FoodBanter.com

-   Sourdough (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/)
-   -   Ways ro raise bread. (https://www.foodbanter.com/sourdough/37565-ways-ro-raise-bread.html)

Wcsjohn 05-10-2004 04:21 PM

Ways ro raise bread.

1) Simple, very intense heat without any apparent leavening. Chappattis

2) Chemical raising agents. Soda Bread

3) Commercial yeast.

4) Sourdough

5) A variety of Clostridium bacteria ("Salt Rising Bread")

6) Injection of CO2 under pressure. Dr Dalgleish's Aerated Bread Company

7) Incorporation of layers in the dough. Paratha

Whether this counts as "many" is open to argument.

John

gobadaba 09-10-2004 04:51 AM

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:21:49 +0000, Wcsjohn wrote:

> 1) Simple, very intense heat without any apparent leavening. Chappattis

(steam)

> 2) Chemical raising agents. Soda Bread
>
> 3) Commercial yeast.
>
> 4) Sourdough
>
> 5) A variety of Clostridium bacteria ("Salt Rising Bread")
>
> 6) Injection of CO2 under pressure. Dr Dalgleish's Aerated Bread Company
>
> 7) Incorporation of layers in the dough. Paratha
>
> Whether this counts as "many" is open to argument.
>
> John

Steam plays a part in some of these.

..... and let us not forget baking soda.

Somehow eggs seem to want to join this party but i don't know who
invited them. It seem right though, no?

Wcsjohn 09-10-2004 09:07 AM

>On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:21:49 +0000, Wcsjohn wrote:
>
>> 1) Simple, very intense heat without any apparent leavening. Chappattis

>(steam)
>
>> 2) Chemical raising agents. Soda Bread
>>
>> 3) Commercial yeast.
>>
>> 4) Sourdough
>>
>> 5) A variety of Clostridium bacteria ("Salt Rising Bread")
>>
>> 6) Injection of CO2 under pressure. Dr Dalgleish's Aerated Bread Company
>>
>> 7) Incorporation of layers in the dough. Paratha
>>
>> Whether this counts as "many" is open to argument.
>>
>> John

>Steam plays a part in some of these.

Sure, steam, water vapour, plays some part in the raising of nearly all breads.

>.... and let us not forget baking soda.

I didn't, see number 2.

>Somehow eggs seem to want to join this party but i don't know who
>invited them. It seem right though, no?

Eggs do make for a light foam, I find, Brioche being the most obvious example
but can you count adding eggs as a method of raising?

Anyone for a round of hair-splitting?<g>

John