Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default How long can sushi sit out at a party?

I'm throwing my sister a surprise party for her 60th birthday and I'm
ordering three big trays of sushi (50-70 rolls on each). I'm wondering
how long after getting it home can it sit out safely? I'm bringing it
straight from the restaurant to the party to be eaten. If I have to put
it on ice, I don't know how I'd do that...three big trays ...I'd have
to fill the bathtub with ice to have room for it!

Can anyone help?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

musiclsRus wrote:
> I'm throwing my sister a surprise party for her 60th birthday and I'm
> ordering three big trays of sushi (50-70 rolls on each). I'm wondering
> how long after getting it home can it sit out safely? I'm bringing it
> straight from the restaurant to the party to be eaten. If I have to put
> it on ice, I don't know how I'd do that...three big trays ...I'd have
> to fill the bathtub with ice to have room for it!

A would think a couple of hours would be fine. If the guests are
really into sushi, the stuff will probably go pretty quickly. Whenever
I've been to events that serve sushi, its gone before anything else.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

musiclsRus wrote:

> I'm throwing my sister a surprise party for her 60th birthday and I'm
> ordering three big trays of sushi (50-70 rolls on each). I'm wondering
> how long after getting it home can it sit out safely? I'm bringing it
> straight from the restaurant to the party to be eaten. If I have to
> put it on ice, I don't know how I'd do that...three big trays ...I'd
> have to fill the bathtub with ice to have room for it!

I've been to parties with sushi left out, without ice, for several hours.
I've never gotten sick from it, and I've never heard of anyone else getting
sick either.

So I wouldn't worry about it. Just invite me, and I'll ensure that it won't
be left out long! ;-)

Ken

Posted to alt.food.sushi

No more than a guess here, but I wouldn't put them on ice since I don't
really find that I'm served cold maki or nigiri that often. That said,
they are kept on ice in the super markets to extend life when the time
of consumption is uncertain. And I have had take-out that was kept in
those clear plastic boxes in the fridge overnight and it was fine if not
perfect (personally, I'd rather have less than perfect sushi than no
sushi at all.) However, 3 big trays may be more than your fridge will
hold. If you don't order the sushi that far in advance, I don't think
there should be a problem at room temp for a couple of hours, so keep
the time between pickup and serving as short as possible. I also would
expect that the trays will be covered with saran wrap or such and would
suggest loosen the edges to let it all breathe and avoid sweating while
keeping them covered. Know where the cat is!!!

As for shelf life after the party, I'm going to bet that won't be a
problem because the trays will be empty if any amount of your guests
appreciate sushi at all. Otherwise, post your address and I'm sure
someone in the group will be happy to help you eliminate the problem ;-)
- Buddy
And cheers to your sister's 60th!

musiclsRus wrote:
> I'm throwing my sister a surprise party for her 60th birthday and I'm
> ordering three big trays of sushi (50-70 rolls on each). I'm wondering
> how long after getting it home can it sit out safely? I'm bringing it
> straight from the restaurant to the party to be eaten. If I have to put
> it on ice, I don't know how I'd do that...three big trays ...I'd have
> to fill the bathtub with ice to have room for it!
>
> Can anyone help?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Hello, Ken!
You wrote on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:50:11 -0700:

??>> I'm throwing my sister a surprise party for her 60th
??>> birthday and I'm ordering three big trays of sushi (50-70
??>> rolls on each). I'm wondering how long after getting it
??>> home can it sit out safely? I'm bringing it straight from
??>> the restaurant to the party to be eaten. If I have to put
??>> it on ice, I don't know how I'd do that...three big trays
??>> ...I'd have to fill the bathtub with ice to have room for
??>> it!

KB> I've been to parties with sushi left out, without ice, for
KB> several hours. I've never gotten sick from it, and I've
KB> never heard of anyone else getting sick either.

I would not be tempted to try sushi using fish that had sat out
at room temperature for hours. Vegetable rolls might be OK but I
would not be convinced to try by the fact that you've never been
sick. Dan Logcher says he can eat escolar without problems but I
and many Japanese (according to Government sources) get the runs
within an hour or two!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Buddy wrote:

> No more than a guess here, but I wouldn't put them on ice since I
> don't really find that I'm served cold maki or nigiri that often.

