Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Kim Jackson

Default Zeet - Spicy Italian Sausage Wrap

Zeet - Spicy Italian Sausage Wrap

6 flat pita breads or burrito wrappers

1 pound Italian sausage

or 1 pound extra-lean ground pork with the following seasonings:
1 or 2 dried red chili peppers, crushed
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup marinara sauce
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet cook pork, mushrooms, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic
until no pink remains in pork. Drain well. Stir in the red chili peppers,
paprika, thyme, fennel seed, salt, and black pepper. Stir in the marinara
sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes to reduce
liquid. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
Spoon meat mixture onto the wrappers. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the
meat mixture; Roll up and wrap each roll in aluminum foil leavionh the top
open. Place wrap in a shallow baking pan or on a baking sheet. Bake in a
375 degree F oven for about 10 - 15 minutes or until cheese melts and
filling is hot.

Makes 6 servings.

Notes: My supermarket sells a pita-type bread which is not hollow. I use
this to wrap the filling. I have also used large burritos but you need to
find the thicker ones so it won.t tear as you are eating it. The pizza
sauce in a jar also works well in this.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: