Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

A1 WBarfieldsr

Default Enchilada Sauce (2) Collection

Enchilada Sauce
Green Enchilada Sauce

> From: Carol >
> Subject: Enchilada Sauce

> Once again, I've gone out for Mexican Food. Enchiladas are my favorite!

The reddish sauce that is put on them here in the Southwest is SOOOOO good
and about the only basic thing that I haven't been able to figure out how
to make. I've asked how it is done several times and all I've been told is
"red chilies and water or broth". There has to be more to it than that.
Can anyone enlighten me?? > Ladydesertrat

Here are a couple of recipes you might like, enjoy.

Enchilada Sauce

1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup onion, finely minced
1-2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup ground Cayenne powder
1 1/2 - 2 cups water
3 Tbsp.. flour
1/2 tsp. salt (use less if you use tomato sauce, as it is salty)
2 fresh tomatoes, pureed or about 10 oz. tomato sauce

In a skillet, brown the flour a little. Place oil in another saucepan and
saute the onion until transparent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
Add flour to mixture and stir well for 1 minute. Add the Cayenne chile
powder and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add water plus extra water to
thin if necessary. Puree the tomatoes with the salt. Add the tomato
mixture or tomato sauce, if desired. Simmer for at least 10 minutes, or
while you prepare the other ingredients for enchiladas. Will keep in
refrigerator for 1 week or may be frozen.

Green Enchilada Sauce

1 lbs fresh green tomatillos
1 cup water
4 serrano or jalapeno peppers
1 lime
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 bunch fresh parsley
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup white vinegar
1 clove garlic
1 medium yellow or white Spanish onion, peeled
cinnamon
nutmeg
sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Prepare green sauce by peeling tomatillos, washing, and soaking in cold
water for 10 minutes. Add water to blender, and puree tomatillos at high
speed until liquid. Add whole peppers, a handful of cilantro and parsley
to taste, the juice of one lime, oil, vinegar, garlic, and onion. Blend at
high speed until the liquid is homogeneous with suspended tomatillo seeds.

Add a small pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar, and salt and pepper.
Adjust seasoning to taste (slightly sweet, quite citrusy, and preferably
spicy). Simmer sauce, covered, in a deep pan over low heat 40 minutes.

--
William Barfieldsr

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

Lasagna, with enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce? zxcvbob General Cooking 13 22-04-2008 02:03 PM
Enchilada Sauce connie Mexican Cooking 6 08-05-2006 11:47 PM
Enchilada sauce zxcvbob Preserving 6 29-10-2005 04:02 PM
Enchilada Sauce Old Magic1 Mexican Cooking 0 18-02-2005 07:40 PM
Enchilada Sauce? Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 8 31-10-2003 10:14 AM