Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes
Bob

Default Bob's Pecan Pie

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> My SIL invited everyone to come for thanksgiving, so I volunteered to
> bring pie because it's easy to make in advance and to transport 3+
> hours up the freeway...
>
> I went to the store for ingredients this afternoon and got a big can
> of pumpkin for the pumpkin pie, a bag of fresh apples for apple pie,
> and two cans of dessert peaches to drain and use in a peach pie. There
> are going to be 20+ people there for the weekend so I need a couple
> more pies to make! Help me out please...

Bob's Pecan Pie

(This is a big recipe -- a 10" or deep dish 9 1/2" pie. It will not fit
in a 9" pan.)

4 eggs
3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. sugar (just use a slightly rounded 3/4 cup measure)
1 1/3 cup dark Karo syrup
7 Tbsp salted butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup pecan halves

[note: I usually use 1 cup of pecan halves and 1 cup of chopped walnuts
instead of 1 1/2 cup pecans]

I prepare the pastry shell and half-bake it while assembling the
filling. Notice the filling leaves a leftover 1 Tbsp butter from a
whole stick. I use it in the pastry dough. I think the recipe works OK
with an unbaked pie shell, but I don't remember.

This is about twice as much butter as the recipe on the Karo syrup
bottle, and I think it makes a big difference in the texture of the pie.
For a 9" pie, just use the recipe on the back of the Karo syrup bottle,
but increase the butter to 1/3 cup and add extra chopped nuts.

If I have light corn syrup instead of dark, I substitute brown sugar
(packed) for the granulated sugar.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Mix in the syrup
and sugar, then the eggs. You can turn up the heat a little at this
point if you want to. Mix continuously with a wire whisk until it is
hot and starting to change color, but still thin. I've never measured
it with a candy thermometer, but I guess it's about 150 degrees.
You should be able to *uncomfortably* stick your finger in the filling
without getting burned. Be careful not to scramble the eggs. If you
don't mix the filling well enough, most of the butter floats to the top
with the nuts when you bake it and the texture is not as good. Add the
nuts and mix them in well so they get thoroughly coated with the filling
mixture. Pour the hot filling into the pie shell and bake at 375 until
it just starts to "souffle" (puff up). By partially cooking the filling,
the whole filling gets done at about the same time (about 30 minutes)
and you don't have to mess with putting aluminum foil around the edge of
the crust to prevent it from scorching or worry about whether the pie is
done in the middle. Don't try to arrange pecan halves on top -- all the
nuts need to be mixed in the filling so they float to the top and get
candied. Start watching the pie at about 20 minutes so you don't
overbake it. Best served at room temperature. Cut the pieces kind of
small because it is extremely rich.

It's a lot easier than it sounds. It's actually easier than the
traditional method.

Best regards,
Bob

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

Pecan pie notbob[_5_] General Cooking 63 27-03-2011 08:27 AM
Pecan pie ImStillMags General Cooking 33 25-03-2011 08:29 PM
Pecan pie ImStillMags General Cooking 0 24-03-2011 08:13 PM
Best Pecan Pie Nancy Inman Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2007 02:57 PM
Pecan Pie [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-02-2005 03:51 AM