Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Lindatn

Default Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce (7) Collection

Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce
Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce
Coney Island Hot Dog
Traditional Coney Island Hot Dog
Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce
Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce
Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce

Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
15 ounces tomato sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Accent
1 teaspoon salt

Brown ground beef, breaking with fork until fine. Drain if greasy. Add
all other ingredients to beef and simmer in crock-pot 6 to 8 hours. Stir
often.

Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce

2 Tbsp. oil or shortening
1/2 lb. ground meat
1 onion, finely chopped (we used a medium-sized onion, about 3/4 cup
chopped)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 1/2 Cup. water
3 Tbsp. vinegar
1/4 C. sweet relish
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 or 2 tsp. prepared mustard
1/8 tsp. pepper
Dash cayenne pepper

Heat oil in saucepan. Brown meat and onion together, breaking meat up in
fine pieces. Stir in tomato paste, water, vinegar, relish and salt.
Simmer for 25 minutes. Blend in chili powder, mustard and peppers.
Simmer for 5 minutes more.

Makes 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups of sauce -- enough for about 12 hot dogs.

Coney Island Hot Dog

This recipe was taken from the New York Cook Book. By Golden West
Publisher.

1 tbst. butter
1 1/2 lbs. uncooked lean ground beef
2 med. onions, chopped
1 tbst. prepared yellow mustard
1 can (6 oz.) tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
6 oz. water
2 tbst. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
4 or 5 hot dogs, ground
hot dogs
hot dogs buns
yellow mustard
white or spanish onions
tabasco, if desired

Place all sauce ingredients (except ground hot dogs) in a saucepan and
simmer until thick. Add ground hot dogs to sauce; cook 15 minutes
longer. Place whole hot dogs on buns, place a stripe of mustard along
one side. Spread a spoonful of onions on top of the mustard. Spread a
spoonful of chili sauce down the opposite side of hot dog. Add Tabasco
and then push everything down so you can close the bun Yum-Yum

Here is some info I found on the net, that you may be interested in
reading..hopefully your taste buds will let you know which recipe is the
one you want.....

With the combination of flavors from the chili sauce, the onions and the
mustard, the Coney Island hot dog is again a handy and tasty finger
food.

Hot dog buns - small buns but fresh. They have to be soft enough
to let you push the onions and chili into the side of the bun without
the bun splitting.
Chopped onions - white or Spanish onions are best. They need to be
sharp in taste so the sweeter Vidalia type onions are usually not the
best choice.
Yellow mustard. Plain old yellow mustard is best for Coney Island
hot dogs. They sort of evolved together. You could use a designer
mustard but it wont be as good as if you had used good ol' French's
Mustard.
Chili sauce - serveral recipes for "authentic" Coney Island chili
sauce, as well as some others, are included below.
Hot pepper sauce - Suggest Pat's Special Blend Hot Sauce but
Tabasco will do nicely.

Traditional Coney Island Hot Dog

Grill hot dogs, warm buns.
Place hot dog in bun. Place stripe of mustard along side hot dog.
Place spoonful of onions along side of hot dog on same side as
mustard.
Place spoonful of chili sauce along opposite side of hot dog. Use
finger to push onions and chili down along side of hot dog and into the
side of the bun until you can close-up the bun. Add hot sauce if
desired. It is rready to eat.
The secret here is proportions. It will take a bit of experimentation to
get it right but that's okay. You get to eat the test results. It is a
balance of the mustard, onions, chili sauce and the hot dog. No single
ingredient should predominate - it is the blend that makes the
distinctive flavor of the Coney Island hot dog.

I talked for a bit with the owner of the Coney Island stand. He didn't
give much to help me figure out the recipe for his chili sauce - and
that is the one ingredient that makes the Coney Island hot dog unique.
Did a few taste tests and then a few more several days later. Started to
get a feel for what was in it. Also did some research on the internet
and found several recipes, all "authentic," and all different. Some very
different. Pick one you like and give it a try. Enjoy a real,
"authentic" Coney Island hot dog.

Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce

(Joyce S. - Recipes Online)

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon prepared regular mustard
1 6-ounce can tomato sauce
6 ounces water
2 tablespoons chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
4 or 5 wieners

Combine everything except wieners and simmer until thick. Do not
brown ground beef first.
Grind the wieners and add to sauce. Cook 15 minutes longer.
Now, some chefs, if the sauce is too thin, added a few crumbled
soda crackers to the sauce. Put over hot dogs in a bun.

Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce

(Charlotte Lewis - Recipes Online)

6 ounces tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup pickle relish
1 tablespoon instant minced onion
1 tablespoon mustard
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar

In a medium saucepan, cook meat, crumbling with a fork, until it
loses its red color.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Serve over hot dogs in buns.
I have experimented with several chili sauce recipes. Some of them
similar to the above recipes. I keep the cooked sauce in a jar in the
fridge so that I can grab a quickie Coney Island dof whenever the urge
strikes.

The above recipes seem to treat the Coney Island as a mundane chili dog.
They seem to neglect the traditional garnishes - the raw chopped onions
and the mustard. After looking at the recipes that I found on the
internet and remembering the taste tests of the real Coney Island hot
dogs, I came up with the following recipe that does a nice job of
minicing the "secret" Coney Island sauce. I hope that you like it.

Coney Island Hot Dog Sauce

3 Ingredients (Larry Andersen)

1 large white onion diced fine
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (I use Bull's Eye Original Western)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 clove garlic, minced fine

In frying pan, brown meat until no longer red. Break up into very
small pieces. Skim off most of the fat.
Add onions and garlic, cook until onions are transparent. Add
other ingredients and simmer while stirring.
May add a little water if sauce too thick when cooking but the
finished sauce should be almost dry.
Taste sauce. Chili pungemncy should be present but not too hot.
The finished sauce need to have a bit of a bite but mostly flavor to
meld with the mustard, onions and grilled hot dog.
Sauce will keep for a week in a covered container in the
refrigerator.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives: