Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Pressure cooker

I cook with a pressure cooker often and I see by your photo that you have
defeated the last and best safety fuse. I'm a newbie on this server but I'm
compelled to warn you to be careful with live steam. Even if you don't blow
it up, there is considerable risk of burning yourself with the product of
the pot. Also keep in mind that the steam might not be visible as it escapes
the pressure vessel but will non-the-less deliver deep burns, instantly.

Good luck,

Eric

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Eric Hanner" > wrote in message news:mailman.0.1147569445.4463.rec.food.sourdough@ mail.otherwhen.com...

> ... I'm compelled to warn you to be careful with live steam ....

I am compelled to suggest that the amount of steam from the
pressure cooker is not enough to do much good, if any good
at all, so why not waste your time some other way, which other
way might be safer albeit equally useless.

--
Dicky
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sat, 13 May 2006 20:17:38 -0500, "Eric Hanner"
> wrote:

>I cook with a pressure cooker often and I see by your photo that you have
>defeated the last and best safety fuse. I'm a newbie on this server but I'm
>compelled to warn you to be careful with live steam. Even if you don't blow
>it up, there is considerable risk of burning yourself with the product of
>the pot. Also keep in mind that the steam might not be visible as it escapes
>the pressure vessel but will non-the-less deliver deep burns, instantly.
>

>Good luck,
>

>Eric

Hi Eric,

I don't know to whom you are responding, but...

The suggestions that I have made about using a "pressure"
cooker for baking steam are based on the notion that a hole
is drilled in the lid to convey steam to the oven.

As a result, there is no pressure whatever as it is an open
vessel.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Eric Hanner" > wrote in message news:mailman.0.1147569445.4463.rec.food.sourdough@ mail.otherwhen.com...
I cook with a pressure cooker often and I see by your photo that you have defeated the last and best safety fuse. I'm a newbie on this server but I'm compelled to warn you to be careful with live steam. Even if you don't blow it up, there is considerable risk of burning yourself with the product of the pot. Also keep in mind that the steam might not be visible as it escapes the pressure vessel but will non-the-less deliver deep burns, instantly.

Good luck,

Eric

Due to a history of kitchen catastrophes by my grandmother, my mom never allowed a pressure cooker in our house when I was growing up or even to this day. So even though I cant speak from experience, I tend agree and to urge caution.

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I'm compelled to warn anyone involved in any endeavor that people of meeker
dispositions will develop overly obvious reasons why it can't or shouldn't
be attempted. Especially if heat or electricity or gravity are involved.

Burn baby burn.

You know a pressure cooker with a tube to the oven steams crust sweetly.
And if it doesn't you can make it so.

Use "common sense" and you'll be fine.

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message

"Eric Hanner" > wrote in message
news:mailman.0.1147569445.4463.rec.food.sourdough@ mail.otherwhen.com...

> ... I'm compelled to warn you to be careful with live steam ....

I am compelled to suggest that the amount of steam from the
pressure cooker is not enough to do much good, if any good
at all, so why not waste your time some other way, which other
way might be safer albeit equally useless.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

> Use "common sense" and you'll be fine.

Oh, and don't seal all the pressure releases when you put your cooker on the
fire. Or stand by the pressure release when your other vent is clogged.

Just kidding.

Anybody that bothers to drill and tap a pressure cooker to steam French
bread probably can figure out pressure vessels are inherently dangerous; and
will monitor them for proper function. The what could go wrong is far worse
than what will if you have the slightest appreciation for steam and
pressure; and enough brain power to brew bread.