Posted to rec.food.equipment
Drew Cutter

Default Spice Racks

Trying to organize my spices. I've got different size bottles of spices.
Suggestions on how to organize them. Been looking at racks. Do i buy
bottles to fill up every time they get low. I'm guessing that i have
around 35 spices. thanks.
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 05:34:28a, Drew Cutter wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> Trying to organize my spices. I've got different size bottles of spices.
> Suggestions on how to organize them. Been looking at racks. Do i buy
> bottles to fill up every time they get low. I'm guessing that i have
> around 35 spices. thanks.

I keep my spices inside a kitchen cabinet. (Light and heat is not good for
herbs) I use the stackable plastic lazy susans to keep them on which makes
find a spice fairly quick and easy.

http://tinyurl.com/7pyvh

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 07:50:02a, Wayne Boatwright wrote in
rec.food.equipment:

> On Sat 29 Oct 2005 05:34:28a, Drew Cutter wrote in rec.food.equipment:
>
>> Trying to organize my spices. I've got different size bottles of
>> spices. Suggestions on how to organize them. Been looking at racks. Do
>> i buy bottles to fill up every time they get low. I'm guessing that i
>> have around 35 spices. thanks.

> I keep my spices inside a kitchen cabinet. (Light and heat is not good
> for herbs) I use the stackable plastic lazy susans to keep them on
> which makes find a spice fairly quick and easy.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/7pyvh

Sorry, I meant to post the link for the plastic one. The stainless steel
model is a bit pricy if you're going to hide it in a cabinet.

http://tinyurl.com/cnkbf

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Karen Wheless

> Trying to organize my spices. I've got different size bottles of spices.
> Suggestions on how to organize them. Been looking at racks. Do i buy
> bottles to fill up every time they get low. I'm guessing that i have
> around 35 spices. thanks.

I have a very tiny apartment kitchen, so I keep my spices in a rack
which only shows the tops of the bottles. This allows me to keep the
most spices in the least amount of space, and I don't have to use my
very limited cabinet space for them. The bottles lie on their sides and
are mostly protected from the light that way, although I only keep small
amounts in the jars - I buy them in larger bags and use those to refill
the small jars I keep in my kitchen. (Since I don't have a pantry, I
keep the big bags in my bedroom closet - my clothes smell nicely
spicey!)

I bought some round labels for my printer that just fit the tops of my
spice jars. That way, I can relabel them any time I want - I'm always
trying out new spices and it's easy to print a new label for the top of
the jar.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 10:43:08p, Karen Wheless wrote in rec.food.equipment:

>> Trying to organize my spices. I've got different size bottles of spices.
>> Suggestions on how to organize them. Been looking at racks. Do i buy
>> bottles to fill up every time they get low. I'm guessing that i have
>> around 35 spices. thanks.

> I have a very tiny apartment kitchen, so I keep my spices in a rack
> which only shows the tops of the bottles. This allows me to keep the
> most spices in the least amount of space, and I don't have to use my
> very limited cabinet space for them. The bottles lie on their sides and
> are mostly protected from the light that way, although I only keep small
> amounts in the jars - I buy them in larger bags and use those to refill
> the small jars I keep in my kitchen. (Since I don't have a pantry, I
> keep the big bags in my bedroom closet - my clothes smell nicely
> spicey!)
>
> I bought some round labels for my printer that just fit the tops of my
> spice jars. That way, I can relabel them any time I want - I'm always
> trying out new spices and it's easy to print a new label for the top of
> the jar.
>
> Karen

That's a great idea, Karen. I've seen those types of racks, but I always
wondered how I would recognize the spices without pulling them out.
Printing out cicular labels is a perfect solution!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Karen Wheless

> That's a great idea, Karen. I've seen those types of racks, but I always
> wondered how I would recognize the spices without pulling them out.
> Printing out cicular labels is a perfect solution!

The ones I use are 1 2/3" in diameter, Avery #5293. That seems to fit a
standard spice jar. I think I had to special order them, but they
weren't very hard to find. You can download a template from the Avery
web site to format them on your computer.

If possible, print them on a laser printer - I have an ink jet at home
and the labels will run if they get wet!

Karen
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Oct 2005 11:49:25p, Karen Wheless wrote in rec.food.equipment:

>> That's a great idea, Karen. I've seen those types of racks, but I

always
>> wondered how I would recognize the spices without pulling them out.
>> Printing out cicular labels is a perfect solution!

> The ones I use are 1 2/3" in diameter, Avery #5293. That seems to fit a
> standard spice jar. I think I had to special order them, but they
> weren't very hard to find. You can download a template from the Avery
> web site to format them on your computer.
>
> If possible, print them on a laser printer - I have an ink jet at home
> and the labels will run if they get wet!
>
> Karen

Thanks for the additional info. I think I'm going to reorganize my spices
this way when I move in a few months. I have an inkjet printer, but I can
always print the labels on my office laser printer.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Roasting racks z z General Cooking 4 16-11-2012 10:52 PM
racks for chicken bbq ? Gene Barbecue 2 16-08-2006 09:48 PM
Riddling Racks Matthew Givens Winemaking 6 04-06-2006 08:58 PM
Wall Mounted Spice Racks Dylan Yolles Cooking Equipment 5 15-02-2004 10:37 PM
Rib Racks Cuchulain Libby Barbecue 1 10-10-2003 10:12 PM