Kevin S. Wilson

Default New K is Here

My new K5 arrived last night. This is the one that I won in the 2002
(no typo) Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe/Photo contest.

It's still in the crate, and probably will be until this weekend. If
anyone wants pics of a crated K, to get an idea of how they're
shipped, just holler. Likewise if you would like to see pics of a K5
alongside a K7, for comparison purposes. I know that people
considering a Kamado have asked for such pics in the past.

The K5 is right cute, and it will probably become my primary cooker,
as I'm usually only cooking for two or three people.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 22:17:38 GMT, Red Hook > wrote:

>On 1/6/04 1:50 PM, in article ,
>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote:
>
>> My new K5 arrived last night. This is the one that I won in the 2002
>> (no typo) Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe/Photo contest.
>>
>> It's still in the crate, and probably will be until this weekend. If
>> anyone wants pics of a crated K, to get an idea of how they're
>> shipped, just holler. Likewise if you would like to see pics of a K5
>> alongside a K7, for comparison purposes. I know that people
>> considering a Kamado have asked for such pics in the past.
>>
>> The K5 is right cute, and it will probably become my primary cooker,
>> as I'm usually only cooking for two or three people.
>>

>Pics of everything, please! Those of us who are still in the dreaming
>stages of K ownership need some new fodder. ABF works, but if you don't
>want to post there, reply here and I'll send an email address that works.

Will do. My news server doesn't carry binaries, so I don't get ABF.
I'll put the pics up on my web site instead (which is really more of a
bunch of unrelated pages than a site, but that's another story).

Meanwhile, some pics of the uncrating and first cook with my K7 a
couple years ago:

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/bbq/bbq.htm

And the wood rick for storing hard wood:

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/bbq/rick.htm

>Congrats on the victory!

Thanks. Here's the recipe and photos.

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/turkey/turkey.htm

I followed the recipe at Christmas for a co-worker, though I only did
a breast. He reports today that the turkey was moist, juicy, and
flavorful, even after being vacuum sealed for a two-three days. Forgot
to ask him if he reheated it or ate it cold.

Bonus Link:

http://www.webpak.net/~rescyou/temp/dawg3.htm

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Jack Curry

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> My new K5 arrived last night. This is the one that I won in the 2002
> (no typo) Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe/Photo contest.
>
> It's still in the crate, and probably will be until this weekend. If
> anyone wants pics of a crated K, to get an idea of how they're
> shipped, just holler. Likewise if you would like to see pics of a K5
> alongside a K7, for comparison purposes. I know that people
> considering a Kamado have asked for such pics in the past.
>
> The K5 is right cute, and it will probably become my primary cooker,
> as I'm usually only cooking for two or three people.

Congrats, Kevin and it's about time, especially since you were the *big*
winner. "Second place BOB" got his prize #3 K several weeks ago. Kamado's
absurd delivery times do make one wonder about RichardJ's management skills,
though I certainly don't question his design and engineering abilities.
Well, since you already have a #7, the pain of waiting isn't anything like a
first-time buyer suffers. Enjoy.
Jack Curry

BOB

Jack Curry typed:
> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>> My new K5 arrived last night. This is the one that I won in the 2002
>> (no typo) Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe/Photo contest.
>>
>> It's still in the crate, and probably will be until this weekend. If
>> anyone wants pics of a crated K, to get an idea of how they're
>> shipped, just holler. Likewise if you would like to see pics of a K5
>> alongside a K7, for comparison purposes. I know that people
>> considering a Kamado have asked for such pics in the past.
>>
>> The K5 is right cute, and it will probably become my primary cooker,
>> as I'm usually only cooking for two or three people.

> Congrats, Kevin and it's about time, especially since you were the *big*
> winner. "Second place BOB" got his prize #3 K several weeks ago. Kamado's
> absurd delivery times do make one wonder about RichardJ's management

skills,
> though I certainly don't question his design and engineering abilities.
> Well, since you already have a #7, the pain of waiting isn't anything like

> first-time buyer suffers. Enjoy.
> Jack Curry

In all fairness to Kamado, mine was received several months ago, was delayed
because I was waiting for other things to happen. It could have shipped
within 2 months of the announcement of the winners.

