regard to medication would be a
wise choice.
As far as Dr. Weil, I have enormous respect for him and consider him a
teacher. After all, he has helped in introducing Americans to a
broader, more integrative way of looking at well-being; however, he
tends to simplify information in an effort to make complementary
medicine and self-care more acceptable to an American audience.
Inadvertently, in a law-suit crazy society, with doctors' malpractice
insurance running sky-high, many physicians choose to be more cautious
and conservative when dealing with allopathic meds. This may not be a
bad thing since it seems to be a Western approach to go full-tilt with
a little advertising, i.e. green tea or soy etc. - the more the better
which may have scarey long-term prospects.
Do your research and don't hesitate to put your doctor "on the hot-
seat" and query him as to his/her sources and stats. You are, in fact,
his /her employer, and entitled to be assured that you are getting
enlightened care.
Shen