Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tea Blossoms Beeng Cha....pu erh? How do I care for this thing?

Hi, all,
A while ago, when I was even less knowlegable than I am now, I bought
a 8-9 inch topaz coloured tea bud beeng cha from YSLLC.
Now, I am drinking it. It is lovely. A golden soup with floral and
honey overtones. The tea crumbles easily and seems very delicate.
I am bewildered as how to care for it. It seems that dealing with it
as I would a pu-ehr may not be such a good idea because the colour
seems so fragile and I'm thinking it should be airtight and in the
dark. I am assuming it is a pu-erh.
Since then, I do label everything as it arrives and read up*; however,
there is really no tea flower beeng cha info on the web.
Has anyone had the stuff? Do you like it and why? Where did you find
yours and how do you keep it? Does it have a shelf life? (Short, I
would assume?)
Thanks in advance for any info you can kindly spare.
Shen
*Getting old means you never leave an idea before jotting it down!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2 Feb 2007 21:14:49 -0800, "Shen" > wrote:

>Hi, all,
>A while ago, when I was even less knowlegable than I am now, I bought
>a 8-9 inch topaz coloured tea bud beeng cha from YSLLC.
>Now, I am drinking it. It is lovely. A golden soup with floral and
>honey overtones. The tea crumbles easily and seems very delicate.
>I am bewildered as how to care for it. It seems that dealing with it
>as I would a pu-ehr may not be such a good idea because the colour
>seems so fragile and I'm thinking it should be airtight and in the
>dark. I am assuming it is a pu-erh.
>Since then, I do label everything as it arrives and read up*; however,
>there is really no tea flower beeng cha info on the web.
>Has anyone had the stuff? Do you like it and why? Where did you find
>yours and how do you keep it? Does it have a shelf life? (Short, I
>would assume?)
>Thanks in advance for any info you can kindly spare.
>Shen

There are two common forms of this. One is a cooked puerh cake with
tea flowers mixed in, the other is simply a bingcha made solely from
"Da Ye" (the tea variety used for puerh) Tree flowers. The flowers
will deteriorate with age so it is best to go ahead and use it up.
Storing it in a ziplock bag or other airtight container will help to
preserve the aromatics. It is commonly added with puerh, particularly
cooked puerh, rather drinking by itself.

___________
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 3, 9:18 am, Mike Petro > wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2007 21:14:49 -0800, "Shen" > wrote:
>

> >Hi, all,
> >A while ago, when I was even less knowlegable than I am now, I bought
> >a 8-9 inch topaz coloured tea bud beeng cha from YSLLC.
> >Now, I am drinking it. It is lovely. A golden soup with floral and
> >honey overtones. The tea crumbles easily and seems very delicate.
> >I am bewildered as how to care for it. It seems that dealing with it
> >as I would a pu-ehr may not be such a good idea because the colour
> >seems so fragile and I'm thinking it should be airtight and in the
> >dark. I am assuming it is a pu-erh.
> >Since then, I do label everything as it arrives and read up*; however,
> >there is really no tea flower beeng cha info on the web.
> >Has anyone had the stuff? Do you like it and why? Where did you find
> >yours and how do you keep it? Does it have a shelf life? (Short, I
> >would assume?)
> >Thanks in advance for any info you can kindly spare.
> >Shen

> There are two common forms of this. One is a cooked puerh cake with
> tea flowers mixed in, the other is "simply a bingcha made solely from
> "Da Ye" (the tea variety used for puerh) Tree flowers". The flowers
> will deteriorate with age so it is best to go ahead and use it up.
> Storing it in a ziplock bag or other airtight container will help to
> preserve the aromatics. It is commonly added with puerh, particularly
> cooked puerh, rather drinking by itself.
>
> ___________
> Mike Petrohttp://www.pu-erh.net- Hide quoted text -

I don't know, Mike. This stuff looks raw. I think it may be "a bingcha
made solely from Da Ya". I've stored it in the orginal bubblewrap,
then a ziplock, then an airtight tin. Do you know what this bingcha
would be called? I haven't seen any more of it anywhere. I am
presuming it would be seasonal, since it is flowers.
I will try adding it to a cooked pu-erh which sounds wonderful since
it has this gentle honey-like sweetness.
I am enjoying it; but, I was/am so curious about it.
Thanks again for all your wisdom.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

In Chinese it will simply be called something like "Tea Flower cake",
or chahua bing

You can find plenty of them on taobao.

Just flowers:
http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...47c1c827.jhtml

Cooked+flowers:
http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...bc539922.jhtml

Raw+flowers
http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...07e443e6.jhtml

So you've got it all covered.