BOB
who will be practically "K-less" from the 10th to about the 24th of January
(HEY, no fair, only one to use for my birthday)

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 18:29:32 -0500, " BOB" > wrote:

>Jack Curry typed:
>> Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
>>> My new K5 arrived last night. This is the one that I won in the 2002
>>> (no typo) Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe/Photo contest.
>>>
>>> It's still in the crate, and probably will be until this weekend. If
>>> anyone wants pics of a crated K, to get an idea of how they're
>>> shipped, just holler. Likewise if you would like to see pics of a K5
>>> alongside a K7, for comparison purposes. I know that people
>>> considering a Kamado have asked for such pics in the past.
>>>
>>> The K5 is right cute, and it will probably become my primary cooker,
>>> as I'm usually only cooking for two or three people.

>> Congrats, Kevin and it's about time, especially since you were the *big*
>> winner. "Second place BOB" got his prize #3 K several weeks ago. Kamado's
>> absurd delivery times do make one wonder about RichardJ's management

>skills,
>> though I certainly don't question his design and engineering abilities.
>> Well, since you already have a #7, the pain of waiting isn't anything like

>> first-time buyer suffers. Enjoy.
>> Jack Curry

>In all fairness to Kamado, mine was received several months ago, was delayed
>because I was waiting for other things to happen. It could have shipped
>within 2 months of the announcement of the winners.

I don't remember when the winners were announced, but I'm guessing
mine was scheduled to ship about 2 months after the announcement.
Seems longer than that. I did have to call down there and say, "Um,
remember that contest you had?" Having to do so made me feel rather
uncomfortable.

At any rate, it was scheduled to ship July 28. I confirmed that date
by e-mail, the 28th came and went, I sent two more e-mails and never
heard a peep out of anyone. I'm a big procrastinator, and I REALLY
didn't want to have to bug someone into giving me what they had
promised to give me, but I finally got around to calling them. Here's
how it went. I called on a Friday a few weeks ago.

"Um, I'm Kevin Wilson. I'm calling about my order."

<rustle, rustle, rustle>

"Oh, you're the contest winner. We can ship that out this coming
Wednesday."

Wednesday came and went. I called again. "Oh, that'll ship out day
after tomorrow."

Do you suppose the thing was sitting there for nearly a year, while
someone waited for me to call and ask about it?

PS: They billed me for the stainless-steel bands, which were supposed
to be included along with a stainless-steel grill. I'll get that
straightened out, I'm sure, but who knows how long it'll take?

PPS: I never understood the logic of these contests, anyway, at least
from a marketing standpoint. Why preach to the choir?

PPPS: They're all very nice people, and were very accomodating once I
pestered them a little. I just didn't like having to pester them about
what amounts to a gift.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Alan Z.

The #5 is a great size... I've given two of them as gifts
It's very very efficient with its use of coal... and particularly nice with
the gas burner option

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> My new K5 arrived last night. This is the one that I won in the 2002
> (no typo) Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe/Photo contest.
>
> It's still in the crate, and probably will be until this weekend. If
> anyone wants pics of a crated K, to get an idea of how they're
> shipped, just holler. Likewise if you would like to see pics of a K5
> alongside a K7, for comparison purposes. I know that people
> considering a Kamado have asked for such pics in the past.
>
> The K5 is right cute, and it will probably become my primary cooker,
> as I'm usually only cooking for two or three people.
>

> --
> Kevin S. Wilson
> Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
> "Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
> --Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

TFM®

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message

> Will do. My news server doesn't carry binaries, so I don't get ABF.

Praise the Lord for small favors. I thought that NG seemed relatively
uninfected.

TFM®

Ol' Hippie

Wow Kevin yeah post on the pic place ABF I am from Sacto, travel home now &
again, what are the OD measurements of the crate?
Bruce

Spud

"TFM®" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>

> > Will do. My news server doesn't carry binaries, so I don't get ABF.

> Praise the Lord for small favors. I thought that NG seemed relatively
> uninfected.
>
> TFM®

No shit! I thought it was awful quiet.

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 17:00:42 -0800, "Ol' Hippie"
<olhippieATcharterDOTnet> wrote:

>Wow Kevin yeah post on the pic place ABF I am from Sacto, travel home now &
>again, what are the OD measurements of the crate?

