Questions

Default Smoked Eel

I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.

If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.

Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.
Dan Logcher

Questions wrote:
> I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
> order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
> off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
> Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.
>
> If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
> that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

Try going to a local Asian market. I find cans of braised eel in all
of them. The brand I have now is Tong Ho Food Inc., and can be seen
on http://www.hoohing.com/news/Tong%20H...0Products.html. I have
the blue can that I got for $.99.

--
Dan
Questions

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:47:36 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>> I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
>> order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
>> off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
>> Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.
>>
>> If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
>> that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

>Try going to a local Asian market. I find cans of braised eel in all
>of them. The brand I have now is Tong Ho Food Inc., and can be seen
>on http://www.hoohing.com/news/Tong%20H...0Products.html. I have
>the blue can that I got for $.99.

Thank you Dan. I went to the site and they don't seem to offer
shipping to the USA.

I did find some roast Pike Eel that is reasonably priced from:
http://store.yahoo.com/2yoyo/cannedfood.html

I ordered 20 cans and including shipping, the entire cost was $45 US.

Yum! I can't wait!
Dan Logcher

Questions wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:47:36 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
>>Try going to a local Asian market. I find cans of braised eel in all
>>of them. The brand I have now is Tong Ho Food Inc., and can be seen
>>on http://www.hoohing.com/news/Tong%20H...0Products.html. I have
>>the blue can that I got for $.99.

> Thank you Dan. I went to the site and they don't seem to offer
> shipping to the USA.
>
> I did find some roast Pike Eel that is reasonably priced from:
> http://store.yahoo.com/2yoyo/cannedfood.html
>
> I ordered 20 cans and including shipping, the entire cost was $45 US.
>
> Yum! I can't wait!

I hope you like it, or you'll have 19 extra cans
Do you have a local Asian market? They may have some eel. I was just
at one on the way back from sledding with my son.. I saw a few different
brands.

--
Dan
Questions

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:34:45 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:47:36 -0500, Dan Logcher
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Try going to a local Asian market. I find cans of braised eel in all
>>>of them. The brand I have now is Tong Ho Food Inc., and can be seen
>>>on http://www.hoohing.com/news/Tong%20H...0Products.html. I have
>>>the blue can that I got for $.99.

>> Thank you Dan. I went to the site and they don't seem to offer
>> shipping to the USA.
>>
>> I did find some roast Pike Eel that is reasonably priced from:
>> http://store.yahoo.com/2yoyo/cannedfood.html
>>
>> I ordered 20 cans and including shipping, the entire cost was $45 US.
>>
>> Yum! I can't wait!

>I hope you like it, or you'll have 19 extra cans
>Do you have a local Asian market? They may have some eel. I was just
>at one on the way back from sledding with my son.. I saw a few different
>brands.

Man, I do love eel. It's got a flavor that is just seriously good to
me.

No, I live in St. Augustine, Florida, USA. I think the nearest Asian
market would be in Jacksonville, Florida.

Sledding! Man, I haven't even seen snow in over 25 years. Have fun!

Dan Logcher

Questions wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:34:45 -0500, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Questions wrote:

>>>Thank you Dan. I went to the site and they don't seem to offer
>>>shipping to the USA.
>>>
>>>I did find some roast Pike Eel that is reasonably priced from:
>>>http://store.yahoo.com/2yoyo/cannedfood.html
>>>
>>>I ordered 20 cans and including shipping, the entire cost was $45 US.
>>>
>>>Yum! I can't wait!

>>I hope you like it, or you'll have 19 extra cans
>>Do you have a local Asian market? They may have some eel. I was just
>>at one on the way back from sledding with my son.. I saw a few different
>>brands.

> Man, I do love eel. It's got a flavor that is just seriously good to
> me.
>
> No, I live in St. Augustine, Florida, USA. I think the nearest Asian
> market would be in Jacksonville, Florida.
>
> Sledding! Man, I haven't even seen snow in over 25 years. Have fun!

Gotta love New England weather to live here.. or we'd all move to Florida,
or Arizona. Sledding is cool, my three year old loves it.

I've got many Asian markets in and around Boston. Sorry to hear you don't
have anything close by. I just picked up a bottle of Unagi Kabayaki no Tare,
eel sauce. I have a frozen eel filet in my freezer. I think you'll get better
results from buying frozen filets and sauce in the mail as opposed to canned.

