Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Coccodrillo

Everyone wanted Carol Field's croccodrillo again. After a year or so
without it, and returning to it last week, I remember why I used to
make it so often.

I have added a twist this year. After the final mix of the dough, I
let it retard in the fridge for at least 16 hours. It winds up being a
3 day bread, but it isn't as if I'm not baking other things in
between. Not only does it deepen the flavors even more, but it makes
it a more manageable dough to handle.

This weekend, the bread was begun with sourdough, the Acme starter
that Kenneth sent, rather than the dry yeast called for..

The poolish, just before the mix of the dough...
http://i32.tinypic.com/1gm7b4.jpg

I used to always use the Kenwood for the extended mix of this
incredibly gloppy dough, but had the Magic Mill out because I was
doing large batches of Anadama. That mixer came through like a champ
and the dough mixing was a sight to behold. Beautiful and shiny
ripples.

Round and Round she goes....
http://i29.tinypic.com/mwb0xl.jpg

This afternoon, we took it out of the fridge, shaped it (it is so very
much easier to shape and handle after the Big Chill) and let it sit
out to warm up and get burbling again.

Moon Pie...
http://i31.tinypic.com/33pbuy1.jpg

Time to split the dough mound and invert each half onto the parchment
covered peel.
http://i25.tinypic.com/117rzo9.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/3150ked.jpg

And here it is out of the oven...
http://i28.tinypic.com/jpfp7a.jpg

And the interior...
http://i25.tinypic.com/8xsndu.jpg

Tastes mighty good, this stuff...

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...
> http://i32.tinypic.com/1gm7b4.jpg
> http://i29.tinypic.com/mwb0xl.jpg
> http://i31.tinypic.com/33pbuy1.jpg
> http://i25.tinypic.com/117rzo9.jpg
> http://i27.tinypic.com/3150ked.jpg
> http://i28.tinypic.com/jpfp7a.jpg
> http://i25.tinypic.com/8xsndu.jpg

Wow, Boron, some camera you got!
Blew my sorry little screen away.
Took all day.
Try this: http://mysite.verizon.net/DickyA/BoronCoccoComp.jpg
(256kB, OK for dialup, OK for small screen)

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...
>> http://i32.tinypic.com/1gm7b4.jpg
>> http://i29.tinypic.com/mwb0xl.jpg
>> http://i31.tinypic.com/33pbuy1.jpg
>> http://i25.tinypic.com/117rzo9.jpg
>> http://i27.tinypic.com/3150ked.jpg
>> http://i28.tinypic.com/jpfp7a.jpg
>> http://i25.tinypic.com/8xsndu.jpg

> Wow, Boron, some camera you got!
> Blew my sorry little screen away.
> Took all day.
> Try this: http://mysite.verizon.net/DickyA/BoronCoccoComp.jpg
> (256kB, OK for dialup, OK for small screen)

OK, but you have them out of order...

John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"John Andrews" > wrote in message ...

> > Try this: http://mysite.verizon.net/DickyA/BoronCoccoComp.jpg
> > (256kB, OK for dialup, OK for small screen)

> OK, but you have them out of order...

It is left as an exercise to put them in order.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:57:38 -0400, John Andrews
> wrote:

>Dick Adams wrote:
>> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...
>>> http://i32.tinypic.com/1gm7b4.jpg
>>> http://i29.tinypic.com/mwb0xl.jpg
>>> http://i31.tinypic.com/33pbuy1.jpg
>>> http://i25.tinypic.com/117rzo9.jpg
>>> http://i27.tinypic.com/3150ked.jpg
>>> http://i28.tinypic.com/jpfp7a.jpg
>>> http://i25.tinypic.com/8xsndu.jpg

>> Wow, Boron, some camera you got!
>> Blew my sorry little screen away.
>> Took all day.
>> Try this: http://mysite.verizon.net/DickyA/BoronCoccoComp.jpg
>> (256kB, OK for dialup, OK for small screen)
>>

>OK, but you have them out of order...
>
>John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee

And the details cannot be seen.

Tinypic reduces the size of the photos and that is why I use them, so
I do not have to bother with resizing.

If I email to friends, I do all my own photo resizing.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...

> >> Try this: http://mysite.verizon.net/DickyA/BoronCoccoComp.jpg

> ... the details cannot be seen ...

OK, try this:
1. Poolish
2. Magic Mill
3. Round and round ...
4. "Moon Pie"
5. Split
6. Invert
7. Cut loaf
8. Whole loaf

Well, I guess that sighted people might not deduce that the split
reformed loaf halves are inverted one by one on a parchment-covered
peel, so that might need to be pointed out, as well as noting that the
parchment goes with the loaf into the oven onto (whatever?), if
that is the case.

> Tinypic reduces the size of the photos and that is why I use them, so
> I do not have to bother with resizing.

Arghh! - you people with excessive megapixels and huge pipes,
and (quite probably) multiple SUVs for picking up your 5 lb sacks
of flour!

Tinypic resizes the pics to large, much larger than needed to see the
finest details of bread. But it is true that Outlook Express 6 resizes them
to small enough after that.

--
Dicky

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:57:38 -0400, John Andrews
> > wrote:
>
>>Dick Adams wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow, Boron, some camera you got!
>>> Blew my sorry little screen away.
>>> Took all day.
>>> Try this: http://mysite.verizon.net/DickyA/BoronCoccoComp.jpg
>>> (256kB, OK for dialup, OK for small screen)
>>>

>>OK, but you have them out of order...
>>
>>John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee

> And the details cannot be seen.
>
> Tinypic reduces the size of the photos and that is why I use them, so
> I do not have to bother with resizing.

You don't need to change the size, but the resolution. 72dpi is
adequate for computer screens.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:06:18 -0700, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:57:38 -0400, John Andrews
>> > wrote:

>>>OK, but you have them out of order...
>>>
>>>John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee

>> And the details cannot be seen.
>>
>> Tinypic reduces the size of the photos and that is why I use them, so
>> I do not have to bother with resizing.

>You don't need to change the size, but the resolution. 72dpi is
>adequate for computer screens.
>
>B/

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:06:18 -0700, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:57:38 -0400, John Andrews
>> > wrote:

>>>OK, but you have them out of order...
>>>
>>>John Andrews, Knoxville, Tennessee

>> And the details cannot be seen.
>>
>> Tinypic reduces the size of the photos and that is why I use them, so
>> I do not have to bother with resizing.

>You don't need to change the size, but the resolution. 72dpi is
>adequate for computer screens.
>
>B/

I have the option of resizing (which changes the resolution) on
tinypic. I choose very deliberately when I want the detail. This is a
choice, not an accident.

http://tinypic.com/

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...

> I have the option of resizing (which changes the resolution) on
> tinypic. I choose very deliberately when I want the detail. This is a
> choice, not an accident.

You are a very deliberate person, Boron. I am sure that everything
you choose to do makes complete sense.

It's like the government, when they resize the money supply. You
just have to believe that the first button they push is the right one.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...

To change the subject entirely(well, not completely entirely:-) ) this
morning, after a trip to my dentist, we stopped at a thrift shop close
by her clinic. While browsing the used books, I spotted a
book...Adventures in San Francisco Sourdough Cooking & Baking by Charles
D Wilford, circa 1971. I got into it as soon as we returned home, and it
is indeed very interesting. So, rather than sit around stewing about my
sore mouth(she pulled a tooth on the bottom, and took an impression
for a partial bridge) I started in reading it. Quite interesting, and
doing a google search on the publisher of this little book, took me
right back to the Boudin family, who started the San Francisco sourdough
bread company in the 1850s. Quite an interesting story of how during the
earthquake and fire the family rescued the "mother" placed it in a
bucket of ice and transported it to Golden Gate Park, where they started
baking bread the next day, over open hearths quickly built!
As an aside, one of my mother's brothers was born in San Francisco a few
months prior to the big earthquake and fire. He always had a problem due
to the fact that he had no birth certificate, which was lost in the
fire. My grandmother had 8 sons, and five of them ended up as bakers!
Three of whom had their own bakeshops in Toronto Canada and one in Los
Angeles. Just a little ancient history from the old guy in BC, Doug
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:05:19 GMT, Doug Irv > wrote:

>Dick Adams wrote:
>> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message ...
>>