Sushi should never be served really cold, as far as I'm concerned.

> That said, they are kept on ice in the super markets to extend life
> when the time of consumption is uncertain.

That's one of the several reasons why supermarket sushi pales in comparison
with the real thing.

> And I have had take-out
> that was kept in those clear plastic boxes in the fridge overnight
> and it was fine if not perfect

Ugh! Each to his own, of course, but I think letover sushi is terrible. Even
if the fish is OK, the rice can't stand that sort of treatment and is awful
the next day.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> (personally, I'd rather have less than
> perfect sushi than no sushi at all.) However, 3 big trays may be more
> than your fridge will hold. If you don't order the sushi that far in
> advance, I don't think there should be a problem at room temp for a
> couple of hours, so keep the time between pickup and serving as short
> as possible. I also would expect that the trays will be covered with
> saran wrap or such and would suggest loosen the edges to let it all
> breathe and avoid sweating while keeping them covered. Know where the
> cat is!!!
> As for shelf life after the party, I'm going to bet that won't be a
> problem because the trays will be empty if any amount of your guests
> appreciate sushi at all. Otherwise, post your address and I'm sure
> someone in the group will be happy to help you eliminate the problem
> ;-) - Buddy
> And cheers to your sister's 60th!
>
> musiclsRus wrote:
>> I'm throwing my sister a surprise party for her 60th birthday and I'm
>> ordering three big trays of sushi (50-70 rolls on each). I'm
>> wondering how long after getting it home can it sit out safely? I'm
>> bringing it straight from the restaurant to the party to be eaten.
>> If I have to put it on ice, I don't know how I'd do that...three big
>> trays ...I'd have to fill the bathtub with ice to have room for it!
>>
>> Can anyone help?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Ken Blake wrote:
> Buddy wrote:
>
>> No more than a guess here, but I wouldn't put them on ice since I
>> don't really find that I'm served cold maki or nigiri that often.

> Sushi should never be served really cold, as far as I'm concerned.
>

>> That said, they are kept on ice in the super markets to extend life
>> when the time of consumption is uncertain.

> That's one of the several reasons why supermarket sushi pales in comparison
> with the real thing.
>

>> And I have had take-out
>> that was kept in those clear plastic boxes in the fridge overnight
>> and it was fine if not perfect

> Ugh! Each to his own, of course, but I think letover sushi is terrible. Even
> if the fish is OK, the rice can't stand that sort of treatment and is awful
> the next day.

I understand your point, Ken. But I have to travel 100 miles one way to
get to my nearest sushi-ya, so you can see my dilemma. When I bring some
home for my parents who don't travel, it's 2 hours old already. They
appreciate it greatly, usually have one box for their dinner and then
save the other for the next days lunch. Understandably less than
perfect, but in the desert one doesn't bitch about the lack of Perrier
(ugh, I prefer Poland Springs!) -- Jokingly yours, Buddy

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:

> Hello, Ken!
> You wrote on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:50:11 -0700:
>
> ??>> I'm throwing my sister a surprise party for her 60th
> ??>> birthday and I'm ordering three big trays of sushi (50-70
> ??>> rolls on each). I'm wondering how long after getting it
> ??>> home can it sit out safely? I'm bringing it straight from
> ??>> the restaurant to the party to be eaten. If I have to put
> ??>> it on ice, I don't know how I'd do that...three big trays
> ??>> ...I'd have to fill the bathtub with ice to have room for
> ??>> it!
>
> KB> I've been to parties with sushi left out, without ice, for
> KB> several hours. I've never gotten sick from it, and I've
> KB> never heard of anyone else getting sick either.
>
> I would not be tempted to try sushi using fish that had sat out
> at room temperature for hours. Vegetable rolls might be OK but I
> would not be convinced to try by the fact that you've never been
> sick. Dan Logcher says he can eat escolar without problems but I
> and many Japanese (according to Government sources) get the runs
> within an hour or two!

That's like me and Eggnog.. I drink a cup of that and I've got
issues. Oilfish gives me no troubles, and I have consumed what
I consider a large amount in one sitting. My wife and son have
never had issues either, but they probably haven't had as much
as me.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Buddy wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> Buddy wrote:
>>
>>> No more than a guess here, but I wouldn't put them on ice since I
>>> don't really find that I'm served cold maki or nigiri that often.

>> Sushi should never be served really cold, as far as I'm concerned.
>>

>>> That said, they are kept on ice in the super markets to extend life
>>> when the time of consumption is uncertain.

>> That's one of the several reasons why supermarket sushi pales in
>> comparison with the real thing.
>>

>>> And I have had take-out
>>> that was kept in those clear plastic boxes in the fridge overnight
>>> and it was fine if not perfect

>> Ugh! Each to his own, of course, but I think letover sushi is
>> terrible. Even if the fish is OK, the rice can't stand that sort of
>> treatment and is awful the next day.

> I understand your point, Ken. But I have to travel 100 miles one way
> to get to my nearest sushi-ya, so you can see my dilemma. When I
> bring some home for my parents who don't travel, it's 2 hours old
> already. They appreciate it greatly, usually have one box for their
> dinner and then save the other for the next days lunch.
> Understandably less than perfect, but in the desert one doesn't bitch
> about the lack of Perrier (ugh, I prefer Poland Springs!) --
> Jokingly yours, Buddy

Understood. You have to make do with what's available to you. I live in
Tucson, AZ, where I retired to from New York 14 years ago. I'm very glad to
have sushi here at all. It's not too bad, but it too pales in comparison to
what I used to get in and around New York.

So unless you live where you can get (and can afford) the very best, we all
have to make compromises--with sushi as with everything else.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:28:29 -0400, Buddy >
wrote:

>I understand your point, Ken. But I have to travel 100 miles one way to
>get to my nearest sushi-ya, so you can see my dilemma. When I bring some
>home for my parents who don't travel, it's 2 hours old already. They
>appreciate it greatly, usually have one box for their dinner and then
>save the other for the next days lunch.

This is really nice of you. Your parents are very lucky. Oyakoko -
don't know how to translate that exactly to mean what it conveys in
Japanese.

Nona

Rinshinomori

Posted to alt.food.sushi

rinshinomori > wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:28:29 -0400, Buddy >
> wrote:
>
> >I understand your point, Ken. But I have to travel 100 miles one way to
> >get to my nearest sushi-ya, so you can see my dilemma. When I bring some
> >home for my parents who don't travel, it's 2 hours old already. They
> >appreciate it greatly, usually have one box for their dinner and then
> >save the other for the next days lunch.

> This is really nice of you. Your parents are very lucky. Oyakoko -
> don't know how to translate that exactly to mean what it conveys in
> Japanese.

It's a concept, more than a word. One of the fundamental aspects of
Japanese life is loyalty to ones parents, particularly for a son's family.

Same thing in Thailand, although I don't know the words.

Yer a good boy, Buddy.

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.sushi

>> how long after getting it home can it sit out safely? I'm bringing it
>> straight from the restaurant to the party to be eaten. If I have to put
>> it on ice, I don't know how I'd do that...three big trays ...I'd have
>> to fill the bathtub with ice to have room for it!

> hold. If you don't order the sushi that far in advance, I don't think
> there should be a problem at room temp for a couple of hours, so keep
> the time between pickup and serving as short as possible. I also would
> expect that the trays will be covered with saran wrap or such and would
> suggest loosen the edges to let it all breathe and avoid sweating while
> keeping them covered. Know where the cat is!!!

I think this is the way to do it.

Fridge will turn rice into cold rubber, very unpleasant. After a time nori will be soft and moist but it really should be even little crisp. The whole idea of sushi is to eat it immediately. When I make sushi at home, just for 4-6 guests, i make a few varieties at a time. If I try to make too many the first ones will not be as good as I want them to be.

It is way more expensive but hiring an itamae to the party would be the ultimate choice and surprise.

Yes, the cat. Especially scallops may mystically disappear.

Jukka