I took a couple of pics last night, then it got dark and started
snowing. I had backed off a few of the screws holding the crate
together, then busted two of them, so I'll have to cut them with a
Sawz-All. It's still snowing, and I'd prefer to be inside, so the pics
will probably have to wait until this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion to measure the crate. I hadn't though of
doing that.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:43:03 GMT, "TFM®" >
wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Will do. My news server doesn't carry binaries, so I don't get ABF.

>Praise the Lord for small favors. I thought that NG seemed relatively
>uninfected.
>
>TFM®

I'll bet it's still got about the same ratio of racist bigots to
decent folk as AFB, though. Innat right, racist bigot?

Here's your beloved Fat Boy, folks, in all his degenerate glory:

>From: "The Fat Man®²°°³" >
>Newsgroups: alt.food.barbecue
>Subject: Oak wood chunks available in Ocala FL?
>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:02:25 -0400

>When you get off 75, turn east which is labeled south and go to Martin
>Luther Koon Blvd and take a left.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On 07 Jan 2004 19:41:47 GMT, wrote:

>Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:
>> >Praise the Lord for small favors. I thought that NG seemed relatively
>> >uninfected.

>> I'll bet it's still got about the same ratio of racist bigots to
>> decent folk as AFB, though. Innat right, racist bigot?
>> [snipped]

>Ya know, Kevin, while I've seen you make a number of good posts, and while
>I disapprove of bigotry in any form (most of my children are
>'half-breeds'), this post of yours is exemplary of what I think TFM is
>referring to. Feel free to look up any of my past posts anywhere. I need a
>good dressing down. ;~D 'nuff said.

If you object to the noise, please place the blame where it belongs.
Fat Boy went out of his way to follow-up to me with a snarky comment.
Each time he crawls out from under his rock to post a snarky comment
about me or in response to my posts, he's going to be reminded that he
is a disgusting racist bigot. If he doesn't like it, he can keep his
mouth shut about me.

You'll note that I have yet to follow-up or comment on any of his
on-topic posts, not since he demonstrated himself to be a hate-filled
bigot. If you and others want to treat him like he deserves to mingle
with decent people, that's your look-out, not mine. I prefer to ignore
him and to shun him as he deserves to be shunned. At the same time,
I'm not about to sit idly by while he runs his mouth about me. When he
does, he'll just be inviting me to remind everyone what scum he
is--using his own words as proof.

The next time you wish to object to the noise, you might consider
directing the post to the actual cause of the noise: Fat Boy. Remind
him that I promised to post his racist rantings whenever he staggered
out of a drunken stupor long enough to post something snarky about me.
You'll have to remind him more than once, of course, since he isn't
bright enough to figure out a cause-and-effect relationship.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Jon Endres, PE

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message

> PPS: I never understood the logic of these contests, anyway, at least
> from a marketing standpoint. Why preach to the choir?

What K needs to do, from my standpoint, is hire one of us, the loyal K
owners, who see firsthand the agonizing wait that they put us through. That
way, we can at least help with the customer service stuff.

Or not. Maybe it's such a mess that we can't help them.

In any case, it's put me off ordering anything until things get straightened
out. I'd love to have some of that new coconut charcoal, but until they
actually have some in stock, instead of preselling shipping containers of
it, I won't bother.

Glad you got your new one, anyway.

Jon E

Scott

Cocunut charcoal? That sounds intriguing! Anyone used it? What meat would
you use it on? A sweet coconut-like flavor to the right kind of meat would
probably be good.

"Jon Endres, PE" t> wrote in
message t...

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>
> > PPS: I never understood the logic of these contests, anyway, at least
> > from a marketing standpoint. Why preach to the choir?

> What K needs to do, from my standpoint, is hire one of us, the loyal K
> owners, who see firsthand the agonizing wait that they put us through.

That
> way, we can at least help with the customer service stuff.
>
> Or not. Maybe it's such a mess that we can't help them.
>
> In any case, it's put me off ordering anything until things get

straightened
> out. I'd love to have some of that new coconut charcoal, but until they
> actually have some in stock, instead of preselling shipping containers of
> it, I won't bother.
>
> Glad you got your new one, anyway.
>
> Jon E

Harry Demidavicius

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:05:57 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:43:03 GMT, "TFM®" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Will do. My news server doesn't carry binaries, so I don't get ABF.

