Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Shrimp Sauce or other dipping or "drizzle" sauces.

Quite often, I have rolls that have a sauce drizzled over them in a
beautiful display and also adding a wonderful taste to the roll
sections.

Does anyone here have any recipes for sauces they've made and used for
similar purposes?

I can't eat very spicy foods, but mildly spicy is ok.

One place I go has a "Shrimp Sauce" that is really, really good. It's
a creamy sauce that has a mayo type consistency and a slightly spicy
flavor. They drizzle it lightly over the face of the pieces of roll.

I asked, and they buy it in bulk.

I would like to make my own for this purpose.

P.S. My sushi freezer shipped yesterday!!! Yeah!!!!!!
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Aug 17, 12:52 pm, The Fisherman > wrote:
> Quite often, I have rolls that have a sauce drizzled over them in a
> beautiful display and also adding a wonderful taste to the roll
> sections.
>
> Does anyone here have any recipes for sauces they've made and used for
> similar purposes?

With the spammer that's posting all the MI crap, I thought perhaps no
one saw my post. I found a recipe on the net:

Japanese Shrimp Sauce

This is the shrimp sauce found in Japanese steakhouses. It is sweet
and pinkish-orangish in color. You can substitute fat-free mayo,
butter, and 0-calorie sugar, and it still tastes great.

yield:
1 1/4 cups

INGREDIENTS

1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons melted butter
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/8 teaspoon garlic powder

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, white sugar, rice vinegar, melted
butter, paprika and garlic powder. Mix well, cover and refrigerate.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-08-22 08:56:36 -0700, John Doe > said:

> With the spammer that's posting all the MI crap, I thought perhaps no
> one saw my post.

That's the best argument there is for a dedicated newsreader program.
Windows: Agent, Mac: Unison.

I knew there was something going on because I saw 10 messages, but when
I opened the group, nothing in it. I had to use another program to
find out what was going on.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Newsreaders are a mystery to me. I just access this thing through
google group and it's on my Bookmarks. That's the only way I know how
to access it. Yeah, the M15 dude is trashing the place now, but there
have been plenty of other spammers. Is there no defense against this?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Aug 22, 3:28 pm, Gerry > wrote:
> On 2007-08-22 08:56:36 -0700, John Doe > said:
>
> > With the spammer that's posting all the MI crap, I thought perhaps no
> > one saw my post.

> That's the best argument there is for a dedicated newsreader program.
> Windows: Agent, Mac: Unison.
>
> I knew there was something going on because I saw 10 messages, but when
> I opened the group, nothing in it. I had to use another program to
> find out what was going on.

I use "Agent" at home, but at work, I have no access to one. I have to
use Google Groups.

Agent is a very adaptable program.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

OK, I downloaded Thunderbird. It's free, Agent ain't. Now what? I
don't know how to work it. It looks like it's some sort of gadget for
email. Like how do I get here on it?

What's the word?
Thunderbird
How's it sold?
Good and cold
What's the jive?
Bird's alive
What's the price?
Thirty twice

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Thanks, Buddy, but i don't know why I need a special email gadget or a
special newsreader gadget. Maybe people who get thousands of emails
need it, but it works for me to just do the yahoo.com or
groups.google.com if I want to come here. I'm unclear about what's
the difference between something like this sushi discussion forum and
a regular internet discussion forum. Is any human in charge of this
sushi forum? Is anyone able to stop spamming, like the M15 spams, or
say someone were to post personal info about someone else, or make
threats or something. Can that be prevented or removed?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-08-27 20:33:22 -0700, said:

> Thanks, Buddy, but i don't know why I need a special email gadget or a
> special newsreader gadget. Maybe people who get thousands of emails
> need it, but it works for me to just do the yahoo.com or
> groups.google.com if I want to come here. I'm unclear about what's
> the difference between something like this sushi discussion forum and
> a regular internet discussion forum.

