Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Default Scrambled Eggs

Annmarie Pereira wrote:

>I can.t make good scrambled eggs. Mine are rubbery.
>Is there a recioe for delicious creamy scrambled eggs?

You're probably simply over-cooking them. Or letting them sit instead of
serving them right away. Either makes them hard, dry or rubbery. Easy to
do, especially with all the worries about raw or partially-cooked eggs.
However, scrambled eggs actually continue to cook for several seconds
after they're removed from the heat source. If they aren't pretty moist
when you take the pan off the heat, they're already over-cooked. So what
you do is remove from the heat just *before* fully cooked. Best
explanation I can give is to get the pan off the burner when there's still
a film of uncooked egg-white showing over them all. They'll have a rather
obvious moist, glistening look, but shouldn't be too gooey. (yeah, I know,
that's really definitive - not. LOL) Keep stirring them in the pan, and
after about 30 seconds or so, they won't be wet, will obviously be fully
cooked -- but *not* dry and rubbery. Then serve immediately to get them
out of that hot pan, or they'll continue to cook. Plus, you always
scramble eggs on a fairly high heat, so they cook fast. Long cooking
toughens them too.

As to a recipe... Ok, description of a method, rather. I don't really
like restaurant scrambled eggs; no texture. They look like something that
came pre-liquified from a carton, which they probably did. I grew up on
scrambled eggs that weren't beaten up before being put in the skillet. Nor
did we add milk, or any other liquid. They weren't a one-color,
same-texture mass; but *were* light, moist and delicious. Here's what my
mom taught me:

Scrambled Eggs
(for 2 people)

4 eggs
Approx. 1 teaspoon butter, margarine, shortening, bacon grease, oil -
whatever (amount and content depends on size of the skillet and your
dietary needs.
increase proportionately if you're using more eggs.)

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, until you can distinctly feel
the heat when holding your hand about 4" above the pan. Add whatever
you're using to grease the pan, and wait just until it melts and heats up.
Crack 4 eggs directly into the pan. With a large spoon, stir a few times
to break up the eggs, then season lightly with salt and pepper. (At this
point, add in anything else you may season them with; I like 'em plain.)
Continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until eggs
are mostly cooked but still moist. Remove skillet from heat to let eggs
finish cooking, for another 30 seconds or so, stirring once or twice.
Taste and correct the seasonings, dish up fast, then devour.

Note: For that amount of eggs, the actual cooking process takes about 2
minutes or so after the eggs hit the pan. Obviously, a bigger batch takes
longer. But even if you're making enough for several people, it still
shouldn't take much more than 5-6 minutes, tops. And that'd be for a *big*
batch of scrambled eggs.

Monica

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at
.