>>Praise the Lord for small favors. I thought that NG seemed relatively
>>uninfected.
>>
>>TFM®

>I'll bet it's still got about the same ratio of racist bigots to
>decent folk as AFB, though. Innat right, racist bigot?
>
>Here's your beloved Fat Boy, folks, in all his degenerate glory:

Give it up allready, Kevin. You're ****ing into the wind.

Harry
BOB

Scott typed:
> Cocunut charcoal? That sounds intriguing! Anyone used it? What meat would
> you use it on? A sweet coconut-like flavor to the right kind of meat would
> probably be good.

Smokeless (practically), extruded, pure caron charcoal.

Long burning. I've used *ONE* load of it. Not one box. I was impressed in
the consistancy, the long burn time. But if you want smoke flavor, you need
to add chunks of *whatever* to get the flavor.

But, it comes by the containerload, and is usually pre-sold.

BOB
waiting on a very small order

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 03:57:30 GMT, "Scarlet Pimpernel"
> wrote:

>Someone taught me long ago that the most meaningful way to insult someone
>was to ignore them completely. Show them that they mean absolutely *nothing*
>to you. Think about it ...

That's an effective strategy, if one wishes to insult someone.
Insulting Fat Boy is a bonus, but it isn't my primary intention in
responding to his snarky comments about me. I wish instead to remind
people (especially newbies) that more than one racist hangs out on
AFB, and to encourage people to shun racists.

If Fat Boy keeps his mouth shut about me, he'll hear nothing from me.
I have no more desire to hang out with him on Usenet than I would in
meat space because I don't knowingly hang out with racists. But if he
runs his mouth about me, I'll follow-up with a URL pointing to his
hateful, racists comments.

<shrug> Why people continue to treat him like decent folk is beyond
me.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 04:56:45 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
t> wrote:

>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
.. .

>> PPS: I never understood the logic of these contests, anyway, at least
>> from a marketing standpoint. Why preach to the choir?

>What K needs to do, from my standpoint, is hire one of us, the loyal K
>owners, who see firsthand the agonizing wait that they put us through. That
>way, we can at least help with the customer service stuff.
>
>Or not. Maybe it's such a mess that we can't help them.

I was talking with another K owner last summer, a fellow with loads of
business experience (former CEO of a large PC-manufacturing company,
partner in a venture-capital firm, etc.). He said he briefly
considered spending a couple weeks with the K people, helping them
pull together a viable business plan and procedures for addressing
their customer-service and production problems. He finally concluded
that it would end with a hearty handshake and many thank-yous, and
then the K people would go right back to doing things the way they've
always done them.

They're hearts are in the right place, and they're doing the best they
can, but in the end the company is just a small, family owned business
stumbling along from day to day.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology

Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 05:47:49 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:05:57 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:43:03 GMT, "TFM®" >
>>wrote:

>>>Praise the Lord for small favors. I thought that NG seemed relatively
>>>uninfected.
>>>
>>>TFM®

>>I'll bet it's still got about the same ratio of racist bigots to
>>decent folk as AFB, though. Innat right, racist bigot?
>>
>>Here's your beloved Fat Boy, folks, in all his degenerate glory:
>>

>Give it up allready, Kevin. You're ****ing into the wind.

Not trying to change hearts and minds, Harry. Just reminding people of
Fat Boy's true colors. If he doesn't like it, he can stop running his
mouth about me. But I suspect he isn't bright enough to figure out
something that simple.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Jack Curry

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote:

> Not trying to change hearts and minds, Harry. Just reminding people of
> Fat Boy's true colors. If he doesn't like it, he can stop running his
> mouth about me. But I suspect he isn't bright enough to figure out
> something that simple.

Kevin,
I believe TFM® has now and will in the future, cease making remarks about
you, but if you continue to respond to the remarks of others, this nastiness
will linger and fester for all of us.
In a previous post you asked,

"<shrug> Why people continue to treat him like decent folk is beyond
me."