I'm unclear on what you're comparing. This sushi discussion forum is a
regular internet discussion forum on usenet. The only reasons I find
for a dedicated newsreader (newsreader gadget?) is to ensure that half
the messages aren't spam, MI5 psychos, anti-semetic screeds and so
forth. Additionally, for me, I can cover 8 or 10 newsgroups in about 5
minutes checking for new posts, don't have to see the columns on both
sides of the dialogues filled with "helpful" visual noise. I can see
the topic headers and only open the ones I want to read and not the
ones I don't, killfile obnoxious participants so I never even know if
they've posted stuff, upload and download files, and perform lots of
sorting options to find an old post, previous posts by a user and so
forth. I can go into the 8 or 10 music newsgroups, a few food groups,
a few travel groups, a few culture groups and be done with a complete
pass in 3 minutes if I don't respond to anything.

I guess that's about all.

> Is any human in charge of this sushi forum?

No.

> Is anyone able to stop spamming...

No.

> ...like the M15 spams, or say someone were to post personal info about
> someone else, or make
> threats or something.

No. If you want a full time hobby you can start a vendetta against
them, using (again) adedicated newsreader to read their complete
headers and sift through their forged headers to find out who their
real ISP is, write to them and complain. Sometimes the target, after
getting a new address or ISP, finds out you're complaining and then you
become their vendetta. It can be done if you don't already have a day
job. Simply kill-filing them or the likely subject matter in a
dedicated newsreader like Agent or Unison is vastly easier.

For instance I didn't even know the MI5 stuff was going on.

> Can that be prevented or removed?

Last time: a dedicated newsreader. That's the service such programs provide.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:07:20 -0700, Gerry >
wrote:

>Last time: a dedicated newsreader. That's the service such programs provide.

<hehe> I use Agent at home, and I can't figure out how to move all
these news reader posts out of my Shrimp Sauce thread.

Hahahahaahahaha

That was fun.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-08-28 16:08:30 -0700, Terrorist Killer > said:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:07:20 -0700, Gerry >
> wrote:
>
>> Last time: a dedicated newsreader. That's the service such programs provide.

> <hehe> I use Agent at home, and I can't figure out how to move all
> these news reader posts out of my Shrimp Sauce thread.
>
> Hahahahaahahaha
>
> That was fun.

Really? You can't figure out kill-filing users in Agent?
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"the only reasons I find
for a dedicated newsreader (newsreader gadget?) is to ensure that half
the messages aren't spam..."

OK, as I thought, I don't need it. I can deal with spam. Big deal.
I don't need a whole nuther program to figure out and clutter up my
computer just to get rid of M15 and co. Likewise for the email
programs. Keep it simple. Everything's already too complicated. By
the way, I was just out by you again, but I wasted my time going to
Todai again (I like the sukiyaki) instead of trying Kasen, etc. But
Pho 79 Hazard is the king of the pho joints!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Aug 28, 9:03 pm, Gerry > wrote:
> On 2007-08-28 16:08:30 -0700, Terrorist Killer > said:
>
> > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:07:20 -0700, Gerry >
> > wrote:

> >> Last time: a dedicated newsreader. That's the service such programs provide.

> > <hehe> I use Agent at home, and I can't figure out how to move all
> > these news reader posts out of my Shrimp Sauce thread.

> > Hahahahaahahaha

> > That was fun.

> Really? You can't figure out kill-filing users in Agent?

I wouldn't want to filter out you and the other 5 members who have
altered the thread topic. I realize that this is a common practice
here in this group.

I was really joking...that's why I included the <hehe> and hahahaha.

Personally, I'd like to see folks start another thread, but it's not
that important to me. This is a pretty laid-back group and I enjoy the
back-and-forth done here.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Personally, I'd like to see folks start another thread..."

You're right. This thread has gone off on a tangent, as usual.

"I've been exploring all the new Vietnamese joints that feature food
from Hué..."

Barf. Congealed blood.

