Arroz

Default NY Times article: Sushi Rice grown in CA

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/08/dining/08RICE.html

Sushi Rice, California's New Gold Rush By KAY RENTSCHLER
Published: October 8, 2003

snip ...

"The California rice industry is a stunning, rebellious success. From a
hardscrabble start-up bolstered by government subsidies in the 1930's,
it has become a $500 million industry that is second only to Thailand
in exports of premium rice.

The 500,000-odd semi-arid acres in the Sacramento Valley make up
a microclimate, one of three in the world, where japonica rice flourishes
(the others are in Japan and Australia)."

snip

And a lot of other info about harvesting, storing, milling, research,
packaging, etc..

--
Sent by xanadoof from yahoo piece from com
Blair P. Houghton

Arroz > wrote:
>Sushi Rice, California's New Gold Rush By KAY RENTSCHLER

Gold rush?

>"The California rice industry is a stunning, rebellious success. From a
>hardscrabble start-up bolstered by government subsidies in the 1930's,
>it has become a $500 million industry that is second only to Thailand
>in exports of premium rice.

$500 million/year wouldn't cover the gold in Californians' teeth.

--Blair
"More like a hype rush."
Sam Salmon

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 19:44:53 GMT,
(Arroz) wrote:

http://nytimes.com/2003/10/08/dining/08RICE.html

>Sushi Rice, California's New Gold Rush By KAY RENTSCHLER
>Published: October 8, 2003
>
>snip ...
>
>"The California rice industry is a stunning, rebellious success. From a
>hardscrabble start-up bolstered by government subsidies in the 1930's,
>it has become a $500 million industry that is second only to Thailand
>in exports of premium rice.
>
>The 500,000-odd semi-arid acres in the Sacramento Valley make up
>a microclimate, one of three in the world, where japonica rice flourishes
>(the others are in Japan and Australia)."
>
>snip
>
>And a lot of other info about harvesting, storing, milling, research,
>packaging, etc..

Without Governmant subsidies in the form of cheap water they couldn't
grow weeds in that alkaline desert-it's all hype and bull.
Gerry

In article >, Sam Salmon
> wrote:

> >"The California rice industry is a stunning, rebellious success. From a
> >hardscrabble start-up bolstered by government subsidies in the 1930's,
> >it has become a $500 million industry that is second only to Thailand
> >in exports of premium rice.
> >
> >The 500,000-odd semi-arid acres in the Sacramento Valley make up
> >a microclimate, one of three in the world, where japonica rice flourishes
> >(the others are in Japan and Australia)."
> >
> >snip
> >
> >And a lot of other info about harvesting, storing, milling, research,
> >packaging, etc..
> >

> Without Governmant subsidies in the form of cheap water they couldn't
> grow weeds in that alkaline desert-it's all hype and bull.

They get a sweet deal from the gov, as many (most?) large corporate and
agricultural entities do, then they grow the rice in the desert.

I'm unsure what is the "hype and bull" part...

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
James Silverton

"Gerry" > wrote in message
d...
> In article >, Sam Salmon
> > wrote:
>> > Without Governmant subsidies in the form of cheap water they couldn't

> > grow weeds in that alkaline desert-it's all hype and bull.

> They get a sweet deal from the gov, as many (most?) large corporate and
> agricultural entities do, then they grow the rice in the desert.

California does seem an unlikely place to grow rice when it is also grown
successfully in East Texas/Louisiana which would seem to have a much more
suitable climate. The subject of rice cultivation is interesting and, given
its long history, it is not surprising that there are many cultivated
varieties of oryza sativa. The following quote from
http://www.fao.org/docrep/x2184e/x2184e03.htm
gives some background information that I found enlightening.
Rice

The second most abundant cereal crop originated in the Indian subcontinent
and Africa. Today, 90 percent of the world rice crop is grown in Asia
(FAO,1996). Alexander the Great is credited with introducing rice to Europe
around 300 BC. Growing rice requires more water than other cereal crops,
although rice is a highly productive crop. There are several thousand rice
cultivars which may differ in color, aroma and grain size. The main
commercial distinction between rice types is the grain size, i.e. long,
medium and short. Long grain rice, also called "Indian", tends to separate
relatively easily on cooking and is dry and flakey. Short grain rice, also
called "Japanese" is sticky, moist and firm when cooked. Unlike wheat, rice
is most often consumed as grain rather than as a flour. Different grades of
milling include brown rice (hull removed), unpolished rice (hull, bran and
most of germ removed), and polished rice (aleurone layer removed from
unpolished rice). Since polishing removes most of the lipid, the latter
product is relatively stable during storage. The discovery that rice bran
can alleviate beriberi led to the discovery of the vitamin thiamine. The
traditional technique of parboiling rice in India and Pakistan (also called
"converted rice") prior to milling improves the nutritional quality of the
grain by allowing the B vitamins in the bran and germ to diffuse into the
endosperm.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

LA Times article on brisket Dora General Cooking 2 10-04-2009 08:20 PM
9/13 New York Times Article Phyll Tea 2 14-09-2006 09:47 AM
Interesting article from the NY Times Karen AKA Kajikit General Cooking 1 09-08-2005 06:46 PM
NY Times Article on the Tea Business Warren C. Liebold Tea 0 17-10-2004 12:33 PM
NY Times article on sushi Art Sushi 0 27-05-2004 06:52 PM