Perhaps it's because confrontation is not the way to persuasion, it's just
the way to combat.
I for one have had enough of that.
People can and do change, sometimes for the better. Constantly pushing an
adversary back into a corner is not, in my opinion productive. You may not
be trying to change hearts and minds, but ceaseless bickering does no good
for anyone.
I know you did not start this exchange and you have every right to defend
yourself, but I ask you to please help end this now, with your silence.
Jack Curry

Bill Funk

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:00:42 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 04:56:45 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
> wrote:
>

>>"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> PPS: I never understood the logic of these contests, anyway, at least
>>> from a marketing standpoint. Why preach to the choir?

>>What K needs to do, from my standpoint, is hire one of us, the loyal K
>>owners, who see firsthand the agonizing wait that they put us through. That
>>way, we can at least help with the customer service stuff.
>>
>>Or not. Maybe it's such a mess that we can't help them.
>>

>I was talking with another K owner last summer, a fellow with loads of
>business experience (former CEO of a large PC-manufacturing company,
>partner in a venture-capital firm, etc.). He said he briefly
>considered spending a couple weeks with the K people, helping them
>pull together a viable business plan and procedures for addressing
>their customer-service and production problems. He finally concluded
>that it would end with a hearty handshake and many thank-yous, and
>then the K people would go right back to doing things the way they've
>always done them.
>
>They're hearts are in the right place, and they're doing the best they
>can, but in the end the company is just a small, family owned business
>stumbling along from day to day.

I gotta wonder if it's not a case of, they are making them as fast as
they can, and making them faster would involve a large infusion of
investment money, and they don't want the strings that go along with
that.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:29:02 -0700, Bill Funk >
wrote:

>I gotta wonder if it's not a case of, they are making them as fast as
>they can, and making them faster would involve a large infusion of
>investment money, and they don't want the strings that go along with
>that.

Sounds about right. At one time, they had a page up on their site that
was seeking capital investments. I believe it's now gone. Gone also
are the plans to build (?) a big manufacturing plant in Indonesia.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Jack Curry

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:29:02 -0700, Bill Funk >
> wrote:
>
>> I gotta wonder if it's not a case of, they are making them as fast as
>> they can, and making them faster would involve a large infusion of
>> investment money, and they don't want the strings that go along with
>> that.

> Sounds about right. At one time, they had a page up on their site that
> was seeking capital investments. I believe it's now gone. Gone also
> are the plans to build (?) a big manufacturing plant in Indonesia.

Seems to me that they've got the product pretty close to perfect, but they
just don't have the manufacturing/customer service end down at all. I
consider myself lucky to own a Kamado and to have gotten it "more or less"
on time.
Bottom line, I'd get another one in a heartbeat (more like four months).
Jack Curry

BOB

In ,
Kevin S. Wilson > typed:
> My new K5 arrived last night. This is the one that I won in the 2002
> (no typo) Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe/Photo contest.
>
> It's still in the crate, and probably will be until this weekend. If
> anyone wants pics of a crated K, to get an idea of how they're
> shipped, just holler. Likewise if you would like to see pics of a K5
> alongside a K7, for comparison purposes. I know that people
> considering a Kamado have asked for such pics in the past.
>
> The K5 is right cute, and it will probably become my primary cooker,
> as I'm usually only cooking for two or three people.

What color/finish did you end up getting?

BOB

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:02:29 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 05:47:49 GMT, Harry Demidavicius
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:05:57 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
>>wrote:

m...

>>>I'll bet it's still got about the same ratio of racist bigots to
>>>decent folk as AFB, though. Innat right, racist bigot?
>>>
>>>Here's your beloved Fat Boy, folks, in all his degenerate glory:
>>>

>>Give it up allready, Kevin. You're ****ing into the wind.
>>

>Not trying to change hearts and minds, Harry. Just reminding people of
>Fat Boy's true colors. If he doesn't like it, he can stop running his
>mouth about me. But I suspect he isn't bright enough to figure out
>something that simple.

Perhaps I interpreted the post incorrectly, but I took the
"contaminated" comment as referring to the appearance of binaries.

Harry
Kevin S. Wilson

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:21:19 -0500, " BOB" >
wrote:

>What color/finish did you end up getting?