I don't really like the canned as much. I've found two different types of frozen
filets, one I like more than the other. The Japanese brand is more expensive,
but a better flavor. The Chinese brand has a slight muddy taste, still ok though.
you should be able to order this online as well. Ask a local sushi chef where
you can eel. That might help.

--
Dan
Dobbs

There is a japanese market in Daytona Beach. If you go to the cooking
section of OrlandoSentinel.com there is a link to all of the local
ethnic markets.

dobbs
Musashi

"Questions" > wrote in message =
> I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
> order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
> off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
> Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.
>=20
> If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
> that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.
>=20
> Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

The eel (unagi) that you see in Japanese cuisine is grilled, not smoked.
(Smoked eel is a European delicacy.)
Called Unagi no Kabayaki the main thing is the sauce which is made from =
repeatedly
dipping the eel while grilling. In the Kanto (tokyo/east) area it is =
customary to
steam the eel first to make it fluffy then grill it, whereas in the =
Kansai (Osaska-Kyoto/west)
area they do not steam it first.
Years ago about the only Unagi you could find was canned Eel kabayaki, =
in those square
cans (which might have has self openers like sardine cans).
For the last 15 years or so however, frozen grilled eel is the standard. =
As Dan correctly
mentioned, the Japanese eel is usually more tender, flavorful and =
expensive. The ones imported
from China can sometimes be a little tough but less expensive. But even =
among the chinese
imports quality can vary from poor to excellent.
Nearly all eel regardless of being of Japanese or Chinese origin is =
farmed. While "wild" eel is
available in Japan in certain areas it is not common in stores.
Frozen Unagi is common in all Japanese food stores in the US and is also =
found in many
well stocked Korean stores.

Dan Logcher

shawn wrote:

> "Musashi" > wrote:
>

>>"Questions" > wrote in message ...
>>
>>>I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
>>>order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
>>>off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
>>>Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.
>>>
>>>If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
>>>that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.
>>>
>>>Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.
>>>

>>The eel (unagi) that you see in Japanese cuisine is grilled, not smoked.
>>(Smoked eel is a European delicacy.)
>>

> You are right. I did a Google search and the first hit was a great
> page about just that subject. http://www.bento.com/re_unagi.html

I pan fried a frozen (thawed) filet before, and it came out pretty good.
Now that I have a grill with a fish grill plate, I will try that next.
My wife has a thing for unagidon.

--
Dan

Questions

Thank you all so much. I'm pretty new at Sushi, but I'm already
addicted to it.

I'll go to Daytona this coming weekend and check out the market.

Questions

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:46:19 GMT, Dobbs > wrote:

>There is a japanese market in Daytona Beach. If you go to the cooking
>section of OrlandoSentinel.com there is a link to all of the local
>ethnic markets.
>
>dobbs

I found an Oriental Market in Jacksonville, just 28 miles from St.
Augustine. I'm going there this coming weekend and will see what they
have.

Thanks again.
Questions

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:55:48 -0500, shawn >
wrote:

>"Musashi" > wrote:
>

>>"Questions" > wrote in message ...
>>> I love smoked eel in any form. Does anyone here know of somewhere to
>>> order canned smoked eel? I have surfed until my fingers are falling
>>> off. I can't seem to find a place to order it from. I live in St.
>>> Augustine, Florida. I can't find it locally either.
>>>
>>> If I were to ask for a retailers name at a sushi restaurant, would
>>> that be proper? I don't want to be rude in any way.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.

>>The eel (unagi) that you see in Japanese cuisine is grilled, not smoked.
>>(Smoked eel is a European delicacy.)

>You are right. I did a Google search and the first hit was a great
>page about just that subject. http://www.bento.com/re_unagi.html

Thanks. You've now made me very hungry. I took one look at the picture
on that page and it made my mouth water.

I love it!
Nona

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:20:25 -0500, Questions > wrote:

Not canned, but here is an online source if none available locally:

http://catalinaop.com/sushi.htm
parrotheada1a

Ahhh.......Musashi knows!!! One point to remember about canned eel
though. Read the ingredient list!! Some of the canned stuff has hot
peppers in it, (usually marked as chile peppers) you might not want to
serve it in a large amount. A little heat is alright, but some of
these this stuff packs a dope slap on the tongue.

I have a question about cooking eels, I have managed to find an asian
grocer that has some live from time to time. I've read in a few
different books that It's advisable to marinate the freshly skinned
eels before cooking. One book says salt, shoyu & a bit of sake, another
says salt & sake and the third says to use sake with a few large pieces
of ginger. Any advice on this?

Jim

Musashi

"parrotheada1a" > wrote in message =
oups.com...
> Ahhh.......Musashi knows!!! One point to remember about canned eel
> though. Read the ingredient list!! Some of the canned stuff has hot
> peppers in it, (usually marked as chile peppers) you might not want =

> serve it in a large amount. A little heat is alright, but some of
> these this stuff packs a dope slap on the tongue.
>=20

Hot pepper in canned eel?=20
That's certainly not Japanese.
I'll bet the can is Korean.

> I have a question about cooking eels, I have managed to find an asian
> grocer that has some live from time to time. I've read in a few
> different books that It's advisable to marinate the freshly skinned
> eels before cooking. One book says salt, shoyu & a bit of sake, =

another
> says salt & sake and the third says to use sake with a few large =

pieces
> of ginger. Any advice on this?=20
>=20
> Jim

You mentioned "freshly skinned". Unagi is never skinned. Merely =
butterflied
and deboned.=20
When I used to make Unagi Kabayaki from eels I caught in my young days,
I didn't marinate them. However, certainly marinating with sake before =
cooking/
grilling would be a good idea with wild eels since it will take the =
"edge" off the wild
flavor. Perhaps a bit of salt also if you intend on enjoying your eel as =
Shirayaki.=20
Adding salt at this point I think would be a personal preference. It =
might be
a nice touch if the Kabayaki sauce you will be using leans toward the =
sweet side.
I have never heard of using Shoyu prior to cooking/grilling.Unagi is =
first
cooked as Shirayaki amd it is always fluffy white. At least the ones =
I've seen
and eaten.
On the last idea, using ginger could be interesting, especially at the =
marinade point.
Using ginger in the sauce would alter the flavor too much whereas =
marinating might
add just a touch.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

>>I have a question about cooking eels, I have managed to find an asian
>>grocer that has some live from time to time. I've read in a few
>>different books that It's advisable to marinate the freshly skinned
>>eels before cooking. One book says salt, shoyu & a bit of sake, another
>>says salt & sake and the third says to use sake with a few large pieces
>>of ginger. Any advice on this?

> You mentioned "freshly skinned". Unagi is never skinned. Merely butterflied
> and deboned.

I believe you do skin anago though. I've caught a few, and took one to a
local sushi bar. The kitchen chef prepared it for me two ways, battered and
fried and grilled.

--
Dan

Tippi

Musashi wrote:
> "parrotheada1a" > wrote
> > One point to remember about canned eel
> > Some of the canned stuff has hot peppers in it,

> Hot pepper in canned eel?
> That's certainly not Japanese.
> I'll bet the can is Korean.

The ones I've had are Chinese. They are nothing like fresh eel, never
mind unagi. The text is like canned salmon but softer,

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message =
> Musashi wrote:
>=20
> >>I have a question about cooking eels, I have managed to find an =

asian
> >>grocer that has some live from time to time. I've read in a few
> >>different books that It's advisable to marinate the freshly skinned
> >>eels before cooking. One book says salt, shoyu & a bit of sake, =

another
> >>says salt & sake and the third says to use sake with a few large =

pieces
> >>of ginger. Any advice on this?=20

>=20
> >=20
> > You mentioned "freshly skinned". Unagi is never skinned. Merely =

butterflied
> > and deboned.=20

>=20
> I believe you do skin anago though. I've caught a few, and took one =

to a
> local sushi bar. The kitchen chef prepared it for me two ways, =

battered and
> fried and grilled.
>=20
> --=20
> Dan

I can't remember if anago is skinned. Certainly on sushi it is, but in =
Tempura
I am not sure.
Anyway, where in the world did you catch Anago?=20

Michael

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. ..

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> I believe you do skin anago though. I've caught a few, and took one to a
> local sushi bar. The kitchen chef prepared it for me two ways, battered

and
> fried and grilled.
>
> --
> Dan

I can't remember if anago is skinned. Certainly on sushi it is, but in
Tempura
I am not sure.
Anyway, where in the world did you catch Anago?

