FoodBanter.com

FoodBanter.com (http://www.foodbanter.com/)
-   Sushi (http://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/)
-   -   ankimo (http://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/79427-ankimo.html)

Blair P. Houghton 20-01-2006 07:27 AM

ankimo
 
Finally got to try ankimo.

In this case, it was prepared as a pate', and served sliced, as a
nigiri.

Not much flavor, really. Probably needed some more stuff in the pate'.
Salt, for instance. Soy sauce wasn't quite right for it. They gave
me a different sauce in a dish, but since I'd also got aji, and there
was no ponzu on it, I thought maybe it was for that...

And as a nigiri it was a little odd; this thick, wide slice of
charcuterie broken over a rice ball. Should probably have been chunked
and served as a gunkan-maki with a very light, white wine.

--Blair


Eli Renfro 20-01-2006 02:44 PM

ankimo
 
Not much flavor, really.

This is odd for ankimo.



Dan Logcher 20-01-2006 03:53 PM

ankimo
 
Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Finally got to try ankimo.

In this case, it was prepared as a pate', and served sliced, as a
nigiri.

Not much flavor, really. Probably needed some more stuff in the pate'.
Salt, for instance. Soy sauce wasn't quite right for it. They gave
me a different sauce in a dish, but since I'd also got aji, and there
was no ponzu on it, I thought maybe it was for that...

And as a nigiri it was a little odd; this thick, wide slice of
charcuterie broken over a rice ball. Should probably have been chunked
and served as a gunkan-maki with a very light, white wine.


It could be early in the season, a less flavorful one perhaps. Or it wasn't
steamed with enough sake. I've made it at home twice, and the first time I
didn't use enough sake and it was less flavorful.

We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced scallions
on top. Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over shredded diakon
in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf. I had this on Monday,
a nice freebie from the secondary sushi chef (the boss's day off:)

I have definately had ankimo with less to no flavor, it is usually at the early
beginning or late end of the season, or it has been frozen or poorly prepared.
Try it again, I bet it will taste differently.

--
Dan

George 21-01-2006 03:27 PM

ankimo
 
Dan Logcher wrote:
Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Finally got to try ankimo.

In this case, it was prepared as a pate', and served sliced, as a
nigiri.

Not much flavor, really. Probably needed some more stuff in the pate'.
Salt, for instance. Soy sauce wasn't quite right for it. They gave
me a different sauce in a dish, but since I'd also got aji, and there
was no ponzu on it, I thought maybe it was for that...

And as a nigiri it was a little odd; this thick, wide slice of
charcuterie broken over a rice ball. Should probably have been chunked
and served as a gunkan-maki with a very light, white wine.



It could be early in the season, a less flavorful one perhaps. Or it
wasn't
steamed with enough sake. I've made it at home twice, and the first time I
didn't use enough sake and it was less flavorful.

We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced
scallions
on top.


Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over
shredded diakon
in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf.

Only had it once at the itamae's suggestion after ordering some uni - it
was served exactly as you described above. Three slices about the size
of a 50 cent piece cut 1/2" thick.

I had this on
Monday,
a nice freebie from the secondary sushi chef (the boss's day off:)

I have definately had ankimo with less to no flavor, it is usually at
the early
beginning or late end of the season, or it has been frozen or poorly
prepared.
Try it again, I bet it will taste differently.



--
- George
"... are you going to finish that?"

Dan Logcher 21-01-2006 04:50 PM

ankimo
 
George wrote:

Dan Logcher wrote:

We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced
scallions on top.

Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over shredded diakon
in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf.


Only had it once at the itamae's suggestion after ordering some uni - it
was served exactly as you described above. Three slices about the size
of a 50 cent piece cut 1/2" thick.


Only 3 slices? I hope it was a freebie. When I've had ankimo as an appetizer,
its about 5-6 sliced for about $6. The other day it was free for me, as the
secondary itamae know how much I love ankimo. When we have it as sushi, its about
1 1/2 slices per gunkan for $3.50.

--
Dan

George 23-01-2006 04:26 PM

ankimo
 
Dan Logcher wrote:
George wrote:

Dan Logcher wrote:

We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced
scallions on top.
Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over shredded diakon
in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf.



Only had it once at the itamae's suggestion after ordering some uni -
it was served exactly as you described above. Three slices about the
size of a 50 cent piece cut 1/2" thick.



Only 3 slices? I hope it was a freebie. When I've had ankimo as an
appetizer,
its about 5-6 sliced for about $6. The other day it was free for me, as
the
secondary itamae know how much I love ankimo. When we have it as sushi,
its about
1 1/2 slices per gunkan for $3.50.

I really don't know what the price for a normal serving would have been
or even if we were charged for the portion we got, and since it was the
first time, we had nothing to compare its quality with. First time for
shiso, too - love to try new things. I only know that we were both sorry
to see it gone and savored each morsel as it disappeared.

I know when I go in, my wallet will be flatter coming out and if I'm not
satisfied, I probably won't go back. Hasn't happened yet.

--
- George
"... are you going to finish that?"


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
FoodBanter