Smoked Eel

Old 30-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Questions
Usenet poster

Default Smoked Eel

I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.

If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.
Old 30-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

Questions wrote:
I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.

If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

Try going to a local Asian market. I find cans of braised eel in all
of them. The brand I have now is Tong Ho Food Inc., and can be seen
on http://www.hoohing.com/news/Tong%20H...0Products.html. I have
the blue can that I got for $.99.

--
Dan
Old 30-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Questions
Usenet poster

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:47:36 -0500, Dan Logcher
wrote:

Questions wrote:
I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.

If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

Try going to a local Asian market. I find cans of braised eel in all
of them. The brand I have now is Tong Ho Food Inc., and can be seen
on http://www.hoohing.com/news/Tong%20H...0Products.html. I have
the blue can that I got for $.99.

Thank you Dan. I went to the site and they don't seem to offer
shipping to the USA.

I did find some roast Pike Eel that is reasonably priced from:
http://store.yahoo.com/2yoyo/cannedfood.html

I ordered 20 cans and including shipping, the entire cost was $45 US.

Yum! I can't wait!
Old 31-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

wrote:

Try going to a local Asian market. I find cans of braised eel in all
of them. The brand I have now is Tong Ho Food Inc., and can be seen
on http://www.hoohing.com/news/Tong%20H...0Products.html. I have
the blue can that I got for $.99.

Thank you Dan. I went to the site and they don't seem to offer
shipping to the USA.

I did find some roast Pike Eel that is reasonably priced from:
http://store.yahoo.com/2yoyo/cannedfood.html

I ordered 20 cans and including shipping, the entire cost was $45 US.

Yum! I can't wait!

I hope you like it, or you'll have 19 extra cans
Do you have a local Asian market? They may have some eel. I was just
at one on the way back from sledding with my son.. I saw a few different
brands.

--
Dan
Old 31-01-2005, 02:20 AM
Questions
Usenet poster

wrote:

Try going to a local Asian market. I find cans of braised eel in all
of them. The brand I have now is Tong Ho Food Inc., and can be seen
on http://www.hoohing.com/news/Tong%20H...0Products.html. I have
the blue can that I got for $.99.

Thank you Dan. I went to the site and they don't seem to offer
shipping to the USA.

I did find some roast Pike Eel that is reasonably priced from:
http://store.yahoo.com/2yoyo/cannedfood.html

I ordered 20 cans and including shipping, the entire cost was $45 US.

Yum! I can't wait!

I hope you like it, or you'll have 19 extra cans
Do you have a local Asian market? They may have some eel. I was just
at one on the way back from sledding with my son.. I saw a few different
brands.

Man, I do love eel. It's got a flavor that is just seriously good to
me.

No, I live in St. Augustine, Florida, USA. I think the nearest Asian
market would be in Jacksonville, Florida.

Sledding! Man, I haven't even seen snow in over 25 years. Have fun!

Old 31-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

wrote:

[...]

Gotta love New England weather to live here.. or we'd all move to Florida,
or Arizona. Sledding is cool, my three year old loves it.

I've got many Asian markets in and around Boston. Sorry to hear you don't
have anything close by. I just picked up a bottle of Unagi Kabayaki no Tare,
eel sauce. I have a frozen eel filet in my freezer. I think you'll get better
results from buying frozen filets and sauce in the mail as opposed to canned.

I don't really like the canned as much. I've found two different types of frozen
filets, one I like more than the other. The Japanese brand is more expensive,
but a better flavor. The Chinese brand has a slight muddy taste, still ok though.
you should be able to order this online as well. Ask a local sushi chef where
you can eel. That might help.

--
Dan
Old 31-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Dobbs
Usenet poster

There is a japanese market in Daytona Beach. If you go to the cooking
section of OrlandoSentinel.com there is a link to all of the local
ethnic markets.

dobbs
Old 31-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Musashi
Usenet poster

"Questions" wrote in message =
I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.
=20
If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.
=20
Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

The eel (unagi) that you see in Japanese cuisine is grilled, not smoked.
(Smoked eel is a European delicacy.)
Called Unagi no Kabayaki the main thing is the sauce which is made from =
repeatedly
dipping the eel while grilling. In the Kanto (tokyo/east) area it is =
customary to
steam the eel first to make it fluffy then grill it, whereas in the =
Kansai (Osaska-Kyoto/west)
area they do not steam it first.
Years ago about the only Unagi you could find was canned Eel kabayaki, =
in those square
cans (which might have has self openers like sardine cans).
For the last 15 years or so however, frozen grilled eel is the standard. =
As Dan correctly
mentioned, the Japanese eel is usually more tender, flavorful and =
expensive. The ones imported
from China can sometimes be a little tough but less expensive. But even =
among the chinese
imports quality can vary from poor to excellent.
Nearly all eel regardless of being of Japanese or Chinese origin is =
farmed. While "wild" eel is
available in Japan in certain areas it is not common in stores.
Frozen Unagi is common in all Japanese food stores in the US and is also =
found in many
well stocked Korean stores.