Don't know where Dan got his but we used to catch it off docks on the NC and
SC coasts. Not brackish water but pure seawater so I assume it was anago.

Questions

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:42:49 GMT, "Michael"
> wrote:

>"Musashi" > wrote in message
>
>"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>> Musashi wrote:
>> I believe you do skin anago though. I've caught a few, and took one to a
>> local sushi bar. The kitchen chef prepared it for me two ways, battered

>and
>> fried and grilled.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

>I can't remember if anago is skinned. Certainly on sushi it is, but in
>Tempura
>I am not sure.
>Anyway, where in the world did you catch Anago?
>
>Don't know where Dan got his but we used to catch it off docks on the NC and
>SC coasts. Not brackish water but pure seawater so I assume it was anago.

I have accidentally caught eel in fresh water. Big ones, (3-4 feet in
length). I caught them on a fish hook while fishing for fresh water
bass.

What methods are used to catch them if you are meaning to catch them?
How would I know if they were safe to eat? What are the methods for
cleaning them? I've cleaned rattlesnake and eaten it. Would it be the
same?

Michael

"Questions" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:42:49 GMT, "Michael"
> I have accidentally caught eel in fresh water. Big ones, (3-4 feet in
> length). I caught them on a fish hook while fishing for fresh water
> bass.
>
> What methods are used to catch them if you are meaning to catch them?
> How would I know if they were safe to eat? What are the methods for
> cleaning them? I've cleaned rattlesnake and eaten it. Would it be the
> same?

Santee Cooper lakes in SC are a huge supplier of eel. The fishermen take
large concrete basins (actually septic tanks w/o the tops) and submerge them
w/ bait inside, wait a few days and them lift them out full of eels.

We used to fish for eel off the docks at the coast and simply beat the eels
against a boat until the stopped wiggling. Nothing special for
bait...shrimp, worms or whatever.

Safe to eat, well never thought about it. Compared to a oyster or a crab
they looked downright good.

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Musashi wrote:
>>I believe you do skin anago though. I've caught a few, and took one to a
>>local sushi bar. The kitchen chef prepared it for me two ways, battered

> and
>
>>fried and grilled.
>>
>>--
>>Dan

> I can't remember if anago is skinned. Certainly on sushi it is, but in
> Tempura
> I am not sure.
> Anyway, where in the world did you catch Anago?
>
> Don't know where Dan got his but we used to catch it off docks on the NC and
> SC coasts. Not brackish water but pure seawater so I assume it was anago.

Manchester, MA.. sitting on the dock O the bay. Conger Eel is quite common
in the harbor. I've caught 3, they like to chew on my mackerel chunks that
I use to fish for stripers (can't blame them).

--
Dan
Dan Logcher

Questions wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:42:49 GMT, "Michael"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Musashi" > wrote in message
m...

>>"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Musashi wrote:
>>>I believe you do skin anago though. I've caught a few, and took one to a
>>>local sushi bar. The kitchen chef prepared it for me two ways, battered

>>and
>>
>>>fried and grilled.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Dan

>>I can't remember if anago is skinned. Certainly on sushi it is, but in
>>Tempura
>>I am not sure.
>>Anyway, where in the world did you catch Anago?
>>
>>Don't know where Dan got his but we used to catch it off docks on the NC and
>>SC coasts. Not brackish water but pure seawater so I assume it was anago.
>>

> I have accidentally caught eel in fresh water. Big ones, (3-4 feet in
> length). I caught them on a fish hook while fishing for fresh water
> bass.
>
> What methods are used to catch them if you are meaning to catch them?
> How would I know if they were safe to eat? What are the methods for
> cleaning them? I've cleaned rattlesnake and eaten it. Would it be the
> same?

Chunk mackerel is what I was using every time. I asked around about eating
eel, and enough people said its good. I took it to a sushi bar, they cleaned
it and cooked it for me.

I've had rattlesnake too, and it's nothing like it. Anago is similar to
unaji, just a slight different texture and less flavor.

--
Dan
Questions

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:49:31 -0500, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:42:49 GMT, "Michael"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

>>>and

>>>I can't remember if anago is skinned. Certainly on sushi it is, but in
>>>Tempura
>>>I am not sure.
>>>Anyway, where in the world did you catch Anago?
>>>
>>>Don't know where Dan got his but we used to catch it off docks on the NC and
>>>SC coasts. Not brackish water but pure seawater so I assume it was anago.
>>>

>> I have accidentally caught eel in fresh water. Big ones, (3-4 feet in
>> length). I caught them on a fish hook while fishing for fresh water
>> bass.
>>
>> What methods are used to catch them if you are meaning to catch them?
>> How would I know if they were safe to eat? What are the methods for
>> cleaning them? I've cleaned rattlesnake and eaten it. Would it be the
>> same?

