More mislabelled lotus tea

Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default More mislabelled lotus tea

Okay, I have a package of lotus tea. It's marked in big letters
on the front "DAN TRA HOA SEN" which does mean Hoa Sen brand
lotus tea, and it has a picture of a lotus on the front.

It also has some analytical info on the bottom that I cannot
read:
Chi tieu chat luong TCNV 1455-93
Ham luong chat tan = 34%
Ham luong tanin = 20%
Do am = 7.5%

According to the package, it's sold by www.hoasentea.com in tran phu.

BUT, the interesting part comes with the English ingredients again:

INGREDIENTS: Green tea, Jasmine Flavor, Gandy, Natural again,
Natural Herb flavor.

Does anyone have any explanation for all of these different lotus teas
being sold as "Jasmine" in the US?
--scott
Old 02-01-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Does anyone have any explanation for all of these different lotus teas
being sold as "Jasmine" in the US?
--scott

To be frank, as I always am, whoever packaged the stuff more than
likely assumed that the foreigners wouldn't know any difference. I
remember when I was in one Chinatown or another, it was sort of that
type of story all over the place. It is one reason as to why I am wary
of buying stuff abroad.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Vietnamese tea from my experience can be marked almost anything. I have yet
to taste one that would be worth detailed investigation.
I like very much Chinese Lotus tea with actual lotus flowers but couple of
Vietnamese ones I bought were to perfumy for me.

Sasha.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Alex Chaihorsky" writes:

Vietnamese tea from my experience can be marked almost anything. I have yet
to taste one that would be worth detailed investigation.
I like very much Chinese Lotus tea with actual lotus flowers but couple of
Vietnamese ones I bought were to perfumy for me.

Che Xanh and Thai Nguyen are green teas that can be very good. I also
once had a very good black/red tea that I think is called Stone Mountain.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Old 02-01-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin writes:

"Alex Chaihorsky" writes:

Vietnamese tea from my experience can be marked almost anything. I
have yet to taste one that would be worth detailed investigation.
I like very much Chinese Lotus tea with actual lotus flowers but
couple of Vietnamese ones I bought were to perfumy for me.

Che Xanh and Thai Nguyen are green teas that can be very good. I also
once had a very good black/red tea that I think is called Stone Mountain.

Whoops! I found my notes for that black/red tea. I liked it a lot
when I drank it a couple of years ago, but it's called Marble Mountain.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Lotus Stems Curry [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-02-2006 05:10 PM
Foo Young = Lotus Tippi Asian Cooking 10 19-09-2005 12:37 AM
the incredible edible lotus 2 Orchidguy Asian Cooking 0 27-07-2004 03:32 PM
Chinese lotus leaf wraps Alison General Cooking 22 28-03-2004 07:10 AM