lazrowp

Default Sushi Restaurant Pet Peeves

Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are in a
Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific order):

- Having to ask for low-sodium soy sauce

- When the server does not know the brand name of the house "hot
sake"

- Ordering any sashimi and not having the shiso leaf come w/the order
(instead maybe some regular lettuce.

- Not being given a spoon for agedashi tofu

- Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out roll"
style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style replaced the
more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?

- Female workers dressed in kimonos. Isn't that cruel and unusual
punishment to force someone to work in that restrictive clothing in a
restaurant environment? I rarely see a Chinese or Thai restaurant
where the workers are still dressing in their native dress in order to
"add flavor to the eating experience." Just serving delicious food in
a nice environment should be enough. Kimonos should be left in the
closet.

Do you have any others? (Please do not mention any specific
establishments)

:-)

"lazrowp" > writes:

> - Having to ask for low-sodium soy sauce

Why would asking for a specialty item be a peeve?
I can see you being unhappy if they didn't provide
it when asked, but is there a reason it should be
out on the table by default?

> - When the server does not know the brand name of the house "hot
> sake"

It's cheap house sake. If you care about brand, you're
going to order by brand anyway. But, yeah, the server
should at least be able to go and find out and tell you.

> - Ordering any sashimi and not having the shiso leaf come w/the
> order (instead maybe some regular lettuce.

I wasn't aware that shiso was a requirement for sashimi.
It's nice, but is it necessary? Doesn't it also depend
on the fish as well?

> - Not being given a spoon for agedashi tofu

That'd just be weird.

> - Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out
> roll" style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style
> replaced the more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?

Often it says on the menu whether or not it comes
inside-out. I don't normally care, since I very very
rarely order a roll anyway.

> - Female workers dressed in kimonos. Isn't that cruel and unusual

Nothing wrong with it. It's no different than any other
restaurant requiring an appropriate work uniform. The
more casual places don't seem to do the kimono thing,
just as they are less likely to have a maitre'd wearing
a tux or suit. No big deal.

> "add flavor to the eating experience." Just serving delicious food in
> a nice environment should be enough. Kimonos should be left in the
> closet.

It's supposed to be part of the 'nice environment'.

My peeves?

Ordering an assortment and the server not being able to
tell me what's what.

Server not speaking English adequately to communicate well.

Server not knowing specials.

Specials board still listing things that are sold out.

Lack of a specials board or any seasonal items.

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

"lazrowp" > writes:

> - Having to ask for low-sodium soy sauce

Why would asking for a specialty item be a peeve?
I can see you being unhappy if they didn't provide
it when asked, but is there a reason it should be
out on the table by default?

> - When the server does not know the brand name of the house "hot
> sake"

It's cheap house sake. If you care about brand, you're
going to order by brand anyway. But, yeah, the server
should at least be able to go and find out and tell you.

> - Ordering any sashimi and not having the shiso leaf come w/the
> order (instead maybe some regular lettuce.

I wasn't aware that shiso was a requirement for sashimi.
It's nice, but is it necessary? Doesn't it also depend
on the fish as well?

> - Not being given a spoon for agedashi tofu

That'd just be weird.

> - Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out
> roll" style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style
> replaced the more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?

Often it says on the menu whether or not it comes
inside-out. I don't normally care, since I very very
rarely order a roll anyway.

> - Female workers dressed in kimonos. Isn't that cruel and unusual

Nothing wrong with it. It's no different than any other
restaurant requiring an appropriate work uniform. The
more casual places don't seem to do the kimono thing,
just as they are less likely to have a maitre'd wearing
a tux or suit. No big deal.

> "add flavor to the eating experience." Just serving delicious food in
> a nice environment should be enough. Kimonos should be left in the
> closet.

It's supposed to be part of the 'nice environment'.

My peeves?

Ordering an assortment and the server not being able to
tell me what's what.

Server not speaking English adequately to communicate well.

Server not knowing specials.

Specials board still listing things that are sold out.

Lack of a specials board or any seasonal items.

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
Geoff

lazrowp wrote:
> Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are in a
> Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific order):
>

> - Having to ask for low-sodium soy sauce

Green lid a good clue.

> - When the server does not know the brand name of the house "hot
> sake"

The hot one is rotgut being pumped from a big hot tea-style dispenser in
the back anyway, so why bother. Order a premium cold sake or beer.

> - Ordering any sashimi and not having the shiso leaf come w/the order
> (instead maybe some regular lettuce.

Shiso is up to the itamae.

> - Not being given a spoon for agedashi tofu

Asked and asnwered.

> - Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out roll"
> style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style replaced the
> more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?

Delivered as the itamae wants it to be served.

<<snip>>

> Do you have any others? (Please do not mention any specific
> establishments)

Waiters who don't know what the cold premium sake choices are.