>Chunk mackerel is what I was using every time. I asked around about eating
>eel, and enough people said its good. I took it to a sushi bar, they cleaned
>it and cooked it for me.
>
>I've had rattlesnake too, and it's nothing like it. Anago is similar to
>unaji, just a slight different texture and less flavor.

Ha Ha! I didn't mean the taste! Oh my goodness, that made me laugh
good. I meant the method of cleaning it.

Rattlesnake makes very good BBQ sandwiches, and is good on a salad
also.
Ken Blake

In ,
Michael > typed:

> I can't remember if anago is skinned. Certainly on sushi it is,
> but in
> Tempura
> I am not sure.

Anago tempura? I've never run into that. Where do you get it?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Michael > typed:

> We used to fish for eel off the docks at the coast and simply
> beat
> the eels against a boat until the stopped wiggling. Nothing
> special
> for bait...shrimp, worms or whatever.

What, no horse heads?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Questions

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:12:20 GMT, Nona >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:20:25 -0500, Questions > wrote:
>
>Not canned, but here is an online source if none available locally:
>
>http://catalinaop.com/sushi.htm

Oh, thank you so much! I want to learn how to make sushi/sashimi at my
home. Could any of you suggest a real good book with lots of photos
that explains how to make some of the most popular of these wonderful
taste treats?

The prices are very fair on the site you sent me. I will be ordering
quite often.

Thank you again.

Questions > wrote:
> Nona > wrote:
> >On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:20:25 -0500, Questions > wrote:
> >
> >Not canned, but here is an online source if none available locally:
> >
> >http://catalinaop.com/sushi.htm

> Oh, thank you so much! I want to learn how to make sushi/sashimi at my
> home. Could any of you suggest a real good book with lots of photos
> that explains how to make some of the most popular of these wonderful
> taste treats?
>
> The prices are very fair on the site you sent me. I will be ordering
> quite often.
>
> Thank you again.

Two books that I would suggest considering:

Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art, by Shizuo Tsuji, and

The Book of Japanese Cooking, by Emi Kazuko

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten Thanks ! ! !
Nona

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:39:38 -0500, Questions > wrote:

>The prices are very fair on the site you sent me. I will be ordering
>quite often.
>
>Thank you again.

You are welcome, I hope you enjoy. Their hotategai and A grade sea
urchin are excellent. For that matter, their fish is much fresher
than what you can buy at stores except those frozen packaged fish
coming from Japan. Those would be the same regardless of where you
purchase.

I've read in our local newspaper that best urchin are from California
coast - most are exported to Japan. But, as more people are becoming
familiar in the US, it's now available for consumers. If you are
using urchin for anything other than sushi, don't waste your money on
A grade.
Nona

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:39:38 -0500, Questions > wrote:

>home. Could any of you suggest a real good book with lots of photos
>that explains how to make some of the most popular of these wonderful
>taste treats?

For English language sushi book with lotsa pictures and step by step
illustration, try Sushi by Ryuichi Yoshii. I believe I purchased mine
from Amazon.

Michael

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Michael > typed:
>
> > We used to fish for eel off the docks at the coast and simply
> > beat
> > the eels against a boat until the stopped wiggling. Nothing
> > special
> > for bait...shrimp, worms or whatever.

> What, no horse heads?

Horse heads are used for crabbing.

Musashi

"Questions" > wrote in message =
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:42:49 GMT, "Michael"
> > wrote:
>=20
> >
> >"Musashi" > wrote in message
> >
> >"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> >> Musashi wrote:
> >> I believe you do skin anago though. I've caught a few, and took =

one to a
> >> local sushi bar. The kitchen chef prepared it for me two ways, =

battered
> >and
> >> fried and grilled.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dan

> >I can't remember if anago is skinned. Certainly on sushi it is, but =

in
> >Tempura
> >I am not sure.
> >Anyway, where in the world did you catch Anago?
> >
> >Don't know where Dan got his but we used to catch it off docks on the =

NC and
> >SC coasts. Not brackish water but pure seawater so I assume it was =

anago.