But you live in the world's greatest Asian restaurant neighborhood!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-08-28 22:25:41 -0700, Gerry > said:

> Also a great semi-new place on Fairview named Taka Sushi. Pretty full
> and complete traditional menu with all kinds of interesting stuff.
> Good specials chalkboard with about half of it in Japanese. Always a
> good sign.

Barf. Natto.
--
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

Posted to alt.food.sushi
War War is offline

Gerry wrote:
> On 2007-08-29 09:01:47 -0700, said:
>
>> "Personally, I'd like to see folks start another thread..."
>>
>> You're right. This thread has gone off on a tangent, as usual.
>>
>> "I've been exploring all the new Vietnamese joints that feature food
>> from Hué..."
>>
>> Barf. Congealed blood.

> I know of no congealed blood dishes at any of the Hue joints I've been
> visiting. I thought it was the entire cuisine of Korea you banished due
> to a soup. Or maybe now it's all of Asia? In any case dig this: you
> don't have to eat the foods you don't want to. Otherwise a lot of
> people wouldn't be going to Japanese restaurants barf uni.

Blasphemer! You'll smoke a turd in hell for that!

>> But you live in the world's greatest Asian restaurant neighborhood!

> I understand that Santa Ana is technically the largest concentrated
> Hispanic population in the US.
>
> Barf. One of them ate a pig's foot.

Sounds interesting... got anything strange tho?

I'll try anything once. How else would I have found out how yummy fried
bees are

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Gerry wrote on Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:30:47 -0700:

??>> "Personally, I'd like to see folks start another
??>> thread..."
??>>
??>> You're right. This thread has gone off on a tangent, as
??>> usual.
??>>
??>> "I've been exploring all the new Vietnamese joints that
??>> feature food from Hué..."
??>>
??>> Barf. Congealed blood.

G> I know of no congealed blood dishes at any of the Hue joints
G> I've been visiting. I thought it was the entire cuisine of
G> Korea you banished due to a soup. Or maybe now it's all of
G> Asia? In any case dig this: you don't have to eat the foods
you
G> don't want to. Otherwise a lot of people wouldn't be going
G> to Japanese restaurants barf uni.

??>> But you live in the world's greatest Asian restaurant
??>> neighborhood!

Apart from over-scrupulous thinking about it, what's wrong with
blood in cooking? I suppose some people might not like to have
it for religious reasons but blood sausage is eaten in Europe
(don't the British like "black pudding"?), blood is used in some
French sauces etc.and lot's of people like their steak very
rare!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-08-29 12:51:00 -0700, "James Silverton"
> said:

> Apart from over-scrupulous thinking about it, what's wrong with blood
> in cooking?

Apart from what makes it disgusting? I guess that's about it. Just like
a lot of adults don't want to eat bunnies and sheep, though if you fed
them blind they'd love rabbit and lambchops.

> I suppose some people might not like to have it for religious reasons
> but blood sausage is eaten in Europe (don't the British like "black
> pudding"?), blood is used in some French sauces etc.and lot's of people
> like their steak very rare!

I was reading in a Scandanavian cookbook about Danish blodpudding and
it sounded like it would taste great. Reading about it's preparation?
("Continue to stir constantly so the blood won't congeal") Not so
much. But Mr. wolf, in humor or otherwise, has dismissed a few
cuisines to a purgatory, at least temporarily, because of some
referential aspect.

Like there was a story about a guy who knew somebody what ATE A DOG!!!
So Korean food, BBQ, rice porridge, seafood pancakes, tofu soup and all
get the summary evaluation: Barf: Dog burgers.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I know of no congealed blood dishes at any of the Hue joints I've been
visiting.

