How to make the Daikon threads

Old 10-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Albert Calame
Usenet poster

Default How to make the Daikon threads

Some years ago I watched at a sushi bar in Atlanta while the chef prepared
daikon by trimming it and putting it onto a kind of machine that when he
turned a crank it made a thin sheet of daikon that was quite long. Then, if
I remember correctly, he put it through the machine again and it came out in
threads. I think I remember something about this being mentioned a while
back, but I don't have the message to refer to.

I'd like to know what such a device is called, and where I might find one.
I like making sushi at home and have discovered that I really like to use
daikon with it. I'd like to get a machine to use myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Al Calame

Old 10-02-2005, 05:23 AM
Nona
Usenet poster

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:14:24 -0500, "Albert Calame"

http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/So...8+11080319 28
Old 10-02-2005, 05:37 AM
Nona
Usenet poster

wrote:

http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/So...8+11080319 28

This one is horizontal model and more $$

http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/So...2+110803823 1
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 AM
parrotheada1a
Usenet poster

If I were you Al, I'd save some cash and buy the Benriner mandoline.
Available from the same place.
http://www.quickspice.com/cgi-bin/So...2+11080852 10

I've had one for 3 years now and it really does the job. The smallest
comb blade is very nice for shredded daikon and will last a long time
if you take care of it. The bigger comb blades are good too, especially
for stir fry ingredients. Cleanup is VERY easy. the whole affair can
be put into the top rack of a dishwasher without worry.

The turning slicers are great if you are going for making big
quantities of veggies; Or if you want to do something like ribbon
fries.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:07 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

I know a guy that had a six (6) inch Daikon....... His girlfriend