"Sushi restaurants" (as many in my part of L.A.) where there is not a
single Japanese or Japanese-speaking waiter or sushi cutter
(intentionally not using the word itamae here) in the entire place. When
I order in Japanese I get a strange look. Zenbu hankokujin desu.
Geoff

lazrowp wrote:
> Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are in a
> Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific order):
>

> - Having to ask for low-sodium soy sauce

Green lid a good clue.

> - When the server does not know the brand name of the house "hot
> sake"

The hot one is rotgut being pumped from a big hot tea-style dispenser in
the back anyway, so why bother. Order a premium cold sake or beer.

> - Ordering any sashimi and not having the shiso leaf come w/the order
> (instead maybe some regular lettuce.

Shiso is up to the itamae.

> - Not being given a spoon for agedashi tofu

Asked and asnwered.

> - Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out roll"
> style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style replaced the
> more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?

Delivered as the itamae wants it to be served.

<<snip>>

> Do you have any others? (Please do not mention any specific
> establishments)

Waiters who don't know what the cold premium sake choices are.

"Sushi restaurants" (as many in my part of L.A.) where there is not a
single Japanese or Japanese-speaking waiter or sushi cutter
(intentionally not using the word itamae here) in the entire place. When
I order in Japanese I get a strange look. Zenbu hankokujin desu.

Max

In article . com>,
"lazrowp" > wrote:

> Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are in a
> Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific order):
>
> Do you have any others? (Please do not mention any specific
> establishments)

Showing up for Dirty Pair night and finding out they switched it with
Sanrio.

The Naked Sushi chick needs a wax job.

funny looks when i order okonomiyaki

ping pong balls floating with the kaitan

..max

--
the part of >
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
lazrowp

Geoff wrote:
> lazrowp wrote:
> > Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> > restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are in

> > Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific

order):

> > - Having to ask for low-sodium soy sauce

> Green lid a good clue.
>

> > - When the server does not know the brand name of the house "hot
> > sake"

> The hot one is rotgut being pumped from a big hot tea-style dispenser

in
> the back anyway, so why bother. Order a premium cold sake or beer.
>

> > - Ordering any sashimi and not having the shiso leaf come w/the

order
> > (instead maybe some regular lettuce.
> >

> Shiso is up to the itamae.
>
> > - Not being given a spoon for agedashi tofu
> >

> Asked and asnwered.
>
> > - Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out

roll"
> > style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style replaced the
> > more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?
> >

> Delivered as the itamae wants it to be served.
>
> <<snip>>
>

> > Do you have any others? (Please do not mention any specific
> > establishments)
> >

> Waiters who don't know what the cold premium sake choices are.
>
> "Sushi restaurants" (as many in my part of L.A.) where there is not a

> single Japanese or Japanese-speaking waiter or sushi cutter
> (intentionally not using the word itamae here) in the entire place.

When
> I order in Japanese I get a strange look. Zenbu hankokujin desu.

lazrowp

Geoff wrote:
> lazrowp wrote:
> > Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> > restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are in

> > Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific

order):

> > - Having to ask for low-sodium soy sauce

> Green lid a good clue.
>

> > - When the server does not know the brand name of the house "hot
> > sake"

> The hot one is rotgut being pumped from a big hot tea-style dispenser

in
> the back anyway, so why bother. Order a premium cold sake or beer.
>

> > - Ordering any sashimi and not having the shiso leaf come w/the

order
> > (instead maybe some regular lettuce.
> >

> Shiso is up to the itamae.
>
> > - Not being given a spoon for agedashi tofu
> >

> Asked and asnwered.
>
> > - Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out

roll"
> > style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style replaced the
> > more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?
> >

> Delivered as the itamae wants it to be served.
>
> <<snip>>
>

> > Do you have any others? (Please do not mention any specific
> > establishments)
> >

> Waiters who don't know what the cold premium sake choices are.
>
> "Sushi restaurants" (as many in my part of L.A.) where there is not a

> single Japanese or Japanese-speaking waiter or sushi cutter
> (intentionally not using the word itamae here) in the entire place.

When
> I order in Japanese I get a strange look. Zenbu hankokujin desu.

"kankokujin" desho?

Geoff

lazrowp wrote:
> Geoff wrote:
>
> When
>
>>I order in Japanese I get a strange look. Zenbu hankokujin desu.

> "kankokujin" desho?

Hai, so desu. Thanks. My primary Asian language is Chinese (Mandarin han
guo ren, Cantonese Hon gwok yan) and my Japanese is rusty. Sometimes I
forget the correct Chinese to onyomi mapping.

No mistaking the "all-you-can-eat" or "two-for-one" signs and thick
artless cutting at some of those places, though.