--- My only misadventure with Vietnamese Hue's (in)famous bun bo hue
was in your hood in some down home joint I happened upon and in which
I was the only non-Viet. Do you want it with blood?, the waitress
inquired. Yeah sure, said I, being an aficianado of authentic cuisine
and having had blood sausages and some other blood stuff in the past
and they were fine. I did not, however anticipate authentic bun bo
hue. A noodle soup dish loaded with big chunks of congealed blood in
gelatinous mass. I had a go at it, but couldn't handle it. The taste
was horrid. This is one of the very few exotic cuisines that grossed
me out. Perhaps the trick was too put loads of hot sauce on the
chunks of blood, or perhaps, as someone here suggested, the blood
wasn't very fresh. I dunno, but I always associate that dish with Hue
style now.

I thought it was the entire cuisine of Korea you banished
due to a soup.

--- No, I got food poisoning on a camping trip and after that I didn't
seem to be able to digest kim chee, sauerkraut, etc. I think I'm
finally over it.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Aug 30, 12:50 am, Gerry > wrote:
> On 2007-08-29 12:51:00 -0700, "James Silverton"
> > said:
>
> > Apart from over-scrupulous thinking about it, what's wrong with blood
> > in cooking?

> Apart from what makes it disgusting? I guess that's about it. Just like
> a lot of adults don't want to eat bunnies and sheep, though if you fed
> them blind they'd love rabbit and lambchops.
>
> > I suppose some people might not like to have it for religious reasons
> > but blood sausage is eaten in Europe (don't the British like "black
> > pudding"?), blood is used in some French sauces etc.and lot's of people
> > like their steak very rare!

> I was reading in a Scandanavian cookbook about Danish blodpudding and
> it sounded like it would taste great. Reading about it's preparation?
> ("Continue to stir constantly so the blood won't congeal") Not so
> much. But Mr. wolf, in humor or otherwise, has dismissed a few
> cuisines to a purgatory, at least temporarily, because of some
> referential aspect.
>
> Like there was a story about a guy who knew somebody what ATE A DOG!!!
> So Korean food, BBQ, rice porridge, seafood pancakes, tofu soup and all
> get the summary evaluation: Barf: Dog burgers.

About 20 years ago, I was shown an article written by, of all things,
a Veterinarian. The article was explaining that dog was actually a
very healthy, nutritious and tasty thing to eat.

I will tell you that at the time, I thought that a veterinarian who
would write such a thing stuck me pretty funny. Why would a person who
is entrusted with the care and well-being of all animals would say
such a thing?

Of course, Vets take care of chickens, cows and pigs too. They also
eat them.

In many countries, dogs are seen as lots of things other than as
domestic pets.

In the 1970's, I had an occasion to eat dog that was served by a
Korean family to me as a guest in their home.

At the moment I was eating it, I was unaware that it was dog. It was
served in a meat salad much like kimche, but with meat added.

The kimche was fresh, not fermented, and as lots of Korean dishes, it
was pretty spicy. The flavor of the dog was pleasant and light. The
texture was a tight grained meat with almost no fat, no gristle and
very tender.

It reminded me of a center cut pork chop in flavor and texture.

Lots of people keep horses as pets also, but they can be bought in
many countries as food as well. When I was in Germany, it was
available in butcher shops for human consumption.

Bunnies. Millions of bunnies are kept as pets by children and some
adults. I love eating bunnies.

I'm rather surprised that folks in a group for sushi would have an
aversion to eating unusual foods. Sushi itself has many, many unusual
items included in it's fare.

Now, don't get me wrong. I won't be going to anyone's house,
scratching poochie behind the ears and slicing it's throat. But if dog
were available as a meat in my country, I'd eat it once in awhile.
It's good.

Eaten much the same as Kobe beef is, I can imagine that many of you
would like it.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-01 06:40:50 -0700, John Doe > said:

> On Aug 30, 12:50 am, Gerry > wrote:
>> On 2007-08-29 12:51:00 -0700, "James Silverton"
>> > said:
>>
>>> Apart from over-scrupulous thinking about it, what's wrong with blood
>>> in cooking?