I think I'll treat it like any floral tea -- drink it up now, if your
cake is pressed entirely with flowers.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

On Feb 4, 8:06 am, "Shen" > wrote:
> On Feb 3, 9:18 am, Mike Petro > wrote:
>

> > On 2 Feb 2007 21:14:49 -0800, "Shen" > wrote:

> > >Hi, all,
> > >A while ago, when I was even less knowlegable than I am now, I bought
> > >a 8-9 inch topaz coloured tea bud beeng cha from YSLLC.
> > >Now, I am drinking it. It is lovely. A golden soup with floral and
> > >honey overtones. The tea crumbles easily and seems very delicate.
> > >I am bewildered as how to care for it. It seems that dealing with it
> > >as I would a pu-ehr may not be such a good idea because the colour
> > >seems so fragile and I'm thinking it should be airtight and in the
> > >dark. I am assuming it is a pu-erh.
> > >Since then, I do label everything as it arrives and read up*; however,
> > >there is really no tea flower beeng cha info on the web.
> > >Has anyone had the stuff? Do you like it and why? Where did you find
> > >yours and how do you keep it? Does it have a shelf life? (Short, I
> > >would assume?)
> > >Thanks in advance for any info you can kindly spare.
> > >Shen

> > There are two common forms of this. One is a cooked puerh cake with
> > tea flowers mixed in, the other is "simply a bingcha made solely from
> > "Da Ye" (the tea variety used for puerh) Tree flowers". The flowers
> > will deteriorate with age so it is best to go ahead and use it up.
> > Storing it in a ziplock bag or other airtight container will help to
> > preserve the aromatics. It is commonly added with puerh, particularly
> > cooked puerh, rather drinking by itself.

> > ___________
> > Mike Petrohttp://www.pu-erh.net-Hide quoted text -

> I don't know, Mike. This stuff looks raw. I think it may be "a bingcha
> made solely from Da Ya". I've stored it in the orginal bubblewrap,
> then a ziplock, then an airtight tin. Do you know what this bingcha
> would be called? I haven't seen any more of it anywhere. I am
> presuming it would be seasonal, since it is flowers.
> I will try adding it to a cooked pu-erh which sounds wonderful since
> it has this gentle honey-like sweetness.
> I am enjoying it; but, I was/am so curious about it.
> Thanks again for all your wisdom.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default was Tea Blossoms Beeng Cha....pu erh? How do I care for this thing? Now: Any luck with taobao.com?

On Feb 3, 8:25 pm, "MarshalN" > wrote:
> In Chinese it will simply be called something like "Tea Flower cake",
> or chahua bing
>
> You can find plenty of them on taobao.
>
> Just flowers:http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...003862/item_de...
>
> Cooked+flowers:http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...003862/item_de...
>
> Raw+flowershttp://auction1.taobao.com/auction/50002766-50003861-50003862/item_de...
>
> So you've got it all covered.
>
> I think I'll treat it like any floral tea -- drink it up now, if your
> cake is pressed entirely with flowers.
>
> MarshalNhttp://www.xanga.com/MarshalN
>
> On Feb 4, 8:06 am, "Shen" > wrote:

> > > There are two common forms of this. One is a cooked puerh cake with
> > > tea flowers mixed in, the other is "simply a bingcha made solely from
> > > "Da Ye" (the tea variety used for puerh) Tree flowers". The flowers
> > > will deteriorate with age so it is best to go ahead and use it up.
> > > Storing it in a ziplock bag or other airtight container will help to
> > > preserve the aromatics. It is commonly added with puerh, particularly
> > > cooked puerh, rather drinking by itself.

> > > ___________
> > > Mike Petrohttp://www.pu-erh.net-Hidequoted text -

> > I don't know, Mike. This stuff looks raw. I think it may be "a bingcha
> > made solely from Da Ya". I've stored it in the orginal bubblewrap,
> > then a ziplock, then an airtight tin. Do you know what this bingcha
> > would be called? I haven't seen any more of it anywhere. I am
> > presuming it would be seasonal, since it is flowers.
> > I will try adding it to a cooked pu-erh which sounds wonderful since
> > it has this gentle honey-like sweetness.
> > I am enjoying it; but, I was/am so curious about it.
> > Thanks again for all your wisdom.
> > Shen- Hide quoted text -

I enjoyed looking at the site and became a little frustrated since
there seemed no real way for me to use it. Is there a
Taobao.com available to the US? I think at some point Jim may have
addressed this; but, I am now wondering if anyone inthe states has had
good luck at Taobao.com?
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

No, there's no real way for a non-Chinese to use Taobao in any
meaningful way other than for market research, I'm afraid.

The whole payment method and what not is fairly cumbersome, and while
some vendors might be willing to ship overseas, as a whole they're not
that interested in that because it involves a lot of hassle on their
part as well. You basically need to contact the seller personally and
ask if they will do it, and arrange payment somehow. It's all on
honour system then.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

On Feb 4, 4:29 pm, "Shen" > wrote:
> On Feb 3, 8:25 pm, "MarshalN" > wrote:
>

> > In Chinese it will simply be called something like "Tea Flower cake",
> > or chahua bing

> > You can find plenty of them on taobao.

> > Just flowers:http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...003862/item_de...

> > Cooked+flowers:http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...003862/item_de...

> > Raw+flowershttp://auction1.taobao.com/auction/50002766-50003861-50003862/item_de...

> > So you've got it all covered.

