Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default eating sushi when pregnant

A friend has asked me this question?

Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?

any comments welcome

thanks

paul

Posted to alt.food.sushi

wherewasi wrote:
> A friend has asked me this question?
>
> Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
>
> any comments welcome

American doctors warn against it because there are
fewer treatments they can give that will not harm the
fetus. I asked a few Japanese women who said they
were not told by their doctors in Japan to stop eating
sushi.

So the first pregnancy my wife didn't eat any raw sushi.
The second one, she did. No problems if you go to a
reputable place.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"wherewasi" > wrote in message
> A friend has asked me this question?
>
> Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
>
> any comments welcome
>
> thanks
>
> paul

In the United States it is generally advised that pregnant women avoid
eating fish and seafood
regardless of whether it is raw or cooked. While parasites may be killed by
cooking, contaminants such
as PCBs and mercury aren't going to dissappear by cooking.
Personally I find this position rather rigid and possibly a bit of an over
reaction depending on circumstances.
Firstly the vast majority of problems with raw fish occurs mostly when
prepared at home, not by reputable
establishments. Secondly the quality of the fish varies not only from
country to country but from region to region.
In Japan pregnant women are not generally advised to avoid eating raw fish.
On the other hand the condition and
quality of fish sold in Japan, where raw consumption is expected, is nothing
like the United States or elsewhere.
I would be very curious to know if pregnant women in regions such as New
England, which has access to to
very fresh fish have traditionally avoided eating seafood during pregnancy.
I sincerely doubt it.
In any case if you are at all concerned, one can enjoy sushi without raw
fish.
The risks with eating any seafood during pregnancy are the same as when not
pregnant.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> wherewasi wrote:
> > A friend has asked me this question?
> >
> > Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
> >
> > any comments welcome

> American doctors warn against it because there are
> fewer treatments they can give that will not harm the
> fetus. I asked a few Japanese women who said they
> were not told by their doctors in Japan to stop eating
> sushi.

I am very surprised. This is the first time I've heard this.
It's possible that things have changed in recent years?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>wherewasi wrote:
>>
>>>A friend has asked me this question?
>>>
>>>Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
>>>
>>>any comments welcome

>>American doctors warn against it because there are
>>fewer treatments they can give that will not harm the
>>fetus. I asked a few Japanese women who said they
>>were not told by their doctors in Japan to stop eating
>>sushi.
>>

> I am very surprised. This is the first time I've heard this.
> It's possible that things have changed in recent years?

Doubt anything has changed. Seems most American doctors just
don't know much about sushi or safety/risk of eating it. They just
advise against as a blanket policy.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp the perils of eating fish
as they exist today in different parts of the world's oceans.

should be on a FAQ?

wherewasi wrote:

> A friend has asked me this question?
>
> Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
>
> any comments welcome
>
> thanks
>
> paul

Posted to alt.food.sushi
tmo tmo is offline

A friend of mine is well along in her pregnancy and was instructed to
avoid not only raw fish, but soft cheeses as well. The sense I get from
speaking with her is that doctors tend to take a "why chance it?"
attitude. Sadly, a lot of this may be due to a fear of litigation, but
with so much unknown about fetal development it appears that doctors
take an "err on the side of caution" approach. It also may be that it
is easier (for the doctor to say and easier for the mother to remember)
to say "avoid all sushi" rather than, "try to limit consumption of fish
A to x amount per week, and fish B to y, oh and if you live in this
part of the country, avoid C, D and E etc."

-Tmo

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Mostly about mercury and PCB contamination. Non-pasteurized cheeses..
YUM YUM.. but. How do French obstetricians deal with this?

Howard Johnson wrote:
> http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp the perils of eating fish
> as they exist today in different parts of the world's oceans.
>
> should be on a FAQ?
>

> wherewasi wrote:
>
>> A friend has asked me this question?
>>
>> Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
>>
>> any comments welcome
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> paul

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"tmo" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> A friend of mine is well along in her pregnancy and was instructed to
> avoid not only raw fish, but soft cheeses as well. The sense I get from
> speaking with her is that doctors tend to take a "why chance it?"
> attitude. Sadly, a lot of this may be due to a fear of litigation, but
> with so much unknown about fetal development it appears that doctors
> take an "err on the side of caution" approach. It also may be that it
> is easier (for the doctor to say and easier for the mother to remember)
> to say "avoid all sushi" rather than, "try to limit consumption of fish
> A to x amount per week, and fish B to y, oh and if you live in this
> part of the country, avoid C, D and E etc."
>
> -Tmo

Yes, that makes perfect sense.
Now if we can only get everyone including the doctors to appreciate that
"sushi" does not
equal "raw fish" .

Posted to alt.food.sushi

wherewasi wrote:

> A friend has asked me this question?
>
> Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
>
> any comments welcome

This question is sort of like "is it safe to eat sandwiches during
pregnancy?" Although I have no specific information to impart, it's highly
like that the answers to both question are "it depends on what kinds of
sandwiches" and "it depends on what kinds of sushi."

Please remember that not all sushi is made from raw fish.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> wherewasi wrote:
>

>>A friend has asked me this question?
>>
>>Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
>>
>>any comments welcome

> This question is sort of like "is it safe to eat sandwiches during
> pregnancy?" Although I have no specific information to impart, it's highly
> like that the answers to both question are "it depends on what kinds of
> sandwiches" and "it depends on what kinds of sushi."
>
> Please remember that not all sushi is made from raw fish.

Most American doctors also recommend limiting larger, cooked predator fish
such as tuna, swordfish, shark, king mackerel and tilefish. The said a tuna
sandwich once a week was ok. So it really doesn't matter what kind of sushi
as long as its fresh and handled well (and eaten once a week or less).

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

And America has the highest cancer rate in the World?

Dan Logcher wrote:
> Ken Blake wrote:
>> wherewasi wrote:
>>

>>> A friend has asked me this question?
>>>
>>> Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?
>>>
>>> any comments welcome

>> This question is sort of like "is it safe to eat sandwiches during
>> pregnancy?" Although I have no specific information to impart, it's
>> highly like that the answers to both question are "it depends on what
>> kinds of sandwiches" and "it depends on what kinds of sushi."
>>
>> Please remember that not all sushi is made from raw fish.

> Most American doctors also recommend limiting larger, cooked predator fish
> such as tuna, swordfish, shark, king mackerel and tilefish. The said a
> tuna
> sandwich once a week was ok. So it really doesn't matter what kind of
> sushi
> as long as its fresh and handled well (and eaten once a week or less).

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Howard Johnson wrote:

> And America has the highest cancer rate in the World?

Does that relate to eating sushi when pregnant?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> A friend has asked me this question?
>
> Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?

Seaweed packages, like nori or wakame, used to have 'pregnancy warning' in
labels due to iodine. Have not seen them in a while, though.

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

thanks for all your replies and comment

much appreciated