Must add my remark was limited to my first-hand experience of 4-5 places
in my area, so not intended to express a generalization or disparage any
particular group.
Geoff

lazrowp wrote:
> Geoff wrote:
>
> When
>
>>I order in Japanese I get a strange look. Zenbu hankokujin desu.

> "kankokujin" desho?

Hai, so desu. Thanks. My primary Asian language is Chinese (Mandarin han
guo ren, Cantonese Hon gwok yan) and my Japanese is rusty. Sometimes I
forget the correct Chinese to onyomi mapping.

No mistaking the "all-you-can-eat" or "two-for-one" signs and thick
artless cutting at some of those places, though.

Must add my remark was limited to my first-hand experience of 4-5 places
in my area, so not intended to express a generalization or disparage any
particular group.
Can Altinbay

"lazrowp" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are in a
> Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific order):
>

> - Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out roll"
> style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style replaced the
> more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?

They should come the way they are meant to.
On the other hand, I can't find a place that will do negihama correctly.
Here, it's inside-out. If they understand what I'm talking about at all,
they'll generally give me a hamachi maki.

> - Female workers dressed in kimonos. Isn't that cruel and unusual
> punishment to force someone to work in that restrictive clothing in a
> restaurant environment? I rarely see a Chinese or Thai restaurant
> where the workers are still dressing in their native dress in order to
> "add flavor to the eating experience." Just serving delicious food in
> a nice environment should be enough. Kimonos should be left in the
> closet.

I think they should be dressed comfortably. But I prefer it if they
actually speak Japanese. Short of that, they should at least understand
what they are serving.

> Do you have any others? (Please do not mention any specific
> establishments)

I do NOT appreciate hip joints and places with attitude. I do NOT like
places where the staff are nattily dressed with thin ties and where they
play hip music. If they have to do music, they should play traditional
Japanese. Koto, shakuhachi.

I prefer traditional decor, but PLEASE no ultra modern decor with or without
Japanese anime robots.

> :-)

Can Altinbay

> wrote in message
> Server not speaking English adequately to communicate well.

Personally, I don't have a problem with this if the server is Japanese, but
I think in an American place, they should be able to get by in Eniglsh.

I stopped going to one place in Denver because the owner, who knew me and we
spoke Japanese together, started having her new help practice on my wife and
I. The one that did it for us was the totally untrained one who spoke
neither English nor Japanese. Sigh.

> Server not knowing specials.
>
> Specials board still listing things that are sold out.
>
> Lack of a specials board or any seasonal items.

It would be nice if the specials board actually listed specials, instead of
the same items all year round.

> --
> Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.
> No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
> Are you posting responses that are easy for others to follow?
> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting

Musashi

"lazrowp" > wrote in message =
ups.com...
> Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are in a
> Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific order):
>=20
> - Having to ask for low-sodium soy sauce
>=20

Understandable if you are watching your sodium intake. However, nearly =
every
sushi place I've been to that even offers a low-sodium soy sauce uses =
that green-capped
kikkoman stuff that tastes like garbage. I've personally tried perhaps =
5-6 low sodium
soy sauces and found only one called KIN BUE that has a taste good =
enough for sushi
and sashimi. Unfortunately I can't find it all the time but when I do, I =
pick up a couple
of bottles.

> - When the server does not know the brand name of the house "hot
> sake"
>=20

Most waiters and waitresses won't know this. Firstly, in many places =
they are not
even Japanese to start with and couldn't name one sake brand off the top =
of their heads.
Secondly, usually they are use to American customers wanting "hot socky" =
who wouldn't
know any brands either. Japanese run places that attract Japanese =
businessmen at night invariably
have the biggest seclection of sake as well as knowledgable servers.
=20
> - Ordering any sashimi and not having the shiso leaf come w/the =

order
> (instead maybe some regular lettuce.

Shiso is really a seasonal thing, mostly late spring through early fall. =
However, it can be bought
pretty much year round, although the price is higher in winter. =
Sometimes, if shiso is not
available sashimi will be served with other tsuma including various =
seaweeds.
Nevertheless, lettuce no matter what kind, is not something that should =
be served with sashimi.
Ever. Calls for punishment.
=20
> - Not being given a spoon for agedashi tofu

I would be more annoyed at being given a metal spoon instead of a =
traditional Renge (a white
ceramic oval spoon of chinese origin).

>=20
> - Ordering a roll and it automatically comes in the "inside-out =

roll"
> style. Why, and since when, has inside-out roll style replaced the
> more traditional seaweed-on-the-outside style?
>=20

Yes, unless so specified, whoever made that gyaku-maki should be =
punished.

> - Female workers dressed in kimonos. Isn't that cruel and unusual
> punishment to force someone to work in that restrictive clothing in a
> restaurant environment?