Old 31-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Dan Logcher
Usenet poster

shawn wrote:

"Musashi" wrote:

"Questions" wrote in message ...

I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.

If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

The eel (unagi) that you see in Japanese cuisine is grilled, not smoked.
(Smoked eel is a European delicacy.)

You are right. I did a Google search and the first hit was a great
page about just that subject. http://www.bento.com/re_unagi.html

I pan fried a frozen (thawed) filet before, and it came out pretty good.
Now that I have a grill with a fish grill plate, I will try that next.
My wife has a thing for unagidon.

--
Dan

Old 31-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Questions
Usenet poster

Thank you all so much. I'm pretty new at Sushi, but I'm already
addicted to it.

I'll go to Daytona this coming weekend and check out the market.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Questions
Usenet poster

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:46:19 GMT, Dobbs wrote:

There is a japanese market in Daytona Beach. If you go to the cooking
section of OrlandoSentinel.com there is a link to all of the local
ethnic markets.

dobbs

I found an Oriental Market in Jacksonville, just 28 miles from St.
Augustine. I'm going there this coming weekend and will see what they
have.

Thanks again.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Questions
Usenet poster

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:55:48 -0500, shawn
wrote:

"Musashi" wrote:

"Questions" wrote in message ...
I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.

If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

The eel (unagi) that you see in Japanese cuisine is grilled, not smoked.
(Smoked eel is a European delicacy.)

You are right. I did a Google search and the first hit was a great
page about just that subject. http://www.bento.com/re_unagi.html

Thanks. You've now made me very hungry. I took one look at the picture
on that page and it made my mouth water.

I love it!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:12 AM
Nona
Usenet poster

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:20:25 -0500, Questions wrote:

Not canned, but here is an online source if none available locally:

http://catalinaop.com/sushi.htm
Old 03-02-2005, 03:59 AM
parrotheada1a
Usenet poster

Ahhh.......Musashi knows!!! One point to remember about canned eel
though. Read the ingredient list!! Some of the canned stuff has hot
peppers in it, (usually marked as chile peppers) you might not want to
serve it in a large amount. A little heat is alright, but some of
these this stuff packs a dope slap on the tongue.

I have a question about cooking eels, I have managed to find an asian
grocer that has some live from time to time. I've read in a few
different books that It's advisable to marinate the freshly skinned
eels before cooking. One book says salt, shoyu & a bit of sake, another
says salt & sake and the third says to use sake with a few large pieces
of ginger. Any advice on this?

Jim

Old 03-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Musashi
Usenet poster

"parrotheada1a" wrote in message =
oups.com...
Ahhh.......Musashi knows!!! One point to remember about canned eel
though. Read the ingredient list!! Some of the canned stuff has hot
peppers in it, (usually marked as chile peppers) you might not want =

serve it in a large amount. A little heat is alright, but some of
these this stuff packs a dope slap on the tongue.
=20

Hot pepper in canned eel?=20
That's certainly not Japanese.
I'll bet the can is Korean.

I have a question about cooking eels, I have managed to find an asian
grocer that has some live from time to time. I've read in a few
different books that It's advisable to marinate the freshly skinned
eels before cooking. One book says salt, shoyu & a bit of sake, =

another
says salt & sake and the third says to use sake with a few large =

pieces
of ginger. Any advice on this?=20
=20
Jim

You mentioned "freshly skinned". Unagi is never skinned. Merely =
butterflied
and deboned.=20
When I used to make Unagi Kabayaki from eels I caught in my young days,
I didn't marinate them. However, certainly marinating with sake before =
cooking/
grilling would be a good idea with wild eels since it will take the =
"edge" off the wild
flavor. Perhaps a bit of salt also if you intend on enjoying your eel as =
Shirayaki.=20
Adding salt at this point I think would be a personal preference. It =
might be
a nice touch if the Kabayaki sauce you will be using leans toward the =
sweet side.
I have never heard of using Shoyu prior to cooking/grilling.Unagi is =
first
cooked as Shirayaki amd it is always fluffy white. At least the ones =
I've seen
and eaten.
On the last idea, using ginger could be interesting, especially at the =
marinade point.
Using ginger in the sauce would alter the flavor too much whereas =
marinating might
add just a touch.