Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default Food Ideas for 3 year old?

When I have my 3 y-o daughter for visitation, she seems to think it's ok
to eat McDonald's all the time and
chocolate donuts.

I am looking for new breakfast,lunch, and dinner ideas that will appeal to
her.

I also thought of taking pictures of the completed meals and putting them in
a book and let her "order" from it next time.
That way she could choose what she wanted and eat well at the same time.

S.O.S.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

"S.O.S." > wrote in
:

> When I have my 3 y-o daughter for visitation, she seems to
> think it's ok to eat McDonald's all the time and
> chocolate donuts.
>
> I am looking for new breakfast,lunch, and dinner ideas that
> will appeal to her.
>
> I also thought of taking pictures of the completed meals and
> putting them in a book and let her "order" from it next time.
> That way she could choose what she wanted and eat well at the
> same time.
>
> S.O.S.

Hello

She should eat the good food you eat. No ifs ands or buts.
She will not starve. Try it for 3 days. Take her to a park, miles
away from a McDonalds. Carry along a bag of fruit snacks, 100%
juice and have her help you eat the fruit. Share bites. Keep her
active and full of good foods. Even peanut butter sandwich no
jelly.

Let her help by choosing between an apple and banana or between
peas and beans etc..

Good luck
Posted to alt.food.recipes

I use a rice and chicken casserole as a mainstay for my 3 year old.

Prepare minute rice as directed but sub chicken broth for the water.
grill proportianate to rice chicken breast seasoned with salt and pepper.
let rest 10 min
1 can cream of mushroom or chicken
In a hot pan add a tablespoon of sesame seed oil then stri fry 2 cups of
broccoli until it turns color about a minute and a half.
Combine rice broccoli and soup mix with 1 cup of grated cheese.
dice chicken and add to rice mix and turn in gently. You don't want to beat
up the rice or the broccoli.
spoon into a ungreased oven safe dish
top with cheese and back until bubbly or brown on top whichever you prefer.

This can be used with beef and can be spiced up or down dependent on
variances in taste and what is in the pantry. Frozed peas are good instead
of broccoli and blanced baby carrots
go well to. Don't use hamburger unless it is well drained and lean.

"S.O.S." > wrote in message
> When I have my 3 y-o daughter for visitation, she seems to think it's ok
> to eat McDonald's all the time and
> chocolate donuts.
>
> I am looking for new breakfast,lunch, and dinner ideas that will appeal to
> her.
>
> I also thought of taking pictures of the completed meals and putting them
> in
> a book and let her "order" from it next time.
> That way she could choose what she wanted and eat well at the same time.
>
> S.O.S.

Member

I think that we as parents need to be creative about this. I try a lot of different meals to find what my daughter likes and dislikes. Of course, I love to cook! I've found that she prefers raw veggies over cooked ones, so often I'll just give her a salad instead of the cooked veggie. She tends to really like noodles, chicken, cheese, pork, etc. So I try to use those in at least a few of the meals I cook each week. Talk to her and see what else she likes. Perhaps, she's like to dip her meat and veggies in something like ranch dressing.

I don't let her picky eating stop me from cooking what I want to cook, but I do try to keep in mind what she will and won't eat.

A lot of times kids take control over their eating habits, and what can you do besides try creative ways to encourage them to eat properly by fixing foods that are nutritious and foods you know they will eat. You really are in a losing battle when it comes to trying to force them to eat, if they don't want to, they won't.

Good Luck! Below is a recipe that my daughter (Queen of picky) loves to eat along side some cooked green peas or a salad.

Favorite Mac & Cheese:

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup milk
1 cup water
3 tbsp flour
cheese, grated (minimum 1 cup, usually cheddar)
2 cup noodles (ziti, elbow, etc)

Cook Noodles. Cook meat and veggies over med heat until meat is brown and crumbly and veggies are soft. Add flour and milk, then water. Simmer, stirring often until mixture is thickened. Once thick add noodles and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through.

(I normally add more than a cup of cheese, I just add it until it looks cheesy enough.)

Need French Food Ideas Jeßus[_3_] General Cooking 0 08-06-2014 07:29 AM
Ideas For Extruded Food Don Martinich General Cooking 2 12-05-2010 01:23 AM
Food ideas [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 2 18-08-2005 12:21 PM
NEW FOOD IDEAS Helen General Cooking 14 15-06-2005 04:41 AM
Chinese New Year fundraiser inexpensive ideas? TaraDanielle General Cooking 3 08-12-2003 08:18 PM