Not every woman looks "good" in a Kimono. It requires a certain type of =
build,
shoulders not too wide, (and hips too) for example to wear a Kimono =
well.
I have in the past seen some girls in Kimonos where my having to look at =
them
was cruel and unusual punishment.
To even put on a Kimono by yourself requires training (called Kitsuke) =
and usually Kimonos
are put on with help. Some of the very top level Japanese restaurants in =
NY City have servers
dressed in Kimonos and they are done properly. However, when any-old =
Japanese, or imitation
Japanese place, that wouldn't know a Kimono from a bathrobe throws them =
onto girls who
have no idea what they are wearing, I find it laughable at best, =
offensive at worst.
=20
> I rarely see a Chinese or Thai restaurant
> where the workers are still dressing in their native dress in order to
> "add flavor to the eating experience." Just serving delicious food in
> a nice environment should be enough. Kimonos should be left in the
> closet.

Some of the very top level Chinese restaurants in Manhattan have at =
least the hostesse(s)
wearing the classic beautiful China dresses. I certainly have no problem =
with that

> Do you have any others? (Please do not mention any specific
> establishments)
>=20

- Asking for something in Japanese and the server isn't Japanese.
So I have to repeat it in English.
- Asking for something in Japanese, the server IS Japanese and still =
doesn't
know what I'm talking about because he/she doesn't know sushi =
terminology.
This is far more infuriating than the former.
- A server that doesn't know what I'm talking about in Japanese OR =
English.
Calls for punishment.
- Servers who fail to mention from the start which items they are out =
of, rather than
waiting for me to order 10 things before they tell me which 5 things =
they are out of.
Calls for death.

Musashi

Dan Logcher

Can Altinbay wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message

>>>"lazrowp" > writes:
>>>
>>>Lack of a specials board or any seasonal items.
>>>

>>This is a big one! One place I go doesn't have the specials board,
>>but often has special items.. so I have to ask if they have them every
>>time.
>>

> At least, the server or itamae-san should tell you on first contact.

This isn't a problem when sitting at the bar, I usually ask what is
fresh anyway. But the waitstaff will never know, and have to go back
and ask the chef and then comeback and try to explain it to me the way
they think I'll understand.. and I know they would hold back things that
they don't think I would want. I've had that happen. They had special
items they didn't tell me about.

>>Being given a spoon with miso soup (small one, since I just don't use it)

> Being a traditionalist, I hate that. I simply take it out and put it down,
> but...

If I'm with my son, 3 years old, I will use it for him. But otherwise it
is just a slight annoyance.

--
Dan

"Musashi" > writes:

> - Asking for something in Japanese and the server isn't Japanese.
> So I have to repeat it in English.

In a sushi bar in the US, I don't think it's essential that
the staff speak Japanese. They need to be able to communicate
with their clients - that's way more important.

Do you expect every server at every Italian restaurant
to speak Italian? Perhaps at the more traditional or
higher-end places, but not everywhere.

I do find it a little annoying to not necessarily
know before hand if I can expect a traditional,
japanese-run sushi place or if a given sushi place
is americanized or korean-run or whatnot. But
"sushi" seems no longer to mean specifically Japanese,
but, rather, any place serving certain foods which
can be called Sushi. There are plenty of brick-oven
pizza places which are in no way Italian, so, too,
are there plenty of sushi places which aren't Japanese.
These things happen. I don't expect the server at,
say, Bertucci's to speak Italian or for all the
dishes to be traditional. I don't expect the sushi
at Mr. Sushi (local Korean-run place) to be all
traditional, nor for the servers there to speak Japanese.

I do, however, expect servers in both places to speak
English.

For those who get upset when the server doesn't
speak Japanese - look at the menu. If it's got
bibimbap and kimchi on it, don't expect to speak
Japanese to your server. And if you start naming
items in Japanese and they don't know what you mean,
plan on pointing at things in the menu.

If you want Japanese-speaking servers and all the
amenities we have talked about here, plan on spending
a little more and finding a higher-end Japanese-run
traditional sushi bar. Chances are that Joe's Sushi
on the corner is not it.

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
Anonymouse

when I order sashimi, nigiri, and maki... and the sushi comes first.

--
"But to live outside the law, you must be honest"
Bob Dylan - Absolutely Sweet Marie - 1966
James Silverton

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

I was refering to some high-end places where I get greeted at the
entrance in Japanese,
if I pass the counter the Itamae may say irrashaimase, then when I
start to order
the server doesn't speak Japanese. Sounds like a strange scenario
doesn't it?
Try Hatsuana in New York City for lunch sometime.