> I have accidentally caught eel in fresh water. Big ones, (3-4 feet in
> length). I caught them on a fish hook while fishing for fresh water
> bass.
>=20
> What methods are used to catch them if you are meaning to catch them?
> How would I know if they were safe to eat? What are the methods for
> cleaning them? I've cleaned rattlesnake and eaten it. Would it be the
> same?

I have also caught very large eels in freshwater while LM Bass fishing. =
They are often
the largest eels because they are all upriver females which get larger =
than the males that
tend to stay closer to sal****er.
Specifically targeting eels in the daytime would be putting any kind of =
bait especially cut
fish on the bottom where there are rocks. A location with a bit of a =
current, such as
above or below a dam is ideal. The same method works even better at =
night however then
you can expect to get catfish hitting your bait as well.
Eels are really hard to tell if they are "safe to eat" because firsty =
they are able to live in
low oxygen polluted waters that other game fish can't handle, and also =
they are capable
of traversing polluted water to get to someplace that isn't. Check your =
state Fish & Game
regulations for what bodies of water are designated "don't eat the =
fish".
Cleaning an eel is tough mostly because they are hard to handle due to =
their protective slime.
You'll also note that they live for hours without water, and to keep one =
alive and fresh you
bring it home with merely a wet rag or seaweed on top of it, never in =
water.
In Japan eels are dressed by nailing it's head into the cutting board =
(yes there is a specfic nail
device for this) then cutting down along the back alongside the =
backbone, then splitting it
as in butterflying. Remove the entrails and the bones, then the head. =
Cut into 2 or 3 pieces
for grilling. In the Tokyo area they cut from the stomach side whereas =
in the Osaka area they
curt from the back side. Something about reminding people about =
Hara-Kiri. Whatever.
I can't tell you if the menthod is the same for rattlesnake because I =
have never dressed one.
But I can tell you that an eel basically has an elongated fish bone =
structure, not like that
of a snake.

Musashi

"Michael" > wrote in message =
>=20
> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > In ,
> > Michael > typed:
> >
> > > We used to fish for eel off the docks at the coast and simply
> > > beat
> > > the eels against a boat until the stopped wiggling. Nothing
> > > special
> > > for bait...shrimp, worms or whatever.

> > What, no horse heads?

>=20
>=20
> Horse heads are used for crabbing.
>=20

You must have some enormous crabs down there.

Dan Logcher

Michael wrote:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
>
>>In ,
>>Michael > typed:
>>

>>>We used to fish for eel off the docks at the coast and simply
>>>beat
>>>the eels against a boat until the stopped wiggling. Nothing
>>>special
>>>for bait...shrimp, worms or whatever.
>>>

>>What, no horse heads?
>>

> Horse heads are used for crabbing.

And for putting in people's beds.

--
Dan

Ken Blake

Michael wrote:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
>> In ,
>> Michael > typed:
>>
>>> We used to fish for eel off the docks at the coast and simply
>>> beat
>>> the eels against a boat until the stopped wiggling. Nothing
>>> special
>>> for bait...shrimp, worms or whatever.

>> What, no horse heads?

> Horse heads are used for crabbing.

Maybe so, but they are also used for eels, at least in some parts
of the world.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Michael

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. ..

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > In ,
> > Michael > typed:
> >
> > > We used to fish for eel off the docks at the coast and simply
> > > beat
> > > the eels against a boat until the stopped wiggling. Nothing
> > > special
> > > for bait...shrimp, worms or whatever.

> > What, no horse heads?

> Horse heads are used for crabbing.

You must have some enormous crabs down there.

No bigger than my tall tales.

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> >>Michael > typed:

> >>What, no horse heads?
> >>

> > Horse heads are used for crabbing.

> And for putting in people's beds.

Human corpses are a haven for eels. SBD °~/

smoked eel J&J General Cooking 5 17-12-2012 05:05 PM
Smoked cod? ceed Barbecue 9 01-07-2005 10:39 PM
OT- smoked eel Musashi Sushi 5 22-04-2004 07:48 PM
Could this be smoked? Graeme... in London Barbecue 4 27-11-2003 10:58 PM
Smoked salmon: croft smoked. Oz General Cooking 3 24-10-2003 08:03 AM