FoodBanter.com

-   Restaurants (https://www.foodbanter.com/restaurants/)
-   -   NEBA ROAST BEEF SANDWICH, PLEASE COME BACK, we miss you (https://www.foodbanter.com/restaurants/103239-neba-roast-beef-sandwich.html)

[email protected] 08-10-2006 01:05 AM

NEBA ROAST BEEF SANDWICH, PLEASE COME BACK, we miss you

Does anyone remember the most delicious sandwich of the 1960s, a
roast beef sandwich which melted in your mouth and was so tasty, you
could not stop at one sandwich. It was served on a sesame roll. It was
sold by a franchise called Nebas, which was around for a short period
in the sixties.... To my recollection, they were in New York state and
on the east coast.

They probably could not compete in price with the fast food franchises
that evolved soon afterward. I always preferred a roast beef sandwich
to what is out there today.

Arby has a pale imitation of a roast beef sandwich which is tasteless
and needs sauces to make it edible..

A joke going around says that "Neba" meant "never buy a roast beef
sandwich at Arbys.

www.nebaroastbeef.com

Roger

Shawn Hirn 08-10-2006 05:06 AM

NEBA ROAST BEEF SANDWICH, PLEASE COME BACK, we miss you

In article .com>,
wrote:

> Does anyone remember the most delicious sandwich of the 1960s, a
> roast beef sandwich which melted in your mouth and was so tasty, you
> could not stop at one sandwich. It was served on a sesame roll. It was
> sold by a franchise called Nebas, which was around for a short period
> in the sixties.... To my recollection, they were in New York state and
> on the east coast.
>
> They probably could not compete in price with the fast food franchises
> that evolved soon afterward. I always preferred a roast beef sandwich
> to what is out there today.
>
> Arby has a pale imitation of a roast beef sandwich which is tasteless
> and needs sauces to make it edible..
>
> A joke going around says that "Neba" meant "never buy a roast beef
> sandwich at Arbys.

I grew up in Pennsylvania. I never heard of Neba.

[email protected] 08-10-2006 05:24 AM

NEBA ROAST BEEF SANDWICH, PLEASE COME BACK, we miss you

Hi Shawn,

I used to go to Lake George, NY. They were there on the way to the
beach. They were also in New York City. I assumed they were on the east
coast.

The Roast beef was freshly made and cut in thin slices. They added a
bit of spice to the meat. After one sandwich you craved for another.
The meat was so tender and tasty, I never experienced a more
pleasurable sandwich. I am not into hamburgers.

The Neba restaurants were not on the scale of today's fast food places.
They were small and I doubt they could have quick production for large
crowds and maintain the quality. There were a few imitators after, but
the flavor was not the same. They all eventually died out, except for
Arbys. THey send out coupons for freebees as their food is so low
quality, They practically have to give it away for people to go there.

I have no beef with Arbys, but in my opinion, there food is of low
quality and I go there the odd time when they send out those free
coupons.

Roger

[email protected] 12-10-2006 03:07 PM

NEBA ROAST BEEF SANDWICH, PLEASE COME BACK, we miss you

To anyone who cares, I reposted under

misc.consumers.frugal-living --- "Neba Roast beef sandwich, where are
you???, account little response.

Roger

foodeater 25-12-2008 01:50 AM

In High School I worked at a Neba Roast Beef restaurant--the only one in the Chicago area, in Lincolnwood, Illinois. I worked there int he early 1970's. It went out of business by the late 1970's. At the time, even Arby's was selling "real" roast beef like Neba's, but later went the pressed/formed route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 735942)

liz kenneally 20-01-2009 02:54 AM

mr subb in new york is bringing back the neba,yay

cez1 01-02-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

[...]

I also love Roast beef sandwich it's very delicious.. I hope I could make my own.