All the sushi restaurants that I eat in around here greet me in
Japanese, at least that's what I think they are doing (g), as does the
chef when I leave. It is accompanied by mutual nodding and I find it
quaint and pleasant but I speak no Japanese and, sitting at a table in
the US, I expect the waitresses to adequately understand my English if
the restaurant expects me to return. I have generally found that the
waitresses seem to understand Japanese-looking customers but that
doesn't matter to me.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Musashi

"James Silverton" > wrote in message =
>=20
> "Musashi" > wrote in message=20
> . com...
>=20
> I was refering to some high-end places where I get greeted at the=20
> entrance in Japanese,
> if I pass the counter the Itamae may say irrashaimase, then when I=20
> start to order
> the server doesn't speak Japanese. Sounds like a strange scenario=20
> doesn't it?
> Try Hatsuana in New York City for lunch sometime.
>=20
> All the sushi restaurants that I eat in around here greet me in=20
> Japanese, at least that's what I think they are doing (g), as does the =

> chef when I leave. It is accompanied by mutual nodding and I find it=20
> quaint and pleasant but I speak no Japanese and, sitting at a table in =

> the US, I expect the waitresses to adequately understand my English if =

> the restaurant expects me to return. I have generally found that the=20
> waitresses seem to understand Japanese-looking customers but that=20
> doesn't matter to me.
>=20

Yes, that is basically "normal" and expected.

Art

My peeves:

When "spicy sauce" is just that.. straight hot sauce. I prefer spicy mayo.

When I'm served a spoon with my soup. (Also in Chinese restaurants, when
everyone else is eating with chopsticks, and the server gives me a fork).

Places that price the a la carte nigiri by the piece, instead of by the pair.

Lack of a daily specials board.

When the menu describes the sushi deluxe as (for example) "12 nigiris and a
California roll" without describing what the 12 nigiris are. (Gee, if I had
known I was going to get 4 each of whitefish, tuna, and salmon, I wouldv'e
ordered a la carte instead).

Having to eat a California roll (unless it's the hot scallop topped California
roll at Midori in Sherman Oaks, California. Heaven!)

When they don't have uni on the menu.

When the saba is lousy. (Strongly pickled).

Lack of natto maki (I like it, but not many places serve it).

Getting charged for green tea.

Being with someone who lacks the basic sushi etiquette (using a fork and knife
- gah!, putting ginger on every piece, drowning their pieces in soy sauce)

There's probably more, but I'm already complaining enough as it is.

--Art
Ken Blake

In ups.com,
lazrowp > typed:

> Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are
> in a
> Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific
> order):

As far I can see, nobody has yet mentioned my single biggest
peeve: having specials listed in Japanese, but not in English
(presumably because they are things they think that Westerners
won't eat.)

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Can Altinbay

"Art" > wrote in message
> My peeves:
>
> When "spicy sauce" is just that.. straight hot sauce. I prefer spicy mayo.
>
> When I'm served a spoon with my soup. (Also in Chinese restaurants, when
> everyone else is eating with chopsticks, and the server gives me a fork).

Places that have forks waiting for you at the table.
(In many Chinese restaurants, you have to ask two or three times for
chopsticks!)

> Places that price the a la carte nigiri by the piece, instead of by the

pair.

> Lack of a daily specials board.
>
> When the menu describes the sushi deluxe as (for example) "12 nigiris and

> California roll" without describing what the 12 nigiris are. (Gee, if I

had
> known I was going to get 4 each of whitefish, tuna, and salmon, I wouldv'e
> ordered a la carte instead).
>
> Having to eat a California roll (unless it's the hot scallop topped

California
> roll at Midori in Sherman Oaks, California. Heaven!)

I won't order combinations with Ca. rolls, unless they are willing to
substitute. Some places do. Boo hiss to those that don't.

> When they don't have uni on the menu.
>
> When the saba is lousy. (Strongly pickled).
>
> Lack of natto maki (I like it, but not many places serve it).
>
> Getting charged for green tea.

I hate that. I've even been charged for green tea TEABAGS!
Getting charged for the hot towels. Not getting hot towels at all.

> Being with someone who lacks the basic sushi etiquette (using a fork and

knife
> - gah!, putting ginger on every piece, drowning their pieces in soy sauce)
>
> There's probably more, but I'm already complaining enough as it is.

Oh, go for it.

> --Art

Can Altinbay

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

- Asking for something in Japanese, the server IS Japanese and still doesn't
know what I'm talking about because he/she doesn't know sushi terminology.
This is far more infuriating than the former.

At least in Tokyo and Yokohama, they aren't weirded out any more when a
henna gaijin like me speaks to them in perfect Japanese. It used to be a
problem, especially when they hear you, look at you, then conclude that they
didn't understand what you said.

(Of course, when I was much younger, there was a gaijin speaking impeccable
Japanese at a record store. I approached him and said, "Nihongo ojouzu
desune.")

