Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Lindatn

Default Low Fat Cabbage Soup

Request From: "jkirkman" >
Hi, I am looking for a low fat cabbage soup that was all the rage a few
years ago. If anyone has this recipe to share I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Mary Kirkman

Here's the cabbage soup recipe.

Cabbage Soup

1 head cabbage
6 green onions
2 green peppers
1 can diced tomatoes
1 bunch celery
1 pack Lipton onion soup mix (using self made vegetable broth tastes
better)

Cut the vegetables into bite size pieces.
You can salute the vegetables a little in a frying pan first. Add
a little salt and pepper for flavor if you want.
Mix everything in a large pot, and add enough water to cover
everything.
Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down, and simmer until the
veggies are soft.
Cabbage contains many nutrients, and is healthy for the body, and hence
the cabbage soup recipe will do you good if you serve it once awhile
with other varieties of foods. However, as we discuss in the previous
article (see link above) cabbage soup diet is not good for you health.

Cabbage Soup Diet

Why It's a Fad Diet And Why You Shouldn't Try It

The Cabbage Soup Diet is a fad diet, and has gained popularity because
it allows you to lose a few quick pounds by eating/drinking the cabbage
soup recipe! Please, for your own health's sake, do not try the cabbage
soup diet. It doesn't make nutritional sense, it doesn't taste too good,
and all the pounds you lose from cabbage soup diet is all water pounds -
meaning all the weight you lose is water, not actual body fat.

About Cabbage Soup Diet - If You Didn't Know
Here's a quick run down of the cabbage soup diet for those of you who
are not sure what it is, and are interested. This 'diet' based on
cabbage soup 'claims' that the more soup you eat, that more weight you
lose. Doesn't that sound great? Who wouldn't love to eat more and yet
lose more weight? The truth is, you just lose water weight.

The basis of this diet is that cabbage soup contains very little
calories, that it's a "fat burning" soup. (How silly!) The dieters can
eat/drink all the water and cabbage soup they want, combined with very
few other allowed foods. (This is JUST NOT healthy!) I suppose if you
really wanted to lose a few pounds real fast to fit a dress for a
special occasion, you might want to try this diet... But, I highly
recommend against it. It's just not good common sense... And, there's no
scientific support for such a diet, and it's unhealthy.

Now you know what the cabbage soup diet is about, here's the 7 day diet
plan:

Day 1: Eat as much soup as you want, but eat only fruits(no bananas),
drink unsweetened tea, black coffee, cranberry juice, and water.

Day 2: Eat raw or cooked vegetables all you want, but avoid beans, peas
and corn. No fruits, and eat all the cabbage soup you want. Have a baked
potato with butter at dinner.

Day 3: You can eat as much fruit and veggies as you want, but no baked
potato.

Day 4: Bananas and skimmed milk with as much cabbage soup as you want.

Day 5: Eat 10 to 20 ounces of beef and up to 6 tomatoes. Eat cabbage
soup at least once, and drink 6 to 8 glasses of water.

Day 6: Stuff yourself with veggies and beef. Eat the cabbage soup at
least once. No baked potato.

Day 7: Stuff yourself with brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and
veggies. Eat cabbage soup at least once. No bread, alcohol, or diet
soda.

Why You Shouldn't Try The Cabbage Soup Diet
Can you believe how ridiculous this cabbage soup diet is??? It doesn't
even look healthy, and you can bet it's NOT healthy for your body. If
you're smart, stay away from this diet. 10 to 20 ounces of beef in one
day?? That's eating about 1.5 pounds of beef in one day! Your body isn't
designed to handle such stress of eating so much meat. Especially beef
contains more fat than pork, chicken or any other type of white meat!
For the first steps and essentials to eating less meat, and eating
healthy, click here.

Just seeing the cabbage soup diet instructions should turn you away from
it. It makes no nutritional sense. The first rule of good dieting is
provide your body with good nutrition, and this is accomplished by
eating a variety of foods. The cabbage soup diet severely restricts your
food varieties each day.

Vegetables are important part of all healthy diets. Cabbage is a very
healthy vegetable, but it's no super food. A moderate amount from all
types of food is the best way for healthy dieting.

Most importantly, for a diet to be viable, you have to be able to stick
to it. Most people can't get through the 7 day cabbage soup diet. The
weight that you lose through the cabbage soup diet is mostly water, and
you'll easily gain it back. So...

Please, stay away from the cabbage soup diet.

Good health, personal wellness, and weight loss is not achieved with fad
diets like the cabbage soup diet, but with old fashioned healthy eating
habits, and regular exercise. I can't help you with the exercise part,
that you need to do yourself

If you insist on trying the cabbage soup diet even after you've read all
this, there's not much I can do. But please consult your physician or
doctor before trying the cabbage soup diet. If I've convinced you not to
try the cabbage soup diet, then I've accomplished something.
Nevertheless, that doesn't mean you can't serve the cabbage soup as a
dish for regular, healthy eating. Cabbage is very good for you, when
eating moderate amounts of it.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

Sicko’s Soup (Cabbage Soup. GREAT for Sickness) DinkingAround Recipes 0 19-03-2014 10:10 PM
My Cabbage Soup Tim Recipes 0 04-01-2006 12:26 PM
Cabbage Soup Tim Recipes 0 04-01-2006 12:26 PM
Cabbage Soup FERGUSFREECYCLE Recipes (moderated) 0 20-09-2005 02:30 AM
Cabbage Soup Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 12-09-2005 03:27 AM