>> Apart from what makes it disgusting? I guess that's about it. Just like
>> a lot of adults don't want to eat bunnies and sheep, though if you fed
>> them blind they'd love rabbit and lambchops.
>>
>>> I suppose some people might not like to have it for religious reasons
>>> but blood sausage is eaten in Europe (don't the British like "black
>>> pudding"?), blood is used in some French sauces etc.and lot's of people
>>> like their steak very rare!

>> I was reading in a Scandanavian cookbook about Danish blodpudding and
>> it sounded like it would taste great. Reading about it's preparation?
>> ("Continue to stir constantly so the blood won't congeal") Not so
>> much. But Mr. wolf, in humor or otherwise, has dismissed a few
>> cuisines to a purgatory, at least temporarily, because of some
>> referential aspect.
>>
>> Like there was a story about a guy who knew somebody what ATE A DOG!!!
>> So Korean food, BBQ, rice porridge, seafood pancakes, tofu soup and all
>> get the summary evaluation: Barf: Dog burgers.

> About 20 years ago, I was shown an article written by, of all things,
> a Veterinarian. The article was explaining that dog was actually a
> very healthy, nutritious and tasty thing to eat.
>
> I will tell you that at the time, I thought that a veterinarian who
> would write such a thing stuck me pretty funny. Why would a person who
> is entrusted with the care and well-being of all animals would say
> such a thing?
>
> Of course, Vets take care of chickens, cows and pigs too. They also
> eat them.
>
> In many countries, dogs are seen as lots of things other than as
> domestic pets.
>
> In the 1970's, I had an occasion to eat dog that was served by a
> Korean family to me as a guest in their home.
>
> At the moment I was eating it, I was unaware that it was dog. It was
> served in a meat salad much like kimche, but with meat added.
>
> The kimche was fresh, not fermented, and as lots of Korean dishes, it
> was pretty spicy. The flavor of the dog was pleasant and light. The
> texture was a tight grained meat with almost no fat, no gristle and
> very tender.
>
> It reminded me of a center cut pork chop in flavor and texture.
>
> Lots of people keep horses as pets also, but they can be bought in
> many countries as food as well. When I was in Germany, it was
> available in butcher shops for human consumption.
>
> Bunnies. Millions of bunnies are kept as pets by children and some
> adults. I love eating bunnies.
>
> I'm rather surprised that folks in a group for sushi would have an
> aversion to eating unusual foods. Sushi itself has many, many unusual
> items included in it's fare.

As werewolf points out upstream, ostensibly it wasn't the dog that was
off-putting, but the rumor/inuendo/myth that the dog was tortured
before death inorder to produce more tasty enzymes/hormones or
whatever. The implication was that torturing the animal before death
would make it taste better.

I think that's a total crock of shit, and would like to read any
article (if someone posseses such a link) that indicates that. It
sounds like PETA/SPCA agit-prop. All good things to them and their
cause(s), but I don't believe this. In fact I have read the opposite
regarding beef; that if the cattle is terrorized in a slaughterhouse
environment prior to being butchered, their adrenalin/body chemistry
makes for inferior taste but it is a minor distinction and one that
simply can't be addressed in a large commercial venture.

Now I didn't hear that from a guy who knew a guy, I saw it in a story
related to (of all things) autism in a 60 minutes program years ago.

Both may be false I don't know. My only perspective is that a Korean
somewhere tortures dogs as a tenderizer, it doesn't change my interest
in the whole of (accessible) Korean cuisine.

> Now, don't get me wrong. I won't be going to anyone's house,
> scratching poochie behind the ears and slicing it's throat. But if dog
> were available as a meat in my country, I'd eat it once in awhile.
> It's good.
>
> Eaten much the same as Kobe beef is, I can imagine that many of you
> would like it.

It's logical that those animals we have most closely associated with
personally would be difficult to eat. I figured that was one of the
reasons for 4H--to torque children's brains where they could find a way
to understand loving an animal, and then killing it for dinner. I
assume this is not a normal relationship to domesticated animals and
foodstuffs and has to be learned, and learned before one's brain sets
up all the logical civilized associations.
--
///---

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 09:38:36 -0700, Gerry >
wrote:

> [...]