Can Altinbay

> wrote in message
> "Musashi" > writes:
>
> > - Asking for something in Japanese and the server isn't Japanese.
> > So I have to repeat it in English.

> In a sushi bar in the US, I don't think it's essential that
> the staff speak Japanese. They need to be able to communicate
> with their clients - that's way more important.

Of course, if Musashi-san is in a Japanese restaurant in Japan and the help
doesn't understand Japanese...
I'd be VERY annoyed, too.

Can Altinbay

> wrote in message
> "Musashi" > writes:
>
> > - Asking for something in Japanese and the server isn't Japanese.
> > So I have to repeat it in English.

> In a sushi bar in the US, I don't think it's essential that
> the staff speak Japanese. They need to be able to communicate
> with their clients - that's way more important.
>
> Do you expect every server at every Italian restaurant
> to speak Italian? Perhaps at the more traditional or
> higher-end places, but not everywhere.
>
> I do find it a little annoying to not necessarily
> know before hand if I can expect a traditional,
> japanese-run sushi place or if a given sushi place
> is americanized or korean-run or whatnot. But
> "sushi" seems no longer to mean specifically Japanese,
> but, rather, any place serving certain foods which
> can be called Sushi. There are plenty of brick-oven
> pizza places which are in no way Italian, so, too,
> are there plenty of sushi places which aren't Japanese.
> These things happen. I don't expect the server at,
> say, Bertucci's to speak Italian or for all the
> dishes to be traditional. I don't expect the sushi
> at Mr. Sushi (local Korean-run place) to be all
> traditional, nor for the servers there to speak Japanese.
>
> I do, however, expect servers in both places to speak
> English.
>
> For those who get upset when the server doesn't
> speak Japanese - look at the menu. If it's got
> bibimbap and kimchi on it, don't expect to speak
> Japanese to your server. And if you start naming
> items in Japanese and they don't know what you mean,
> plan on pointing at things in the menu.

I can usually tell when a Japanese restaurant is not run by Japanese. The
ones runs by Koreans that I've been to have had great food. You can usually
tell because they have yakiniku on the menu, and often even kimchee. And
the staff is speaking a non-Japanese Asian language. The places with
bibimbap usually call themselves Korean, but there is a place here in Indy
which does not. I've been there for lunch twice and have ordered the one
Korean lunch special both times. I think their Japanese food is probably
good, but the Korean food is so good, I can't bear to try anything else. By
the way, of 3 Korean places in the neighborhood (I think the town has one
other place), this one serves the best Korean food.

> If you want Japanese-speaking servers and all the
> amenities we have talked about here, plan on spending
> a little more and finding a higher-end Japanese-run
> traditional sushi bar. Chances are that Joe's Sushi
> on the corner is not it.

Finding great sushi is not at all easy. My wife and I have been spoiled by
Mori in Denver. To begin with, most "Japanese" restaurants in Indy are
teppanyaki joints. So far, the best I had was at Tokyo Joe's (not the
chain), owned by a Singaporan and whose itamae-san is Chinese.

> --
> Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.
> No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
> Are you posting responses that are easy for others to follow?
> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting

Can Altinbay

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In ups.com,
> lazrowp > typed:
>
> > Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> > restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are
> > in a
> > Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific
> > order):

> As far I can see, nobody has yet mentioned my single biggest
> peeve: having specials listed in Japanese, but not in English
> (presumably because they are things they think that Westerners
> won't eat.)

This is more common in Chinese restaurants. Often, you won't even know that
there IS an alternate menu. If I find it out, I will ask. Of course, I
have that advantage that I read Japanese, so I can get an idea of what it
might be by looking at the characters.

At Sunny China Cafe in Denver, I spotted one of my favorites - spicy beef
soup. The waiter told us he doesn't usually recommend it to people like us,
but we insisted. Yum. Hadn't had it since moving back to Denver from the
San Francisco area.

Can Altinbay

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message

> But I hear ya.. Chinese restaurants do that, have Chinese only
> menus. I recently went there to get take out after having a
> great meal with my wife's family and one of them read the Chinese
> menu and ordered.. so I ordered that off the English menu from
> home and it wasn't the dish.
>
> --
> Dan

Sometimes if you are having a late lunch, they'll set a large table with
stuff that's not on the menu for the help to eat. I've sometimes felt like
asking for some of that.

Dan Logcher

Can Altinbay wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>But I hear ya.. Chinese restaurants do that, have Chinese only
>>menus. I recently went there to get take out after having a
>>great meal with my wife's family and one of them read the Chinese
>>menu and ordered.. so I ordered that off the English menu from
>>home and it wasn't the dish.
>>

> Sometimes if you are having a late lunch, they'll set a large table with
> stuff that's not on the menu for the help to eat. I've sometimes felt like
> asking for some of that.

