Eating the Shrimp tails

Old 20-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Questions
Usenet poster

Default Eating the Shrimp tails

In all of the Sushi recipes I've read, the instructions say to leave
the tails on the shrimp.

Is it customary to eat the tails or not? I've tried both, and I really
would prefer to not eat them. They distract me from the flavor of the
shrimp.
Old 20-02-2005, 01:28 PM
James Silverton
Usenet poster

Questions wrote:
In all of the Sushi recipes I've read, the instructions say to leave
the tails on the shrimp.

Is it customary to eat the tails or not? I've tried both, and I
really
would prefer to not eat them. They distract me from the flavor of
the
shrimp.

I think shrimp nigiri look better with the tails on but I think
whether or not to eat them is a matter of personal taste. I've tried
the tails and I prefer not to eat them myself even if I really like
shrimp (cooked) nigiri. I've never worried if "experts" feel I am
being gauche (g).

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old 20-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

Questions wrote:
In all of the Sushi recipes I've read, the instructions say to leave
the tails on the shrimp.

Is it customary to eat the tails or not? I've tried both, and I really
would prefer to not eat them. They distract me from the flavor of the
shrimp.

If the tail has been fried I eat it. I love fried shrimp tails and heads.
Otherwise I leave it on a corner of the plate or geta.

--
Dan
Old 20-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Gerry
Usenet poster

In article , Questions
wrote:

Is it customary to eat the tails or not?

If we're talking ama-ebi or cooked shrimp for use in sushi, It it
customary? No.

Of course you can eat anything you like, including the napkin and
chopsticks. But it's not "customary".

--
"A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture" by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All the hints one might need for exploring Japanese food.

"The Sake Handbook" by John Gaunter (Tuttle, '02). An excellent intro and
reference to sake.
Old 20-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Questions
Usenet poster

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:52:45 -0800, Gerry
wrote:

In article , Questions
wrote:

Is it customary to eat the tails or not?

If we're talking ama-ebi or cooked shrimp for use in sushi, It it
customary? No.

Of course you can eat anything you like, including the napkin and
chopsticks. But it's not "customary".

Oh no! I thought I was supposed to eat the chopsticks! They're pretty
good if you put enough wasabi on them.

Old 20-02-2005, 09:53 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

"James Silverton" wrote:
Questions wrote:
In all of the Sushi recipes I've read, the instructions say to leave
the tails on the shrimp.

Is it customary to eat the tails or not? I've tried both, and I
really would prefer to not eat them. They distract me from the flavor
of the shrimp.

I think shrimp nigiri look better with the tails on but I think
whether or not to eat them is a matter of personal taste. I've tried
the tails and I prefer not to eat them myself even if I really like
shrimp (cooked) nigiri. I've never worried if "experts" feel I am
being gauche (g).

I find the tails really nice for holding the shrimp. If you have
diverticulitis, it's a good idea not to eat the tails.

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Old 22-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Musashi
Usenet poster

"Questions" wrote in message
In all of the Sushi recipes I've read, the instructions say to leave
the tails on the shrimp.

Is it customary to eat the tails or not? I've tried both, and I really
would prefer to not eat them. They distract me from the flavor of the
shrimp.

Nobody eats the shrimp tails that come on nigiri zushi whether the shrimp
is cooked or raw.
Shrimp tails, like the heads, are most edible when they have been exposed to
high heat. Probably the best shrimp tails to munch on if you like it, are
the tails
of shrimp tempura.

Old 22-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Musashi
Usenet poster

"Questions" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:52:45 -0800, Gerry
wrote:

In article , Questions
wrote:

Is it customary to eat the tails or not?

If we're talking ama-ebi or cooked shrimp for use in sushi, It it
customary? No.

Of course you can eat anything you like, including the napkin and

chopsticks. But it's not "customary".

Oh no! I thought I was supposed to eat the chopsticks! They're pretty
good if you put enough wasabi on them.

You may eat the chopsticks, but it is considered very rude to pretend to
play drums.
Even ruder is imitating a walrus.

Old 22-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Questions
Usenet poster

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:51:45 GMT, "Musashi"
wrote:

"Questions" wrote in message
.. .
In all of the Sushi recipes I've read, the instructions say to leave
the tails on the shrimp.

Is it customary to eat the tails or not? I've tried both, and I really
would prefer to not eat them. They distract me from the flavor of the
shrimp.

Nobody eats the shrimp tails that come on nigiri zushi whether the shrimp
is cooked or raw.

