Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Cheap sushi

Much have been said about quality. How about delicious low end
sushi? People don't always eat high on the hog. Sow's ears, pig
snouts, head cheese, etc. become great meals. I can enjoy chuck
steaks as much as a T-bone. So any interest in the cheap stuff?

I would think it may be easier if one learns to make good egg sushi
before going on to the fish.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Much have been said about quality. How about delicious low
> end
> sushi? People don't always eat high on the hog. Sow's ears,
> pig
> snouts, head cheese, etc. become great meals. I can enjoy
> chuck
> steaks as much as a T-bone. So any interest in the cheap
> stuff?
>
> I would think it may be easier if one learns to make good egg
> sushi
> before going on to the fish.

Cooked things like omelet, fried tofu and octopus do make good
sushi but without high grade tuna, salmon, red snapper, surf
clams etc., it's not worth the trouble, IMHO. I wouldn't go out
of my way for the cooked stuff alone. I don't mention eel
because I still don't like it after trying occasionally for more
than 20 years even if, as I am told, there are special
restaurants just for that in Japan.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sep 2, 1:34 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> "James" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Much have been said about quality. How about delicious low
> > end
> > sushi? People don't always eat high on the hog. Sow's ears,
> > pig
> > snouts, head cheese, etc. become great meals. I can enjoy
> > chuck
> > steaks as much as a T-bone. So any interest in the cheap
> > stuff?

> > I would think it may be easier if one learns to make good egg
> > sushi
> > before going on to the fish.

> Cooked things like omelet, fried tofu and octopus do make good
> sushi but without high grade tuna, salmon, red snapper, surf
> clams etc., it's not worth the trouble, IMHO. I wouldn't go out
> of my way for the cooked stuff alone. I don't mention eel
> because I still don't like it after trying occasionally for more
> than 20 years even if, as I am told, there are special
> restaurants just for that in Japan.
>
> --
> Jim Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

I like eel because of the sweet sauce some places have available.
Without the sauce it's not that good. I guess I just have a sweet
tooth because I mix sweetner and coke with the soy sauce.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-02 10:22:40 -0700, James > said:

> Much have been said about quality. How about delicious low end
> sushi? People don't always eat high on the hog. Sow's ears, pig
> snouts, head cheese, etc. become great meals. I can enjoy chuck
> steaks as much as a T-bone. So any interest in the cheap stuff?
>
> I would think it may be easier if one learns to make good egg sushi
> before going on to the fish.

I look for good food. Sometimes it's inexpensive, sometimes it isn't. I
can find "cheap food" very easily almost any time. But running down
cheap food frequently gets dull food, repetitive food and lots and lots
of deep-fried food. And I'd guess (very roughly) that about 1 third of
it sucks.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-02 10:34:06 -0700, "James Silverton"
> said:

> I wouldn't go out of my way for the cooked stuff alone.

When the "cooked stuff" includes the myriad izakaya items, steamed
foods, grilled foods, skewered foods, soups, and so forth, I have to
admit: I go out of myway for the cooked stuff alone. That's because
almost everybody has quality sushi. Not everybody, but MOST everybody.
Then the masters are the ones that have lots of fresh fish, and do lots
of interesting cooked foods.

My drill for many years now has been to start with sashimi of various
kinds, then go to cooked foods. If the itamae has some really great
fish he wants to give me nigirizushi though, I never turn it down.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-02 13:14:37 -0700, James > said:

> I like eel because of the sweet sauce some places have available.
> Without the sauce it's not that good. I guess I just have a sweet
> tooth because I mix sweetner and coke with the soy sauce.

I ran into a place that had batera on the chalkboard. That's saba
pressed into sweet rice. Then they had something I've never seen
before, eel in a batera configuration. Very curious. Hopefully by
this time next week, I'll have tried it.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote on Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:53:16 -0700:

??>> I wouldn't go out of my way for the cooked stuff alone.

G> When the "cooked stuff" includes the myriad izakaya items,
G> steamed foods, grilled foods, skewered foods, soups, and so
G> forth, I have to admit: I go out of myway for the cooked
stuff
G> alone. That's because almost everybody has quality sushi.
G> Not everybody, but MOST everybody. Then the masters are the
G> ones that have lots of fresh fish, and do lots of
G> interesting cooked foods.

I don't disagree with you really. I was discussing sushi, where
only a few cooked items interest me, not Japanese food in
general which I like a lot! As a prelude to a meal I might have
sushi but for me sushi is usually a lunch food. I will reiterate
that, despite all you enthusiasts, I do not like eel!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-03 07:22:31 -0700, "James Silverton"
> said:

> Gerry wrote on Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:53:16 -0700:
>
> ??>> I wouldn't go out of my way for the cooked stuff alone.
>
> G> When the "cooked stuff" includes the myriad izakaya items,
> G> steamed foods, grilled foods, skewered foods, soups, and so
> G> forth, I have to admit: I go out of myway for the cooked stuff
> G> alone. That's because almost everybody has quality sushi.
> G> Not everybody, but MOST everybody. Then the masters are the
> G> ones that have lots of fresh fish, and do lots of
> G> interesting cooked foods.
>
> I don't disagree with you really. I was discussing sushi, where only a
> few cooked items interest me, not Japanese food in general which I like
> a lot! As a prelude to a meal I might have sushi but for me sushi is
> usually a lunch food. I will reiterate that, despite all you
> enthusiasts, I do not like eel!

It's been a long time since I sat down to a selection of sushi for
lunch but I really love it that-a-way. For dinner It's a rarity,
unless a sushi chef is eager for me to try a specific fish that is hard
to come buy, just came in an hour ago or something. I never argue with
a chef's but if know me, they know that I don't order sushi often.
Sometimes just to finish a meal when my wife is done but I have a
little more desire.

Eel has never been something I've been a big fan of. Sure I like it
well enough, but *any* sweet sauce is usually an imaginary barrier for
me. I'm a savory guy. While I know that eel is somewhere in between it
just doesn't beckon as much as saba, ankimo, and shell fish.
--
///---