I've seen this too.. and it does look good.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Can Altinbay wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>But I hear ya.. Chinese restaurants do that, have Chinese only
>>menus. I recently went there to get take out after having a
>>great meal with my wife's family and one of them read the Chinese
>>menu and ordered.. so I ordered that off the English menu from
>>home and it wasn't the dish.
>>

> Sometimes if you are having a late lunch, they'll set a large table with
> stuff that's not on the menu for the help to eat. I've sometimes felt like
> asking for some of that.

I've seen this too.. and it does look good.

--
Dan
Ken Blake

In ,
Dan Logcher > typed:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> In ups.com,
>> lazrowp > typed:
>>

>>>Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
>>>restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you
>>>are
>>>in a
>>>Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific
>>>order):

>> As far I can see, nobody has yet mentioned my single biggest
>> peeve: having specials listed in Japanese, but not in English
>> (presumably because they are things they think that Westerners
>> won't eat.)

> Most places that have specials boards are in English or both..

That's probably true, but nevertheless *some* do it just in
Japanese, and I hate it.

> But I hear ya.. Chinese restaurants do that, have Chinese only
> menus. I recently went there to get take out after having a
> great meal with my wife's family and one of them read the
> Chinese
> menu and ordered.. so I ordered that off the English menu from
> home and it wasn't the dish.

I used to go a Chinese Restaurant here in Tucson (now closed)
that had two separate menus--one in English, the other in
Chinese--with different things on them. One evening I took the
Chinese menu home with me and mailed it to my sister-in-law, who
is Chinese. She translated it, wrote in the English names and
mailed it back to me. From then on, whenever I went to the place,
I brought my own menu.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In link.net,
Can Altinbay > typed:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
>> In ups.com,
>> lazrowp > typed:
>>
>> > Most readers in this group have been to @ least several
>> > sushi
>> > restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you
>> > are
>> > in a
>> > Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any
>> > specific
>> > order):

>> As far I can see, nobody has yet mentioned my single biggest
>> peeve: having specials listed in Japanese, but not in English
>> (presumably because they are things they think that Westerners
>> won't eat.)
>>

> This is more common in Chinese restaurants.

True, but it happens in Japanese restaurants too.

> Often, you won't even
> know that there IS an alternate menu.

True, but sometimes specials are written on signs posted on the
wall, so it's obvious. I also sometimes ask if there's a special
menu, because if I'm lucky it will be in both languages.

> If I find it out, I will ask.
> Of course, I have that advantage that I read Japanese, so I can
> get
> an idea of what it might be by looking at the characters.
>
> At Sunny China Cafe in Denver, I spotted one of my favorites -
> spicy
> beef soup. The waiter told us he doesn't usually recommend it
> people like us, but we insisted.

Reminds me of the time I ate in a small Indian restaurant in NYC.
I ordered a particular curry and the waiter said, "No, that's too
spicy for you." The conversation went something like this:

"That's OK. I like spicy food."

"But this is very spicy. Only Indians can eat it."

"No, I can eat it too."

"I can't give it to you. You'll want me to take it back and I
won't be able to."

"It's OK. Just bring it."

"No, I can't."

"BRING IT AND MAKE IT EXTRA SPICY!"

He did. It was tough, but I finished it all.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Musashi

"Can Altinbay" > wrote in message =
nk.net...
> > wrote in message
> > "Musashi" > writes:
> >
> > > - Asking for something in Japanese and the server isn't Japanese.
> > > So I have to repeat it in English.

> > In a sushi bar in the US, I don't think it's essential that
> > the staff speak Japanese. They need to be able to communicate
> > with their clients - that's way more important.
> >

>=20
> Of course, if Musashi-san is in a Japanese restaurant in Japan and the =

help
> doesn't understand Japanese...
> I'd be VERY annoyed, too.
>=20
>=20

Just for kicks...
Imagine if you are in Tokyo, and go to an "American Diner-style =
Restaurant", where the American hostess greets you, you pass through the =
place and can hear English being spoken by the
short order cooks behind the counter area, you sit down and the server =
appears and you start to
place your order and the server turns out to be Rumanian and doesn't =
speak any English.
Wouldn't you consider this to be a weird experience?

Musashi

"Can Altinbay" > wrote in message =
nk.net...
> > wrote in message
> > "Musashi" > writes:
> >
> > > - Asking for something in Japanese and the server isn't Japanese.
> > > So I have to repeat it in English.

> > In a sushi bar in the US, I don't think it's essential that
> > the staff speak Japanese. They need to be able to communicate
> > with their clients - that's way more important.
> >

>=20
> Of course, if Musashi-san is in a Japanese restaurant in Japan and the =

help
> doesn't understand Japanese...
> I'd be VERY annoyed, too.
>=20
>=20

Just for kicks...
Imagine if you are in Tokyo, and go to an "American Diner-style =
Restaurant", where the American hostess greets you, you pass through the =
place and can hear English being spoken by the
short order cooks behind the counter area, you sit down and the server =
appears and you start to
place your order and the server turns out to be Rumanian and doesn't =
speak any English.
Wouldn't you consider this to be a weird experience?