I could've gotten a tile one, but I opted for a red terra cotta to
match my other two. It came with stainless-steel hardware, though,
instead of the black that I have on the others. I prefer the look of
the black, but I'll be re-painting the bands, draft door, etc. this
spring.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
"Anything, when cooked in large enough batches, will be vile."
--Dag Right-square-bracket-gren, in alt.religion.kibology
Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:02:51 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:21:19 -0500, " BOB" >
>wrote:
>
>>What color/finish did you end up getting?
>>

>I could've gotten a tile one, but I opted for a red terra cotta to
>match my other two. It came with stainless-steel hardware, though,
>instead of the black that I have on the others. I prefer the look of
>the black, but I'll be re-painting the bands, draft door, etc. this
>spring.

I am of the opinion that K have pretty well adopted SS hardware as a
standard and it really ****s them up if you want black. My two guys
are black mosaics. The #7 has black metal and the #3 has SS . It
was one of the original pre-production run #3's and black hardware was
not an option for it. I believe the #7 looks fittingly more Darth
Vaderish. If I was to buy textured ones, I would select the terra
cotta/black combo.

Harry

JBSummer

Glad yours arrived. Wish mine would. It has been four months after the
projected delivery date, and I have been told it was going to ship several
times in the past when it never did.

My credit card was charged for the balance almost a month ago and it was only
after another reminder that I heard from them today that it was on the truck.

Their bbs has many people who rant about how great the company is and, yes,
they may make a great product, but they need to be a heck of a lot better in
meeting deadlines. The enthusiasm I felt upon ordering one has definitely been
tempered.
If mine is indeed not "on the way" this time, I intend to cancel my order.

Jim

Steve S

>Glad yours arrived. Wish mine would. It has been four months after the
>projected delivery date, and I have been told it was going to ship

You might want to e-mail Richard. He should get it straightened out.
It would be a shame to cancel...I just rec'd my # 7 a month and a half ago and
it was worth the wait !
Good Luck,
Steve
FESTERO

>The enthusiasm I felt upon ordering one has definitely been
>tempered.
>If mine is indeed not "on the way" this time, I intend to cancel my order.

Ohh! Don't do that. Mine arived about 4 months later than they originally told
me it would be.... but so very much worth the wait.

While you're waiting you can study the K forum for cooking techniques, recipes
and such... Purchse a wireless thermometer and learn how to use it... Clean out
that corner of the garage or basement so you'll have a place to stack all the
charcoal you'll be buying...

I think all the waiting just made it all that much more exciting when it
finally showed up. After all... I had wanted one for several years... what's a
couple more months?
¥¥¥ fʧ±ËrØ ®
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

Scott Franz

I wouldn't cancel that order. I went through the same thing you did.
Waiting for months, not showing up. After it did, it was all worth it.

Scott

"JBSummer" > wrote in message
> Glad yours arrived. Wish mine would. It has been four months after the
> projected delivery date, and I have been told it was going to ship several
> times in the past when it never did.
>
> My credit card was charged for the balance almost a month ago and it was

only
> after another reminder that I heard from them today that it was on the

truck.

> Their bbs has many people who rant about how great the company is and,

yes,
> they may make a great product, but they need to be a heck of a lot better

in
> meeting deadlines. The enthusiasm I felt upon ordering one has definitely

been
> tempered.
> If mine is indeed not "on the way" this time, I intend to cancel my order.
>
> Jim

JBSummer

>> After it did, it was all worth it.

I am glad all of you report positive experiences once the grill came. I hope I
will feel the same way, but their poor customer service frosts me. There is no
excuse for it. Especially when my credit card was charged for the balance
several weeks ago and they still had not shipped it until, supposedly, this
past Thursday.

No one at Kamado answers emails - I emailed Richelle on Thursday, cc:ing
Deborah and Darrell, asking for a confirmation of my order <I was going out of
town and would not going to be able to call them> but I have not heard back
from any of them.

About a month ago, I asked Richelle by phone to add an extra box of charcoal.
I wonder if they remembered to include it. We'll see.

Jim

Jack Curry

"JBSummer" > wrote in message
> >> After it did, it was all worth it.