Oh sure, now you tell me. I already ate some.
(Chewy little devils)

Shrimp tails, like the heads, are most edible when they have been exposed to
high heat. Probably the best shrimp tails to munch on if you like it, are
the tails
of shrimp tempura.

Hey, I suck out the heads of crawfish when I eat them, Cajun style.
It's really good. It looks gross as hell however.

Do crawfish ever get used for sushi?

Old 22-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Questions
Usenet poster

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:53:17 GMT, "Musashi"
wrote:

Oh no! I thought I was supposed to eat the chopsticks! They're pretty
good if you put enough wasabi on them.

You may eat the chopsticks, but it is considered very rude to pretend to
play drums.
Even ruder is imitating a walrus.

I can't believe someone would do either...No, wait a sec, I've lived
in SanFran, where anything can happen. I saw a guy try to snort an
oyster there. It wasn't pretty. I gave up oysters for awhile...
Old 22-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

Questions wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:51:45 GMT, "Musashi"
wrote:

"Questions" wrote in message
. ..

In all of the Sushi recipes I've read, the instructions say to leave
the tails on the shrimp.

Is it customary to eat the tails or not? I've tried both, and I really
would prefer to not eat them. They distract me from the flavor of the
shrimp.

Nobody eats the shrimp tails that come on nigiri zushi whether the shrimp
is cooked or raw.

Oh sure, now you tell me. I already ate some.
(Chewy little devils)

Shrimp tails, like the heads, are most edible when they have been exposed to
high heat. Probably the best shrimp tails to munch on if you like it, are
the tails
of shrimp tempura.

Hey, I suck out the heads of crawfish when I eat them, Cajun style.
It's really good. It looks gross as hell however.

Do crawfish ever get used for sushi?

Apparently down South y`all. But I have never seen them used as sushi
up here in the Nahth.

--
Dan
Old 22-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Questions
Usenet poster

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:10:04 -0500, Dan Logcher
wrote:

Do crawfish ever get used for sushi?

Apparently down South y`all. But I have never seen them used as sushi
up here in the Nahth.

When I relax my enunciation, it's more like y'al, with a very soft
pronunciation of the "L".

Crawdad's are seriously good fare.

I've never done them raw however. If fresh, why not? Maybe freeze them
first like Salmon. Has anyone eaten them raw?
Old 22-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

wrote:

Do crawfish ever get used for sushi?

Apparently down South y`all. But I have never seen them used as sushi
up here in the Nahth.

When I relax my enunciation, it's more like y'al, with a very soft
pronunciation of the "L".

Crawdad's are seriously good fare.

Tell me about it! A few years back a neighbor up the street had a pig roast,
and one of he friends brought 25 pounds of steamers and 25 pounds of cajun
crawdads. Man, I gourged!

I've never done them raw however. If fresh, why not? Maybe freeze them
first like Salmon. Has anyone eaten them raw?

Nah, I wouldn't. They are a fresh water bug, and more prone to bad things.

--
Dan
Old 23-02-2005, 03:49 AM
parrotheada1a
Usenet poster

Unless you live around Louisiana, you're probably getting frozen bugs.
More likely than not, they're coming from China. The Chinese farm them
in rice paddies just like shrimp. I can get peeled & parcooked tailmeat
at Wally world for about $8.00 a bag, frozen & cryovaced. I wouldn't
make nigiri out of them at any rate, the tails are rather small.
Probably the best way to handle these things is either in a handroll or
a maki. I chop up a bunch of tails, so they are in good sized chunks.
Then I add some mayo, mirin & hots, pretty much the same as for spicy
tuna. This goes into the maki with a generous helping of green onion
shreds, or shredded pea pods.

Jim

Old 23-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Musashi
Usenet poster

wrote:

Oh no! I thought I was supposed to eat the chopsticks! They're pretty
good if you put enough wasabi on them.

You may eat the chopsticks, but it is considered very rude to pretend to
play drums.
Even ruder is imitating a walrus.

I can't believe someone would do either...No, wait a sec, I've lived
in SanFran, where anything can happen. I saw a guy try to snort an
oyster there. It wasn't pretty. I gave up oysters for awhile...

....eeeeewwwww

question about shrimp in sauce rmg General Cooking 3 23-12-2004 12:21 PM
GRILLED SHRIMP REMOULADE Hahabogus Diabetic 0 03-10-2004 03:25 PM
Barbecued Shrimp Brushed with Creole Butter Duckie Recipes 0 26-06-2004 01:25 PM
BLACK BEAN SHRIMP Duckie Recipes 0 09-05-2004 02:51 PM
Grilled Shrimp Skewers Duckie Recipes 0 12-04-2004 01:52 AM