Can Altinbay

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message

> Reminds me of the time I ate in a small Indian restaurant in NYC.
> I ordered a particular curry and the waiter said, "No, that's too
> spicy for you." The conversation went something like this:

> Ken Blake

Years ago, I had pretty much the same experience at an Indian place in
Hollywood. He kept repeating, "Ser pliz, you do not want it that hot."

Bringing it back to the Orient, Chinese restaurants are the biggest
purveyors of unspicy "hot" food. I ask for extra spicy, and I get bland way
too often. And no, having extra red peppers on the side does not work.

Can Altinbay

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message

> Reminds me of the time I ate in a small Indian restaurant in NYC.
> I ordered a particular curry and the waiter said, "No, that's too
> spicy for you." The conversation went something like this:

> Ken Blake

Years ago, I had pretty much the same experience at an Indian place in
Hollywood. He kept repeating, "Ser pliz, you do not want it that hot."

Bringing it back to the Orient, Chinese restaurants are the biggest
purveyors of unspicy "hot" food. I ask for extra spicy, and I get bland way
too often. And no, having extra red peppers on the side does not work.

Musashi

"Can Altinbay" > wrote in message =
nk.net...
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> om...
>=20
> - Asking for something in Japanese, the server IS Japanese and still =

doesn't
> know what I'm talking about because he/she doesn't know sushi =

terminology.
> This is far more infuriating than the former.
>=20
>=20
> At least in Tokyo and Yokohama, they aren't weirded out any more when =

> henna gaijin like me speaks to them in perfect Japanese. It used to =

be a
> problem, especially when they hear you, look at you, then conclude =

that they
> didn't understand what you said.
>=20

Yes that is something that has changed and continues to change.
With more non-Japanese celebrities, such as Thane Camus and Dave Spector
appearing on TV speaking totally fluent Japanese, the old stereotype
that "foreigners don't speak Japanese" is dissappearing. Which is a good =
thing.

> (Of course, when I was much younger, there was a gaijin speaking =

impeccable
> Japanese at a record store. I approached him and said, "Nihongo =

ojouzu
> desune.")
>=20

And he said...Hai, watashi wa furansujin desukara nande mo jouzu desu?
LOL

Musashi

"Can Altinbay" > wrote in message =
nk.net...
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> om...
>=20
> - Asking for something in Japanese, the server IS Japanese and still =

doesn't
> know what I'm talking about because he/she doesn't know sushi =

terminology.
> This is far more infuriating than the former.
>=20
>=20
> At least in Tokyo and Yokohama, they aren't weirded out any more when =

> henna gaijin like me speaks to them in perfect Japanese. It used to =

be a
> problem, especially when they hear you, look at you, then conclude =

that they
> didn't understand what you said.
>=20

Yes that is something that has changed and continues to change.
With more non-Japanese celebrities, such as Thane Camus and Dave Spector
appearing on TV speaking totally fluent Japanese, the old stereotype
that "foreigners don't speak Japanese" is dissappearing. Which is a good =
thing.

> (Of course, when I was much younger, there was a gaijin speaking =

impeccable
> Japanese at a record store. I approached him and said, "Nihongo =

ojouzu
> desune.")
>=20

And he said...Hai, watashi wa furansujin desukara nande mo jouzu desu?
LOL

Musashi

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message =
> In ups.com,
> lazrowp > typed:
>=20
> > Most readers in this group have been to @ least several sushi
> > restaurants. I am curious about your "pet peeves" when you are=20
> > in a
> > Japanese sushi restaurant. My short-list (not in any specific=20
> > order):

>=20
>=20
> As far I can see, nobody has yet mentioned my single biggest=20
> peeve: having specials listed in Japanese, but not in English=20
> (presumably because they are things they think that Westerners=20
> won't eat.)
>=20

Yes that would be quite irritating.
I have never seen that though. In my favorite place the specials are =
listed on a little
board on the table and one side is in Japanese and the other side is in =
English.
One thing I can say from having been to alot of Japanese restaurants is =
that if
the specials aren't written anywhere in English, the possible reason =
that
they didn't have anyone with enough confidence or capability to =
translate it properly
is right up there with their assumption that the items would not be of =
interest to
a non-Japanese crowd. These days, the latter reason is hardly valid =
since a great many
Americans including non-Japanese Americans of Asian decent know enough =
about
Japanese foods that it would not be in the restarant's interest to not =
have the specials
listed in English.

Musashi