>To change the subject entirely(well, not completely entirely:-) ) this
>morning, after a trip to my dentist, we stopped at a thrift shop close
>by her clinic. While browsing the used books, I spotted a
>book...Adventures in San Francisco Sourdough Cooking & Baking by Charles
>D Wilford, circa 1971. I got into it as soon as we returned home, and it
>is indeed very interesting. So, rather than sit around stewing about my
> sore mouth(she pulled a tooth on the bottom, and took an impression
>for a partial bridge) I started in reading it. Quite interesting, and
>doing a google search on the publisher of this little book, took me
>right back to the Boudin family, who started the San Francisco sourdough
>bread company in the 1850s. Quite an interesting story of how during the
>earthquake and fire the family rescued the "mother" placed it in a
>bucket of ice and transported it to Golden Gate Park, where they started
>baking bread the next day, over open hearths quickly built!
>As an aside, one of my mother's brothers was born in San Francisco a few
>months prior to the big earthquake and fire. He always had a problem due
>to the fact that he had no birth certificate, which was lost in the
>fire. My grandmother had 8 sons, and five of them ended up as bakers!
>Three of whom had their own bakeshops in Toronto Canada and one in Los
>Angeles. Just a little ancient history from the old guy in BC, Doug

What a great story.

So, tell us...what wonderful bread recipes and tips do you have hiding
- either acquired by your own experience or passed down at your
uncles' knees. There must be a ton of it. Please share.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:06:18 -0700, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>
>>Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:57:38 -0400, John Andrews

>>> And the details cannot be seen.
>>>
>>> Tinypic reduces the size of the photos and that is why I use them, so
>>> I do not have to bother with resizing.

>>You don't need to change the size, but the resolution. 72dpi is
>>adequate for computer screens.

> I have the option of resizing (which changes the resolution) on
> tinypic. I choose very deliberately when I want the detail. This is a
> choice, not an accident.

Whatever.... we all have to take responsibility for our choices.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:39:36 -0700, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:06:18 -0700, Brian Mailman

>>>You don't need to change the size, but the resolution. 72dpi is
>>>adequate for computer screens.

>> I have the option of resizing (which changes the resolution) on
>> tinypic. I choose very deliberately when I want the detail. This is a
>> choice, not an accident.

>Whatever.... we all have to take responsibility for our choices.
>
>B/

I assure you, my tinypic uploads weigh little on my mind.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

lol, and likewise on the universe.

Boron, I didn't like to ask before but what is a Coccodrillo? I've
hear it mentioned a few times now. What makes it different?

Jim

On 13 Mar, 11:33, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> >Whatever.... we all have to take responsibility for our choices.

> >B/

> I assure you, my tinypic uploads weigh little on my mind.
>
> Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 06:58:31 -0700 (PDT), TG >
wrote:

>lol, and likewise on the universe.
>
>Boron, I didn't like to ask before but what is a Coccodrillo? I've
>hear it mentioned a few times now. What makes it different?

It is an unusual way of dealing with a dough - a final mix of
ultimately 20 minutes in the mixer. It is almost like a batter. I'll
tell you, I made a French bread recipe (see Julia's online videos) and
this the same weekend and this had it beat 12 ways to Sunday.

The flavor comes from its semolina addition and its double preferment,
its crust - resembling crocodile skin (in one's dreams, actually) is
what gives it is name.

It is simple to make, actually, and give a very flavorful, good
looking loaf, and is easily and deliciously adapted to starter.

I cannot say it is better than all other recipes/bread, but yields a
result I like and the stuff disappears rapidly. It is a favorite
around here.

Boron

>Jim
>
>On 13 Mar, 11:33, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> >Whatever.... we all have to take responsibility for our choices.

>> >B/

>> I assure you, my tinypic uploads weigh little on my mind.
>>
>> Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi Boron,

thanks for explaining that. I don't have a mixer but do have some
semolina just for bread but don't use it that often but maybe it's
time to start using it again.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to explain.

Jim

On 14 Mar, 16:07, Boron Elgar <boron_e

> >Boron, I didn't like to ask before but what is a Coccodrillo? I've
> >hear it mentioned a few times now. What makes it different?

> It is an unusual way of dealing with a dough - a final mix of
> ultimately 20 minutes in the mixer. It is almost like a batter. I'll
> tell you, I made a French bread recipe (see Julia's online videos) and
> this the same weekend and this had it beat 12 ways to Sunday.
>
> The flavor comes from its semolina addition and its double preferment,
> its crust - resembling crocodile skin (in one's dreams, actually) is
> what gives it is name.
>
> It is simple to make, actually, and give a very flavorful, good
> looking loaf, and *is easily and deliciously adapted to starter.
>
> I cannot say it is better than all other recipes/bread, but yields a
> result I like and the stuff disappears rapidly. It is a favorite
> around here.
>
> Boron
>
> >Jim

> >> I assure you, my tinypic uploads weigh little on my mind.

> >> Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Woah, that's steap. I had heard that there was only 40 days left of
flour stocks, I think they meant worldwide.

Jim