>I think that's a total crock of shit, and would like to read any
>article (if someone posseses such a link) that indicates that. It
>sounds like PETA/SPCA agit-prop. All good things to them and their
>cause(s), but I don't believe this. In fact I have read the opposite
>regarding beef; that if the cattle is terrorized in a slaughterhouse
>environment prior to being butchered, their adrenalin/body chemistry
>makes for inferior taste but it is a minor distinction and one that
>simply can't be addressed in a large commercial venture.
>
>Now I didn't hear that from a guy who knew a guy, I saw it in a story
>related to (of all things) autism in a 60 minutes program years ago.
>
>Both may be false I don't know. My only perspective is that a Korean
>somewhere tortures dogs as a tenderizer, it doesn't change my interest
>in the whole of (accessible) Korean cuisine.

The Koreans I've met are pretty logical people. I've never met one
that had the time to even try such a silly theory as torturing an
animal to improve it's taste. I agree, it sounds like an urban legend
of something to dissuade a person from even trying it.

>> Now, don't get me wrong. I won't be going to anyone's house,
>> scratching poochie behind the ears and slicing it's throat. But if dog
>> were available as a meat in my country, I'd eat it once in awhile.
>> It's good.
>>
>> Eaten much the same as Kobe beef is, I can imagine that many of you
>> would like it.

>It's logical that those animals we have most closely associated with
>personally would be difficult to eat. I figured that was one of the
>reasons for 4H--to torque children's brains where they could find a way
>to understand loving an animal, and then killing it for dinner. I
>assume this is not a normal relationship to domesticated animals and
>foodstuffs and has to be learned, and learned before one's brain sets
>up all the logical civilized associations.

I was raised on a farm, for part of my childhood. Having watched the
butchering and cleaning of animals from an early age, I seem to be
immune to any ill feelings regarding the process.

When an animal is walking around mooing, I see them as a live animal
and treat them as well as possible. I certainly have never gone out of
my way to make their simple lives harder for them.

When I dispatch an animal, it's with a means that is suitable for a
speedy death. Most of the larger animals, I shoot. The smaller are
decapitated and then hung to drain.

Living on a farm will toughen up almost everyone in regards to
slaughtering for food.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-09-03 03:08:42 -0700, Terrorist Killer > said:

>> It's logical that those animals we have most closely associated with
>> personally would be difficult to eat. I figured that was one of the
>> reasons for 4H--to torque children's brains where they could find a way
>> to understand loving an animal, and then killing it for dinner. I
>> assume this is not a normal relationship to domesticated animals and
>> foodstuffs and has to be learned, and learned before one's brain sets
>> up all the logical civilized associations.

> I was raised on a farm, for part of my childhood. Having watched the
> butchering and cleaning of animals from an early age, I seem to be
> immune to any ill feelings regarding the process.

Thanks for bolstering my point.

> When an animal is walking around mooing, I see them as a live animal
> and treat them as well as possible. I certainly have never gone out of
> my way to make their simple lives harder for them.

That's called a conscience and city boy/farm boy, christian/muslim, not
everybody has one.

> When I dispatch an animal, it's with a means that is suitable for a
> speedy death. Most of the larger animals, I shoot. The smaller are
> decapitated and then hung to drain.
>
> Living on a farm will toughen up almost everyone in regards to
> slaughtering for food.

Please do not misinterpret and I mean absolutely no disrespect to you
or the culture from which you come: This is the way children are
toughened up to the way of contemporary primitive warfare in Cambodia
and Rwanda in order to whittle relatives and school friends into
kindling with a machete. More benign: this is also the way people
acquire tastes for menudo, natto and blodpudding. Some things you need
learn or acquiese to by the time your 7 or 8 if you're going to get
with the game.
--
///---