> I am glad all of you report positive experiences once the grill came. I

hope I
> will feel the same way, but their poor customer service frosts me. There

is no
> excuse for it. Especially when my credit card was charged for the balance
> several weeks ago and they still had not shipped it until, supposedly,

this
> past Thursday.
>
> No one at Kamado answers emails - I emailed Richelle on Thursday, cc:ing
> Deborah and Darrell, asking for a confirmation of my order <I was going

out of
> town and would not going to be able to call them> but I have not heard

back
> from any of them.
>
> About a month ago, I asked Richelle by phone to add an extra box of

charcoal.
> I wonder if they remembered to include it. We'll see.
>
> Jim

Don't count the extra box, but I too will tell you that while Kamado's
customer service is virtually non-existent, the product is well worth all
the BS hassle. And if something does go wrong, they will fix it if you call
them many times. Calling works, email...forget it.
Jack Curry

Jack Schidt®

"JBSummer" > wrote in message
> >> After it did, it was all worth it.

> I am glad all of you report positive experiences once the grill came. I

hope I
> will feel the same way, but their poor customer service frosts me. There

is no
> excuse for it. Especially when my credit card was charged for the balance
> several weeks ago and they still had not shipped it until, supposedly,

this
> past Thursday.
>
> No one at Kamado answers emails - I emailed Richelle on Thursday, cc:ing
> Deborah and Darrell, asking for a confirmation of my order <I was going

out of
> town and would not going to be able to call them> but I have not heard

back
> from any of them.
>
> About a month ago, I asked Richelle by phone to add an extra box of

charcoal.
> I wonder if they remembered to include it. We'll see.
>
> Jim

You have to call them constantly; the emails don't work. Kamado gets the
Jack Schidt underperformer award for customer service. There just isn't
any. As others have stated, you'll really like the cooker once it gets to
your door.

Jack

Steve S

>will feel the same way, but their poor customer service frosts me.

Yep,
The waiting is a pain, but you WILL get your "K", and it will be worth the
wait. If you spend some time on their forum, you'll see quite a few "slow
shipping/don't answer calls",etc. posts but I've never seen a post from anyone
that's sorry after they finally got their "K". As open as that forum is, if
folks were dis-satisfied with the product, you'd know it !
Oddly enough, I had to talk to Darell on two occasions since I rec'd my # 7 and
both times got very good service. Maybe you should give him a call. Seems that
he's usually there if you can get through.
Steve
JBSummer

>> Maybe you should give him a call.

Thanks. I will do that if my K7 arrives damaged or if they didn't ship all
that I requested. Or if it didn't ship at all. However, I got the Conway
tracking number, so I assume it is on the way.

Jim

JBSummer

>> As open as that forum is, if
folks were dis-satisfied with the product, you'd know it !

LOL...the forum is not exactly open.

When I posted a message to the forum last week, asking K owners if they had
been able to speed things up, and how they did so, I mentioned that my charge
card had been charged weeks before but no Kamado received. The message was
removed within hours.

No problem, since he who owns the forum has the final say-so about what goes on
it. Now, I wasn't nasty or anything in my message, so the only thing I can
sssume is that the reference to the credit card was what did it.

The next day, when I called Kamado, I was told that the staff "was crating my
unit up" at the very moment that I was on the phone with the Kamado employee.

Jim
Jack Schidt®

"JBSummer" > wrote in message
> >> As open as that forum is, if

> folks were dis-satisfied with the product, you'd know it !
>
> LOL...the forum is not exactly open.
>
> When I posted a message to the forum last week, asking K owners if they

had
> been able to speed things up, and how they did so, I mentioned that my

charge
> card had been charged weeks before but no Kamado received. The message

was
> removed within hours.
>
> No problem, since he who owns the forum has the final say-so about what

goes on
> it. Now, I wasn't nasty or anything in my message, so the only thing I

can
> sssume is that the reference to the credit card was what did it.
>
> The next day, when I called Kamado, I was told that the staff "was crating

my
> unit up" at the very moment that I was on the phone with the Kamado

employee.

> Jim

I don't post over there so I didn't post my gripe. They did same to me, I
wasn't happy about it, the K arrived, I'm happy with it, but won't do
business with them anymore.

Jack