> > I think I'll treat it like any floral tea -- drink it up now, if your
> > cake is pressed entirely with flowers.

> > MarshalNhttp://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

> > > I don't know, Mike. This stuff looks raw. I think it may be "a bingcha
> > > made solely from Da Ya". I've stored it in the orginal bubblewrap,
> > > then a ziplock, then an airtight tin. Do you know what this bingcha
> > > would be called? I haven't seen any more of it anywhere. I am
> > > presuming it would be seasonal, since it is flowers.
> > > I will try adding it to a cooked pu-erh which sounds wonderful since
> > > it has this gentle honey-like sweetness.
> > > I am enjoying it; but, I was/am so curious about it.
> > > Thanks again for all your wisdom.
> > > Shen- Hide quoted text -

> I enjoyed looking at the site and became a little frustrated since
> there seemed no real way for me to use it. Is there a
> Taobao.com available to the US? I think at some point Jim may have
> addressed this; but, I am now wondering if anyone inthe states has had
> good luck at Taobao.com?
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 3 Feb 2007 20:25:38 -0800, "MarshalN" > wrote:

>Raw+flowers
>http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...07e443e6.jhtml

Hey MarshalN, I've never seen the raw version of this before. Is it
very common in China? It would seem to be somewhat of a waste since
the flowers wouldn't age well, yet the raw leaf theoretically should.
Is it primarily a "drink it now" thing

Shen, does your bing have tea leaves in it?I am curious by your honey
sweet description yet you also used the term "raw".

___________
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 4, 1:25 pm, Mike Petro > wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2007 20:25:38 -0800, "MarshalN" > wrote:
>
> >Raw+flowers
> >http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...003862/item_de...

> Hey MarshalN, I've never seen the raw version of this before. Is it
> very common in China? It would seem to be somewhat of a waste since
> the flowers wouldn't age well, yet the raw leaf theoretically should.
> Is it primarily a "drink it now" thing
>
> Shen, does your bing have tea leaves in it?I am curious by your honey
> sweet description yet you also used the term "raw".
>
> ___________
> Mike Petrohttp://www.pu-erh.net

Definitely flowers - the whole flower:stamens, stipples, petals etc.,
al ot of pollen, as well. Maybe a leaf or two here or there; but, it
seems, not by design. In using "raw", I really meant "not cooked".
There is a tiny bit of a label with 3 vertical Chinese characters. The
label is 1 3/4 inches by 2 inches and handwritten.
My husband is out with the camera, when he returns, I'll try to send
photos.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 4, 1:25 pm, Mike Petro > wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2007 20:25:38 -0800, "MarshalN" > wrote:
>
> >Raw+flowers
> >http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/5...003862/item_de...

> Hey MarshalN, I've never seen the raw version of this before. Is it
> very common in China? It would seem to be somewhat of a waste since
> the flowers wouldn't age well, yet the raw leaf theoretically should.
> Is it primarily a "drink it now" thing
>
> Shen, does your bing have tea leaves in it?I am curious by your honey
> sweet description yet you also used the term "raw".
>
> ___________
> Mike Petrohttp://www.pu-erh.net

This is from Tao of Tea - I just found it and it lookly identical to
mine - mine is very slightly deeper in colour.
http://www.taooftea.com/detail2371-2..._Bing_Cha.html

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default 101Tea (was: Tea Blossoms Beeng Cha....)

"Shen" > writes:

> [...]
> This is from Tao of Tea - I just found it and it lookly identical to
> mine - mine is very slightly deeper in colour.
> http://www.taooftea.com/detail2371-2..._Bing_Cha.html

Ah, Jingmai Shan, USDA Organic label; that would be from 101Tea short
of major coincidence. That company, to my memory, hasn't been
discussed here, but maybe it should be. I understand it's
controversial. I do know that the couple of Pu'ers from them I've
tasted have been unusual, with a kind of burnt-sugar quality to them
that I can't remember in any other Pu'er.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recent addition: Rui Rong Hao

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>This is from Tao of Tea - I just found it and it lookly identical to
>mine - mine is very slightly deeper in colour.
>http://www.taooftea.com/detail2371-2..._Bing_Cha.html

Yep, it is the all flower bing. Drink it up, don't age it. Keep it in
an airtight container to preserve the aromatics. Try mixing some with
some cooked puerh, about 1/3 flowers to 2/3 puerh.

___________
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 5, 3:00 am, Mike Petro > wrote:
> >This is from Tao of Tea - I just found it and it lookly identical to
> >mine - mine is very slightly deeper in colour.
> >http://www.taooftea.com/detail2371-2..._Bing_Cha.html

> Yep, it is the all flower bing. Drink it up, don't age it. Keep it in
> an airtight container to preserve the aromatics. Try mixing some with
> some cooked puerh, about 1/3 flowers to 2/3 puerh.

> Mike Petrohttp://www.pu-erh.net

Tried that brew last night with a bit of cooked from ITC. It was
yummy!
It may be unorthodox, but I love it "straight", as well
Thanks again for pu-erh wisdom, Mike.
Shen